Recipe Exchange

MrBishop

You'll need:

1 ham (Shoulder or butt)
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of powdered mustard
1 beer (ales...none of that fancy shit)
20-30 clove nails

Segment the top of the ham (grid) with a knife and insert the clovenails into the intersections

Mix the mustard and brown sugar and put into a bowl.

Pour some beer into the mixture while stirring, until it forms a molasses-like consistancy

Smear the mixture onto the ham

put ham into a deep pot

Pour remainder of beer into the pot

Cover with aliminum foil and then with the pot's cover

Cook at 325 for (20 minutes per pound)

serve hot

The best damn ham you'll ever have...I promise!!!

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Pauls orangae chicken

6chicken breasts (he said breasts hehehe)
1 can concentrated orange juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
7 tbsp FRESH ginger (i love ginger, if not so much 2 will do yah)
1/2 cup honey
dash roce wine vinager
2 HEAPING tbsps chili garlic paste.

*edit* for southerners add a crapload of thai peppers, the teeny tiny ones

compine marinte in fridge for 2-8 hours (more and the acis start cooking the chicken)

take out the chicken, now BBQ (grill in american) it broil it, cut it into strips and stir fry it.

cook the sauce (it had raw chicken in it) and pour it over (if stir frying just add a bit)

the NON-Ketchupy chicken

chicken legs and thights in a corningware type pan chop 2 onions over it, cover it with chicken and rib BBQ sauce 350 for and hour or so.....kids are easy to please.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I'll hafta wait til I get home and dig into the recipe box...I got some good'ns.

And may I suggest a swift and thorough caning for the first dweeb who posts a recipe for peanut butter and jelly, or toast, or somesuch.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:
I'll hafta wait til I get home and dig into the recipe box...I got some good'ns.

And may I suggest a swift and thorough caning for the first dweeb who posts a recipe for peanut butter and jelly, or toast, or somesuch.

I agree 100% :D

Such punishment should also be meted out to anyone using Pillsbury products.

kat2220

SouthernN'Proud said:

DAMN....does that mean I can't say JELLO SHOTS????? *Kat meows*

AlphaTroll

This is a traditional South African (Cap Malay) recipe for Bobotie. It's usually served with yellow rice & raisins and a sambal of shredded onions, carrots, bell peppers and cucumber, with a vinnaigrette dressing.

THE BOBOTIE FILLING
· 1 lb beef, minced
· 2 eggs
· 2 slices white bread, stale with crusts removed
· 1 onion, thinly sliced
· 2 tbsp cooking oil
· 2 tbsp hot water
· 2 tbsp sugar
· 2 tbsp lemon juice
· 2 tsp curry powder
· ½ tsp ground cloves
· 1 tsp garlic, crushed
· 1 tsp turmeric
· ½ tsp salt

THE BOBOTIE TOPPING

· 1 egg, lightly beaten
· ½ cup milk
· bay leaves or lemon leaves for garnishing

Pre-heat the oven to 325ºF.
Soak the bread in water for 10 minutes, squeeze out the excess and then crumble.

In a large frying pan, heat the oil and braise the onion until golden.

Break the two eggs into a large bowl and beat lightly. Mix in the mince

Add the onion mixture from the frying pan, the hot water, lemon juice, crumbled bread, turmeric and sugar to the mince, mixing well.

Spoon the mixture into a well-greased, oven-proof dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown and then remove from the oven.

Topping

Combine the other egg with the milk and beat well. Pour the mixture over the bobotie and arrange the bay/lemon leaves as garnish. Return to the oven and bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes, or until the topping is set.

Serve the Bobotie with a large salad and rice.

BlurOfSerenity

while looking for a good recipe to post, i found one in my mom's handwriting that called for "1 stick of butter, softened. X 2"
i just thought that was funny.
i shall contribute when i find one of my really good recipes!

AlphaTroll

Camembert and Walnut Pate

Ingredients:

7 oz Camembert cheese, rind removed
4 oz Cream cheese, cut into chunks, room temp.
1 tbl Fresh lime juice
2 tbl Finely chopped toasted walnuts
Additional finely chopped walnuts

Method:
Blend Camembert in processor until smooth. Gradually add cream cheese, processing until smooth after each addition. Add lime juice; process until smooth. Transfer mixture to bowl. Mix in 2 tablespooons nuts. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon pate into 2-cup bowl. Sprinkle with additional nuts. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

If the Camembert is very strong, increase the amount of cream cheese to taste. Serve with toasted baguette slices and assorted crudites like endive and red bell pepper strips.

