Quitting the ol' Cancer-sticks

chcr

Too cute for words
majestyx said:
I say quit, you say paused. :D

And, I didn't give up the smoking friends NOR the beer in that time either!
"Let's call the whole thing off..." :lol:

I still hang with a lot of people who smoke and drink too. It's kind of hard to go to blues clubs and keep away from them anyway.

catocom

Professur said:
You're not just giving up smoking. You're giving up all that goes with smoking. You're suddenly having to try and find something to do for those 15 minute breaks. You're giving up the "after-dinner-smoke". The "with-a-beer-smoke". And not to mention the "after-sex-smoke". Horrifically, you must endure the morning coffee without it's trusty companion. You either give up the smoke break at work, or give up the smoking friends.

Sound silly? It is. But it's still true, and every quitter has to deal with it.
and that's why I'm keeping it in the front of my mind. I've gotta get used to "being" a non-smoker.
Once I get my mind started better in that direction, I think it'll be easier.

tonksy

I know how I'll make the family fortune! I'll buy a beautiful island and build a resort on it. Seafood buffet, all the fresh pineapple, coconuts, and bananas you could want, massages by scantily clad individuals, snorkling AND ABSOLUTELY NO CIGARETTES! You can book your stay in increments of a week, come to my island and get it outta your system in the most delicious way possible!.......Now I just need to be able to buy that island.

Professur

tonksy said:
I know how I'll make the family fortune! I'll buy a beautiful island and build a resort on it. Seafood buffet, all the fresh pineapple, coconuts, and bananas you could want, massages by scantily clad individuals, snorkling AND ABSOLUTELY NO CIGARETTES! You can book your stay in increments of a week, come to my island and get it outta your system in the most delicious way possible!.......Now I just need to be able to buy that island.

Wouldn't work. Habits are environment specific. Anyone can quit smoking on vacation. It's keeping quit when you get home that's tough. Not buying cigs when you go to the corner store for milk. Not reaching for the pack as you slide your feet out from under the covers.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I don't know. I was a smoker, full time. Having an extra-long meal took heavy-duty willpower in non-smoking restaurants.

Professur

Gonz said:
I don't know. I was a smoker, full time. Having an extra-long meal took heavy-duty willpower in non-smoking restaurants.

that's my point. Your habit was food-smoke. Putting you into an environment where smoking can't happen made you wait. But had no effect on you when cigarettes were reintroduced to the environment. What you need is cigarettes right in front of you, and to just walk away. Otherwise you would have to stay on tonks' island for the rest of your life.

tonksy

Professur said:
that's my point. Your habit was food-smoke. Putting you into an environment where smoking can't happen made you wait. But had no effect on you when cigarettes were reintroduced to the environment. What you need is cigarettes right in front of you, and to just walk away. Otherwise you would have to stay on tonks' island for the rest of your life.
Well...at least it would be financially profitable for me...

Professur

So ... you're volunteering to keep Gonz company for the rest of his life? I'll buy the island for the video rights. This aught to make UFC look like a kindergarden spat.

catocom

My dad has quit for about 4 months now. He had to, and still has to use an
oxygen machine periodically. (in a house with 3 other smokers, but stays in his room)
That has had a profound effect on me mentally, seeing what it's done to him
even this long after quitting.
I'm not going to wait too long like he did here.
My retry attempt is getting close. I've got myself limited to 5-6 a day now.

Oh, no, there won't be endless tomorrows. :blank:

Winky

Nah yer Pa made the mistake of living long enough
for the effects of smoking to catch up to him.

Die young
Stay pretty
Live fast
cuz it won't last

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
catocom said:
My dad has quit for about 4 months now. He had to, and still has to use an
oxygen machine periodically. (in a house with 3 other smokers, but stays in his room)
That has had a profound effect on me mentally, seeing what it's done to him
even this long after quitting.
I'm not going to wait too long like he did here.
My retry attempt is getting close. I've got myself limited to 5-6 a day now.

Oh, no, there won't be endless tomorrows. :blank:

If your dad's health is so bad the loving thing to do would be for the rest of you smokers to brave the cold if you still want to slowly kill yourselfs...instead of making it so he has to stay in his room all the time!