Recession? We don' need no steenkeen recession!

2minkey

bootlicker
What the hell will raising the insurance limits do besides bringing still more failures under the "umbrella" of the FDIC which does not have sufficient reserves to cover what they have now?

um, protects everyday folks and small businesses from bank failures induced by douchebags far away from main street?

does the government have sufficient reserves to cover ANYTHING these days? is that even a consideration anymore?

MrBishop

What the hell will raising the insurance limits do besides bringing still more failures under the "umbrella" of the FDIC which does not have sufficient reserves to cover what they have now?

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What is the purpose of FDIC deposit insurance?
The FDIC protects depositors' funds in the unlikely event of the financial failure of their bank or savings institution. FDIC deposit insurance covers the balance of each depositor's account, dollar-for-dollar, up to the insurance limit, including principal and any accrued interest through the date of the insured bank's closing.

Red is mine: It's there to bolster confidence in banks... basically, you won't lose your shirt if a bank goes down. It's a 'looks good on paper' add-on. The FDIC itself states on it's web site that not a single person has lost so much as one penny since the FDIC's inception 75 years ago.

[/FONT]

jimpeel

the senate has soooommmething.
9pm est on cspan2

All I've seen is ok,
But
I haven't seen much.

I tell ya one thing...this is going to have to be more than any hundred some odd pages.

Ya ever notice how every time they have a "crisis" that there is some multi-hundred page bill that pops up within a couple of days?

jimpeel

um, protects everyday folks and small businesses from bank failures induced by douchebags far away from main street?

How are they to be protected if the entity protecting them has no assets with which to do so?

does the government have sufficient reserves to cover ANYTHING these days? is that even a consideration anymore?

My point exactly. All they do is fire up the presses and start printing even more fiat money which devalues the previously issued fiat money. M1 -- the money in circulation -- is what inflation is made of.

jimpeel

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What is the purpose of FDIC deposit insurance?
The FDIC protects depositors' funds in the unlikely event of the financial failure of their bank or savings institution. FDIC deposit insurance covers the balance of each depositor's account, dollar-for-dollar, up to the insurance limit, including principal and any accrued interest through the date of the insured bank's closing.

Red is mine: It's there to bolster confidence in banks... basically, you won't lose your shirt if a bank goes down. It's a 'looks good on paper' add-on. The FDIC itself states on it's web site that not a single person has lost so much as one penny since the FDIC's inception 75 years ago.
[/FONT]

Of course they haven't lost anything when the entity insuring them owns the printing presses that print the money they will be issued to cover their "loss". That money, however, will have less value than the money it replaces so the loss to the investor is instantaneous.

If I replace a dollar that was worth $.75 with a dollar that is worth $.70 have you not lost $.05? Sure, you still have a "dollar" but not the same value. Your wealth has been decreased.

2minkey

bootlicker
How are they to be protected if the entity protecting them has no assets with which to do so?

because at least they have a paper trail where the buck stops at the gubmint, which at least for the time being can borrow from irate chicoms and saudi thugs to makes sure that sally in peoria gets her nest egg back. obviously not ideal, but at least sally will be okay. kinda.

MrBishop

Forget about the Insurance for a second, Jim. That's actually *gasp* relevant.

Check these out!

Sec. 308. Increase in limit on cover over of rum excise tax to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Sec. 309. Extension of economic development credit for American Samoa.
Sec. 310. Extension of mine rescue team training credit.

Sec. 317. Seven-year cost recovery period for motorsports racing track facility.
Sec. 325. Extension and modification of duty suspension on wool products; wool research fund; wool duty refunds.
Sec. 502. Provisions related to film and television productions.
Sec. 503. Exemption from excise tax for certain wooden arrows designed for use by children.
Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008
The above does things like extend tax credits on renewable energy and a tax benefit for bicycle commuters (HT Chip).
And finally:
Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008
Which essentially mandates health insurance coverage for mental illnesses (including addiction) be equal to that of physical illnesses.

catocom

10482.45 -348.62 / -3.22% Oct 02

Doing fair considering....