AlphaTroll

Peri-Peri Chicken Livers

1 large onion -- chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or peri-peri powder
250 grams chicken livers, cleaned and halved
1 tablespoon brandy
salt and pepper

Saute the onion in the oil. Add the cayenne pepper or peri-peri. Add the chicken livers and stir-fry over high heat until just cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Add the brandy to deglaze the pan.
Slice soft fresh rolls in half and open butterfly-style. Butter lightly and spoon the liver onto the rolls.
Serve with a fresh green salad dressed with a tangy garlic dressing.

AlphaTroll

Pumpkin Fritters

4 cups cooked pumpkin, mashed
2 eggs
1 cup flour
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
30 ml (2 tablespoons) heaped of sugar
Combine all ingredients, making a soft batter and fry spoonfuls in shallow oil till both sides are lightly browned. Drain on paper and serve warm with cinnamon sugar or caramel sauce.

Cinnamon Sugar:

Take one ounce of ground cinnamon and mix with 6 ounces of sugar. Sprinkle over pancakes to taste.

Caramel Sauce:

250 ml sugar
500 ml water
500 ml milk
30 ml margarine
20 ml cornstarch mixed to a paste with water
Cook together and add one teaspoon caramel essence before serving over pumpkin fritters.

AlphaTroll

Koeksisters:

Koeksisters are a traditional South African sweet dessert.
Although, nowadays, you probably wouldn't find Koeksisters served at a formal sit down dinner. They have moved into the position of a mainstream munch, eaten as a sweet snack, at braaivleis, sporting events, cocktail parties in fact you'll find koeksisters popping up almost everywhere

The syrup:
· 4 cups sugar
· 1 cup water
· 1 tsp cream of tartar
· ½ tsp tartaric acid
· 1 tsp vanilla essence or 1 tsp grated orange rind or 1 tsp ground cinnamon or 1/3 tsp ground ginger

Add the dry ingredients to the water and bring the mixture to the boil.
Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes or until syrupy.
Set the syrup aside to cool.

It is advisable to make the syrup first and to leave it in the fridge overnight.

The batter:

· 1 egg
· 2 cups flour
· 6 tbsp milk
· 6 tbsp margarine or butter
· 2 tsp baking powder
· 1 tsp salt

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
Cut or rub the margarine or butter into the dry ingredients.
Beat an egg thoroughly and add it to the milk. Add this to the flour mixture, taking care to handle as little as possible.

Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour.
Roll out the dough to a thickness of ¼ inch.
Cut into strips that are approximately 31/2 inches long and 1 inch wide.
Cut each strip into three lengthways, leaving one side uncut, and plait the pieces, pressing the cut ends together firmly.

Pre-heat vegetable oil in a deep pan and remove half of the syrup from the fridge.

Deep-fry the koeksisters in the oil until golden brown.
Drain them for a few seconds on absorbent paper.

Dip the koeksisters into the cold syrup, for a few seconds, whilst they are still hot.
This will seal the syrup outside and leave the inside of the koeksister dry in contrast.

The syrup will gradually become hot, so when you have done about half of the koeksisters take the remaining syrup from the fridge and use this for the balance of the koeksisters.

Koeksisters are a favorite of all South Africans who have a sweet tooth.

People sell them outside shopping malls to earn an income.
You will find them at all fund raising functions where food is sold.

If you like sweet things you will certainly enjoy these.
But be careful, they're so nice that it's easy to over indulge and start feeling a little queasy, rather save some for tomorrow.

AlphaTroll

Slow Cooked Sticky Pork Spare Ribs

6 pork belly pork spareribs
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons crushed garlic
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon white sugar

1. Pre heat oven (gas) to 180c.
2. In a large saucepan, bring pork belly spare ribs to the boil,turn down and simmer for around 20 minutes.
3. While simmering ribs, combine all sauces together in a large mixing bowl.
4. Remove ribs from saucepan and place on chopping board, cut into 3 pieces, and toss with the sauce mixure.
5. Arrange ribs on baking tray and place into pre heated oven. turning regularly and basting with sauce mixture.
6. Bake approx 45 minutes.
7. Eat them on their own as a snack, or accompany with a tossed green salad.

MrBishop

CHOCOLATE BOTTOM CREAMY CHEESECAKE

CHOCOLATE BOTTOM CREAMY CHEESECAKE
I like the texture of a creamy cheesecake over a dense cheesecake. The chocolate crust with a topping of macerated strawberries laced with a little Peach Schnapps is a wonderful ending to any meal 9perhaps save the meal for another time and just enjoy this cheesecake!)

