Recession? We don' need no steenkeen recession!

catocom

This is going to be an exciting time, although tough.
I keep hearing people talking about this being a failure of the house...
your side, my side....pointing the fingures.

I've gotta say...
I've Never been more confedent in some of our representatives.
THIS display is Exactly the way it Should work.

Not this fly-by-night bullshit.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I keep hearing people talking about this being a failure of the house...
your side, my side....pointing the fingures.

A victory by the House.

As for whose fault it is, the Dems hold controlling interest in the House & Senate. Why didn't they pass this last week, without any Republicans?

spike

A victory by the House.

As for whose fault it is, the Dems hold controlling interest in the House & Senate. Why didn't they pass this last week, without any Republicans?

Whose fault? Are you against it or not?

spike

The Fed said fuck it. Gonna steal the money anyway.

Fed Pumps Further $630 Billion Into Financial System (Update3)

By Scott Lanman and Craig Torres
Enlarge Image/Details

Sept. 29 (Bloomberg) -- The Federal Reserve will pump an additional $630 billion into the global financial system, flooding banks with cash to alleviate the worst banking crisis since the Great Depression.

The Fed increased its existing currency swaps with foreign central banks by $330 billion to $620 billion to make more dollars available worldwide. The Term Auction Facility, the Fed's emergency loan program, will expand by $300 billion to $450 billion. The European Central Bank, the Bank of England and the Bank of Japan are among the participating authorities.

The Fed's expansion of liquidity, the biggest since credit markets seized up last year, came hours before the U.S. House of Representatives rejected a $700 billion bailout for the financial industry. The crisis is reverberating through the global economy, causing stocks to plunge and forcing European governments to rescue four banks over the past two days alone.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a9MTZEgukPLY&refer=home

MrBishop

A victory by the House.

Because the bill wasn't good enough? There are people on all sides of this aisle erjecting the initial propsal. It'll go back and return with some new makeup on Wednesday for another vote.

catocom

A victory by the House.

because they already knew many of the dems were not going for it either.
Paulson, Frank, and a few others should step down. Too much Vested Personal interest.

This was such a display of "cover my own ass", that it wasn't even real looking.
They couldn't even run a good con game.

catocom

had to cross post this

I keep hearing people using the analogy about this mess being like a car crash on a freeway, and traffic is backing up.

Pisses me off.
More like a suicide bomber blewup the car, and took many out with him, and
now the gov wants to hit all of um with the defibulator to try to bring um back to life, meanwhile the backup continues, and some are turning around to take a better route.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Whose fault? Are you against it or not?

Absolutely against. However, if the Dems are so hell bent on "fixing" this problem, let them use thier power.

Because the bill wasn't good enough? There are people on all sides of this aisle erjecting the initial propsal. It'll go back and return with some new makeup on Wednesday for another vote.

Because it's not the job of the federal governtment to prop up failing private corporations.

spike

Absolutely against. However, if the Dems are so hell bent on "fixing" this problem, let them use thier power.

Did you get the idea somehow that it was just Dems that wanted to fix this problem? How is it you end up ignoring such easily accessible facts?

"Stepping before the cameras for the second time in 24 hours to implore the House of Representatives to back the Bill, a sign of how his influence has all but vanished in the waning months of his presidency, Mr Bush repeated his warnings that a failure to get the package would trigger dire economic consequences.

"The reality is we're in an urgent situation and the consequences will get bigger each day we do not act. We're facing a choice between action and the real prospect of economic hardship for millions of Americans," Mr Bush said. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article4853975.ece

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
lemme 'splain it to you Lucy....

The Democrats hold a majority in the House & the Senate. The President wants to hand cash over to the fed. Nancy, as Speaker of the House & Senate majority leader Reid can write a bill & call for a vote without the Republicans even being present. WHy not get down to business. No need for partisan bickering. No need for political wrangling. No need for compromise. Let the Democrats save our way of life.

After all, if we don't give away hundreds og billions by election day, we're all dead.

spike

lemme 'splain it to you Lucy....

The Democrats hold a majority in the House & the Senate. The President wants to hand cash over to the fed. Nancy, as Speaker of the House & Senate majority leader Reid can write a bill & call for a vote without the Republicans even being present. WHy not get down to business. No need for partisan bickering. No need for political wrangling. No need for compromise. Let the Democrats save our way of life.

I suppose I'll have to explain things to you. Bush (a republican you voted for) wants this. The House and Senate are made up of relatively equal numbers of Republicans and Democrats. In the House I believe it's 233-202 and the Senate it's like 49-49.

In both the house and the senate there are republicans and democrats both for and against this issue.

So when you say something silly like "the Dems are so hell bent on "fixing" this problem" you are presenting some sort of fantasy wishful thinking that is completely unconnected to reality.

It's not the "dems" or the "reps" that are hell bent on fixing it. It's some of both.

chcr

Too cute for words
What's really needed is a "no-confidence" vote on the whole executive branch but I don't see a way to do it. "The revolution will not be televised..."

catocom

what really pissed me off is the pres saying basically "screw the people. They are too stupid to understand, and I have to do what's right for the country".

But those elitist sonsabitches in congress think the same way.

chcr

Too cute for words
what really pissed me off is the pres saying basically "screw the people. They are too stupid to understand, and I have to do what's right for the country".

But those elitist sonsabitches in congress think the same way.

Absolutely cato, they think we're stupid and will go along with whatever they say. Surprise. :D

MrBishop

bloomberg wishing, and try to calm the markets.....
that said...
I'm still wondering if we'll see another election.

People keep talking about 'executive orders'.
That the whole "Suspension of elections for an indefinite period" piece I've seen floating around?

I put it on the same shelf as Biden quitting to leave room for Clinton as VP.

catocom

That the whole "Suspension of elections for an indefinite period" piece I've seen floating around?

don't know. there's a bunch of um.
I'm referring to one that came out a few years ago, after the north American union thing came to more light.