Racism as a self-fulfilling prophesy

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MrBishop said:
but mulato *no offence meant by the term*

Right there. That's where we start. How can a nation, a hemisphere, a wolrd, much less an individual, be free to state opinions or fact when we're too scared to say something offensive. If somebody is offended, they'll get over it. Or not. There can never be a truly realistic & honest discussion about race until we're able to speak openly & freely.

I've never had a problem with any group. There are specific individuals that I'd like to take out & shoot, some that I'd want to just shake some sense into & many that are just flat out ignored. I've personally witnessed more black on white discrimination than the reverse. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I've just witnessed less. Mostly because the whites are too scared of saying or doing anything, in case they're being prejudiced.

We have differences. Why is it considered uncouth to point them out or talk about them? I asked a black friend about the coloring of tattoo's on his skin. Why? Because of our different melanin content. I didn't know how well they would show up. He laughed & said that I was the only white guy with the balls to ask such a question. Too bad. We have much to learn & nobody is willing to ask or answer.

MrBishop

Gonz said:
Right there. That's where we start.
My ex-wife was offended by the term, although from what I understand, it's perfectly accepteable for most. She felt that since it was a term used to describe mules that were neither black nor white, that it should still be the case. In this particular instance, it's a personal choice that I make in trying NOT to insult someone else who may be reading this and have the same attitude/beliefs. Call me PC if you want to, but would you have felt the same way if I had replaced the term mulatto with...f'r instance...Nigger ?

mrbishop said:
My ex-wife is Jamaican, but only half-nigger *no offence meant by the term*.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
ris said:
fire in the hole!

*dives for cover*

:D

To end this particularly bad area, I'll say this. The term 'nigger' only refers to blacks born/raised in the US. Of course, you all realize, that all blacks in the US who have US ancestry are related to US whites, which is why the term is particularly offensive. Face gacts, ladies and gentlemen, we are related.

chcr

Too cute for words
all blacks in the US who have US ancestry are related to US whites
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Ultimately, we are all related, unless you believe that humans evolved simultaneously in several different locations. Another evolutionary note that seems to never get mentioned, is that the human race probably started in Africa, which means we all had black ancestors. Curious, hmmm?:rolleyes:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Ultimately, we are all related, unless you believe that humans evolved simultaneously in several different locations. Another evolutionary note that seems to never get mentioned, is that the human race probably started in Africa, which means we all had black ancestors. Curious, hmmm?:rolleyes:

Aside from that tid-bit, I'm referring to the days of slavery, when it was no longer legal to 'import' slaves from Africa.

MrBishop

Thank you Gato.

A quick message to all who ran: I know that the term is very negative. I also know that the majority of you are intelligent enough to know that it was not aimed at anyone, nor meant to harm. I believe that I did prove my point though.

We don't need to tip-toe around people of different races than ourselves on the off chance that it may offend, but that doesn't exclude us from being polite. If being PC means being polite...then colour me PC, head to toe.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MrBishop said:
but that doesn't exclude us from being polite. If being PC means being polite...then colour me PC, head to toe.

I wholeheartedly agree. Polite conversation is a better way to go. There is still the fact the there are words, used by both sides, that people tip-toe around to avoid controversy when in fact, it's a legitimate question/statement.

Thulsa Doom

Well Ive never found the term mulato offensive myself and I am one. A few of my closest friends have even effectionately called me oreo. its all in the delivery. words are just words. some of my black friends call me "nigga" and some of my white friends call me "crakka". I get the best of both non PC worlds. :D

AnomalousEntity

I didnt read all the comments but I agree.

And it seems that maybe if everyone just shut the hell up about it, much of the type problems you mentioned would go away.

It would only exsist for a select few of outdated old folks and would eventually die off. What ever acts of racism on their part could hopefully be quitely dealt with in court...

Well in a perfect world...

In the real world you here things about racism and prejudice so much that it seems people needed concern themselves with propagating it...the media will do it for us just fine....