Crust

1 1/2 cups oreo cookies crumbs
3 T sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Filling
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
2 cups sour cream

Topping

Fresh strawberries cut, tossed with sugar and a splash of peach schnapps

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a
medium bowl, combine chocolate crumbs, 3 tablespoons
sugar and melted butter. Mix all ingredients
well and press into bottom and sides of a 9 inch spring form pan.
2 In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until
smooth. Blend in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the
vanilla and salt. Fold in the sour cream.
3 Pour batter into spring form pan. Bake in preheated oven
for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave cake in for at least
45 minutes.

MrBishop

CARMELS
These are the best melt in your mouth caramels.

Prep Time: approx. 45 Minutes.
Cook Time: approx. 45 Minutes.
Ready in: approx. 1 Hour 30 Minutes.
Makes 1 - 9x13 inch dish (117 servings).

2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups corn syrup
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
Directions
1) Butter a 9x13 inch dish.

2) In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, 1-cup
cream and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring often, then
stir in remaining 1-cup cream. Heat, without stirring, to
242 degrees F (116 degrees C), or until a small amount of
syrup dropped into cold water forms a firm but pliable ball.
Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and pour into
prepared dish. Refrigerate.

3) When cool, return candies to room temperature then cut
into 1-inch squares and wrap in waxed paper.

MAPLE FUDGE
This is delicious fudge but it requires a good sense of timing. If you don't work quickly enough, you could be eating out of the pan.

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup cream
2 tablespoons butter

Grease well an 8-inch square pan.

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, while stirring, over medium high heat.

Using a candy thermometer clipped to the side of the pot and not touching the bottom of the pot, continue cooking and stirring until the mixture reaches 238 F, about 10 - 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool without stirring until lukewarm (110F) - about 1 hour.

Remove candy thermometer and beat the mixture with a wooden spoon until the colour lightens, the mixture loses its gloss and the fudge begins to set.

Quickly press into the prepared pan, score into squares while still warm. When the fudge if firm, cut into squares. Store tightly covered.

AlphaTroll

I don't have a proper recipe for this, but I love making it with pork.

It's a sweetpotato & butternut dish. Just kinda adjust the quantities as required I suppose.

You'll need 1 or 2 large sweetpotatoes (not the orange kind) and 1 or 2 butternuts.
Peel & cut them into bitesize chunks.
I usually microwave them for a bit to get them at least half cooked - it shortens the cooking time.
In the meantime sauteé some diced onion (as much as you want - I usually use 1 big one) in a large frying pan or wok (the wok works best IMO) - use a good quality olive oil or if you want to be decadent and don't give a crap about calories, use some real butter.
When the onions are that lovely golden, see-through colour, add some diced bell peppers (I like using half a green one & half a red one). Sauteé until tender.
Add some finely chopped chillies - again, just play it by tongue. I reckon 1 or 2 habanero's or birdseye chillies gives it just enough of a bite.
Add the sweetpotato & butternut chunks.
As you go along add some salt & freshly ground black pepper. I also add some herbs like coriander & parsley....fresh basil also works a treat.
Add a spoon of sugar (it gives it a little sweet-chilli flavour). Add the juice & rind of ½ a lime or lemon.
Stirfry until you feel the flavours have had enough time to get to know each other & mingle.
And then I guess Bob's your uncle ;)

kat2220

"EggNog Pie"

2 cups eggnog
1 env. Knox gelatine
2 T. of water
1 T. of sugar
2 tsp. rum flavoring
1 tsp. almond flavoring
1/8 tsp. salt
2 cups Cool Whip
1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust

Heat eggnog but DO NOT boil.

Soften Knox gelatine in water. Add to eggnog. Add sugar, rum flavoring, almond flavoring and salt.Beat slightly.Fold in Cool Whip; pour into pie self and refrigerate.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
This is an old family recipe from my grandmother. She made these every Christmas, and to this day it just ain't Christmas without one. No baking required either!

Graham Cracker Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 can (small round...8 oz I think) crushed pineapple undrained
2 egg whites, beaten stiff
1/2 - 3/4 cup pecan pieces
1 box graham crackers

Cream together butter and sugar. Add pineapple and mix well. Add egg whites and mix. Add pecans and mix well.

In a square (preferably) Tupperware container, make a layer of graham crackers, then spoon mixture over evenly. Repeat for three or four layers, with crackers being the top of the cake. Put mixture more thinly on bottom layers as it will settle. Cover and refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight. Slice and serve.