Was it because of the senate bill, or because they don't think it'll make in the house again?
or, neither?

MrBishop

I'm thinking that a lot of people are seeing another delay in the vote, and afraid that the longer it's delayed..the harder it'll be if it does fail.

chcr

Too cute for words
Something to keep in mind is that this was just the first "crisis." Regardless of the bailout passing or not it's wildly unlikely to be the last. Heard a rumor today that credit cards will be the next one. I can't (at least I won't) attribute that one and I reiterate that it's just a rumor but if I were planning on floating my Christmas shopping on a credit card I'd get it done soon.

A.B.Normal

I've heard of car loans going bad and I can see that because of how easy it seemed to get my car loan and at 0% interest.Now credit cards at there exorbitant interest rates ,I can't imagine them not making a profit.

catocom

Something to keep in mind is that this was just the first "crisis." Regardless of the bailout passing or not it's wildly unlikely to be the last. Heard a rumor today that credit cards will be the next one. I can't (at least I won't) attribute that one and I reiterate that it's just a rumor but if I were planning on floating my Christmas shopping on a credit card I'd get it done soon.

That's why I now support congressman Bachus's proposal, AND then can support the bill.

chcr

Too cute for words
I've heard of car loans going bad and I can see that because of how easy it seemed to get my car loan and at 0% interest.Now credit cards at there exorbitant interest rates ,I can't imagine them not making a profit.

If they're not getting paid they don't, regardless of the interest. It's really not much different than the mortgage deal. give a credit card to almost anyone regardless of the risk and bet that they'll make a net profit at loan shark interest rates. As with the mortgages though, you can overplay the bet and it has been. It's the next toxic debt load (maybe). I suspect there sill be several more "crises" before we begin to recover. If we begin to recover.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
My God, the number of riders that got added on is astounding!

What exactly do green tax rebates have to do with bailing out Big Bank?

Paulson brought a 3-page bill to Congress. The House did not pass a 106 page bill. Teh Senate passed a 456 page bill. Can you say pork?

McCain blew an opportunity. He should have said "I'd vote for this except it's full of pork, which came from (fill in names here, as promised)".

He instead voted for this POS, like a good boy. Looks like Barr gets my vote.

jimpeel

Forget about the Insurance for a second, Jim. That's actually *gasp* relevant.

Check these out!

Sec. 308. Increase in limit on cover over of rum excise tax to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Sec. 309. Extension of economic development credit for American Samoa.
Sec. 310. Extension of mine rescue team training credit.

Sec. 317. Seven-year cost recovery period for motorsports racing track facility.
Sec. 325. Extension and modification of duty suspension on wool products; wool research fund; wool duty refunds.
Sec. 502. Provisions related to film and television productions.
Sec. 503. Exemption from excise tax for certain wooden arrows designed for use by children.
Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008
The above does things like extend tax credits on renewable energy and a tax benefit for bicycle commuters (HT Chip).
And finally:
Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008
Which essentially mandates health insurance coverage for mental illnesses (including addiction) be equal to that of physical illnesses.

Don't forget section 211 and the bicycle bailout.

This thing is one big porkbarrel wish list and is full of the very things that got us in this mess in the first place. I hope it gopes down to flaming defeat.

jimpeel

PBS' Frontline did an expose on the credirt card companies a few years back. It was quite the eye opener. Ever wonder why they all settled in South Dakota? No usary law.

I think it can still be viewed online at http://www.pbs.org/frontline

catocom

it basically took out the pork, leaves the good additions that actually pertain to this situation, and cut the initial amount released to Paulson, and make
him return nov 17 to report, then they decide if he gets more.

That then gives some the time for the house to get a Good, and right bill.

been grocery shopping and haven't yet see what has happened.