Quitting the ol' Cancer-sticks

chcr

Too cute for words
Like Homey and GF, cold turkey worked for me too. Do you control your life or do cigarettes?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I quit cold turkey too, it's been 6 years. I completely agree with gf, all you need is will and everything else stopping you from quitting are just excuses.

MrBishop

Professur said:
And for the record, before everyone here, you've no idea where my heart is. But I'll tell you.
That's about what I thought. Like I said...your heart's in the right place.

Now... d'ya seriously think that I'm trying to quit for myself?
I like smoking...feels great. I'm sure ya felt the same way when you were smoking. I'm sure pretty much every smoker out there feels the same, right down to the guy blocking his throat-tube to inhale yet another cigarette before his lung surgery.

If it was all about 'me,me,me', I wouldn't even be trying to quit.

T'aint about me though, isit? The very fact that I'm trying to quit should give you an idea of who I AM trying to quit for. Hell...you just stated it yourself.

...and for the record, I know that I was an idiot when I started smoking. No excuses. It happened. This thread was about me trying to quit. Would you rather I not try at all?

Winky

MrBishop said:
Would you rather I not try at all?

Yep

and as someone entering his 31st year of puffin'
on the evil tah-backy I'm sick and tired of hearing
people whine about 'trying to quit'.

I was at work the other night and a dude walked by and asked if I smoked and if he could bum one. I said
"Dude, I've not run out of smokes at work in months. I'm planning to stop first thing on the way home and get a pack. I'll get you one too and drop em' back by."

He's all like "Oh no it is just that I'm trying to quit and
and I've run out of them nicotine lozenges
I just wanted a coupla cigs til I could get some more lozenges."

Funny stuff, I got him a pack of his fav's Marlboro 27's
(never heard of them before) his buddies around him
frowned on my enabling his addiction.
Hell from one junkie to another: if yer gonna give up the smack
give it up and don't look back or smoke til you drop and enjoy it
but don't whine like an old woman in some kinda nether region in-between.

tonksy

I wonder what it is that makes some people have an addictive personality and some not. It's a funny bit of human psychology. If I ever wanted to quit something I just stopped. When I was younger and less tolerant I wrote it off to other people were weak instead of understanding that I am apparently lucky or blessed. I wonder what Freud would have said.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
tonksy said:
When I was younger and less tolerant I wrote it off to other people were weak.

See what happens when liberalism is allowed to spread? You understood so clearly.

catocom

I haven't quit yet, but I haven't giving up on quitting.
I figure if I keep thinking about it everyday, and stay conscious of how much I smoke,
the old sub-conscious will kick in eventually, and I'll stop. (the power on intention)
I'll try to actively put forth more effort on it when I don't have so much stress haunting me. :confused:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
catocom said:
I'll try to actively put forth more effort on it when I don't have so much stress haunting me. :confused:

Or say to yourself...No more excuses, I quit. Then follow thru. It is tough but it's also doable, if you chose to. (30 years)

HomeLAN

Winky said:
if yer gonna give up the smack
give it up and don't look back or smoke til you drop and enjoy it
but don't whine like an old woman in some kinda nether region in-between.

This is one of those (RARE) times when wee willie winky actually makes perfect sense.

catocom

Gonz said:
Or say to yourself...No more excuses, I quit. Then follow thru. It is tough but it's also doable, if you chose to. (30 years)
I know all that too, but you don't know my situation.

chcr

Too cute for words
If you don't want to quit, you won't. If you do want to quit you will. Period. Saying you want to but can't is a lie.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Nicotine is tougher to withdraw from than is heroin.

That being said, it's doable. Too many people have done it for it to be impossible. As for myself, I have tried before and failed. I get closer each time, and I know a few things about the process. My psych training negates so many of the things that help others because I know the "trick" behind it. That sucks, but it also gives me a clear strategy...namely, identify my triggers, eliminate or reduce them, and tough it out past that. When I feel that I can do that with some modicum of realistic chance for success, I will. Until, I won't try and only end up putting myself and my family through the unpleasantness.

Professur

chcr said:
If you don't want to quit, you won't. If you do want to quit you will. Period. Saying you want to but can't is a lie.

So close. I do believe that some people can't quit, no matter how much they want. But then, I've a very low opinion of the human race to begin with. They rank right up there with pedophiles. The biology is too much for them.

Winky

catocom said:
but you don't know my situation.
Dood you shouldn't quit
think about it
it brings you enjoyment
something in short supply
why deprive yourself for some
unguaranteed extension of the twilight of your life

"Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette
Puff, puff, puff until you smoke yourself to death.

Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate
That you hate to make him wait,
But you just gotta have another cigarette."

Winky goes off to twist up a Bugler and burns one.