quitting is for christians

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gotholic said:
Two years ago I gave up drinking pop. Last year I gave up pop and sweats.

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to give up this year. I'm probably going to give up pop, sweats, and fried food.

Every year I try to make it harder and harder on myself.

Is that what you are supposed to do? or is it a matter of choice?

jsut asking cause I don't know and would like to know

Gotholic

tonksy, I would just like to comment on what you have said. I do not mean to be condescending. I have my own sins too that I need to work out.

tonksy said:
What? Part of being a christian is admitting your sins
We's all sinners, honey.

That is part of it, yes. But then there is an important part you skip and that is to repent.

tonksy said:
What do you want me to do? Leave Rob? I atone for my sins on a daily basis because I sin on a daily basis...but I also believe that there is a path laid out for you by God and Rob is part of my path.

You do not atone for your sins by still having the intent on doing them again. That is great that you believe that Rob is part of your path God has for you. But I think you know that fornication is not part of that path. Fornication is not just a sin but a mortal one as well.

Gotholic

paul_valaru said:
Is that what you are supposed to do? or is it a matter of choice?

jsut asking cause I don't know and would like to know

You should give up something that will be a challenge to do. Whether or not you want to make it harder on yourself than the year before is your choice.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gotholic said:
tonksy, I would just like to comment on what you have said. I do not mean to be condescending. I have my own sins too that I need to work out.

That is part of it, yes. But then there is an important part you skip and that is to repent.

You do not atone for your sins by still having the intent on doing them again. That is great that you believe that Rob is part of your path God has for you. But I think you know that fornication is not part of that path. Fornication is not just a sin but a mortal one as well.

but it came out super-condescending.

her beliefs, her life, her relationship with god.

Gotholic

paul_valaru said:
but it came out super-condescending.

her beliefs, her life, her relationship with god.

It is evident that she is Catholic. I gave a Catholic response to a fellow Catholic.

To admit to one's own sins and not repent is not Catholic like. I was just stressing that point to a fellow Catholic.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
she said christian, not catholic, but that is neither here nor there. if you want people to respect your choices, you have to respect thiers.

Gotholic

paul_valaru said:
she said christian, not catholic, but that is neither here nor there. if you want people to respect your choices, you have to respect thiers.

To give up things you like during lent is a Catholic behavior. Even if I was wrong to assume she was Catholic (whch I may have) it is still a general Chrisitan belief to repent for one's sins.

It would contradict the Christian faith to believe it is alright not to repent. I was only pointing that out - nothing more.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gotholic said:
Two years ago I gave up drinking pop. Last year I gave up pop and sweets.

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to give up this year. I'm probably going to give up pop, sweets, and fried food.

Every year I try to make it harder and harder on myself.

Just give up pop once and for all then move to harder stuff :p

nalani

Goth - there's a couple of threads in "Real World" that you'd be better pissing people off at .. go take a look :D

tonksy - man, if you're a subcrining to mortal sin then I'm sunk! Oh no .. wait .. I've got my "Get out of the gates of hell free" card, otherwise knows as my degree in Religious Studies LOL

Just for the record, not all Christians practice lent ... I grew up LDS (Mormon, for those who are LDS-illiterate :D) ... we never practiced lent.

LMAO @ Homey and Inky

tonksy

First off everybody, I am Christian. A Christian who has spent a good deal of time living in a Catholic area. I admire the process of Lent and follow through with it as a means to put my religious beliefs and perspective in order.
Gothoholic and everyone else that just does not seem to get it - I have my beliefs. I believe that I am living in sin. I believe that I am fornicating. But I KNOW that Ron...er, ROB doesn't believe in God or marriage so the only way that I can remedy this situation is to leave him and I just don't believe that is what I am meant to do. I pray every night for forgiveness for the situation I am in (so don't tell me how to repent)....But the reality is that my life is more blessed in these past 2 years than it has been in the first 29. I refuse to believe that God wants me to leave. The Lord works in mysterious ways and I believe I am a tool of his. Only he can know his intent in this situation. I will continue to have my faith, REPENT FOR MY SINS, and do what I believe to be right....and incidently, I intend not to point out the stick in other peoples eyes while ignoring the plank in my own (something that other people might do well to do).

HomeLAN

Gotholic said:

Seems to me I've said this before, but it obviously didn't manage to penetrate your overly zealous neurons, so I'll repeat it.

Go preach somewhere ELSE!

tonksy

Gothoholic - you are now on my ignore list but before I forget about you let me just say that I understand that you are trying to be a good Christian and a good witness. But if it is one thing I would have you know it is that you are going about it in the wrong way- the witness part anyway. To be a good witness means that you live a good life yourself and embrace other people and are understanding and offer compassion as well as counsel. You come across very holierthanthou in your approach, something that is never welcome and is never true. All sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord and no one is without sin, except for Jesus. That is the basic tenet of Christian belief. I struggle with my sin and your struggle with yours and we help each other along the way. We also cannot know of Gods plan. I wil not go into how marriage was created by man well after the 10 Commandments were passed down and even after the birth of Christ, that is really not the issue. If you think for one minute that I am turning a blind eye to my situation than you are wrong...not to mention insulting to me.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Tonks, he may be trying to be a good CATHOLIC but he isn't being a good CHRISTIAN...not in the eyes of EVERY Christian religion anyway. My church EMBRACES unwed parents, single parents, unmarried couples. Actually, my church embraces everyone who is a kind, loving, thoughtful, generous, etc. person. We believe that we are here to do God's work in the sense of helping others, loving others, living a fulfilling life, etc.

Gotholic: Catholicism is NOT the only Christian religion and not every Christian religion shares the Catholic view of sex and other such things. So while it may be a Christian belief to repent for ones sins in some Christian religions living together without being married is NOT as deadly of a sin as you're making it out to be, infact in some it's a non-issue. So, take your preachy way ELSEWHERE because we don't wanna hear it.

Professur

tonksy said:
Gothoholic - you are now on my ignore list but before I forget about you let me just say that I understand that you are trying to be a good Christian and a good witness. But if it is one thing I would have you know it is that you are going about it in the wrong way- the witness part anyway. To be a good witness means that you live a good life yourself and embrace other people and are understanding and offer compassion as well as counsel. You come across very holierthanthou in your approach, something that is never welcome and is never true. All sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord and no one is without sin, except for Jesus. That is the basic tenet of Christian belief. I struggle with my sin and your struggle with yours and we help each other along the way. We also cannot know of Gods plan. I wil not go into how marriage was created by man well after the 10 Commandments were passed down and even after the birth of Christ, that is really not the issue. If you think for one minute that I am turning a blind eye to my situation than you are wrong...not to mention insulting to me.

I'd just (21) like to add a side note. Tonks "is" married, according to "Catholic" dogma. I don't believe that she's been granted a divorce by the pope. Therefore, Goth, would you have her compound her sin with polygamy?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Gotholic said:
It is evident that she is Catholic. I gave a Catholic response to a fellow Catholic.

To admit to one's own sins and not repent is not Catholic like. I was just stressing that point to a fellow Catholic.
Matthew 7.1.