Recipe Exchange

AlphaTroll

Potbrood or "Pot Bread" (We make this when we have potjiekos)

Ingredients:

1 tsp dry yeast
2 tsp sugar or honey
1 cup milk
3 tbs melted butter
1 kg bread flour
2 eggs
2 tsp salt

Mix sugar and yeast together and add lukewarm milk, butter and 2 ½ tbs flour. Allow to stand for 10 minutes until foamy.
Sieve flour and salt together, add the yeast mixture and knead well for 5 to 10 minutes.
Cover the container with a blanket (or plastic wrap in modern times), and allow to rise.
Knead well and place into a cast-iron pot with heavy base.
Cover as before and allow to rise again for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare a hole in the ground, or the clay banks of a river, or a hollowed-out termite mound – slightly bigger than the pot. Line the interior with a solid bed of glowing coals.
Nestle pot onto the bed of coals. Spread extra coals across the lid of the pot. Allow to bake for 35 to 40 minutes, depending on the heat of the coals. The hole should be warm enough to burn the hand if held inside for a few seconds.
The bread will be ready when golden brown on top, and drawing away from the sides. Another test is to tap the top of the bread with a form and listen for a hollow sound.

Serve steaming hot with fresh butter.

AlphaTroll

Oxtail Potjie - probably the tastiest potjie recipe (Serve the potbread with it...or have some samp & beans)

INGREDIENTS
500g Oxtails cut 2 inches thick pieces
10 slices Bacon cut in 1 inch pieces
½ cup Flour seasoned with salt and pepper
1 litre beef stock
1 can tomato paste
1 Bay leaf
6 black peppercorns
1 bouquet garni
6 large leeks, chopped coarsely
2 large onions, chopped coarsely
6 large carrots, chopped coarsely
20 button mushrooms
1 cup red wine
½ cup sherry
½ cup cream
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons crushed garlic

METHOD

1. Dry oxtails with paper towel.
2. Put seasoned flour in a Ziplock bag, then add the Oxtail and shake to coat with flour.
3. Heat butter and olive oil and sauté bacon pieces.
4. Remove bacon and brown Oxtail in resulting fat, remove and drain.
5. Finely dice 4 of the carrots. Coarsely chop the onions and the leeks.
6. Add the finely diced carrots, leeks, onions and sauté until softened
7. Add Oxtail, bacon, bouquet garni, bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, tomato sauce, red wine, sherry.
8. Bring slowly to a boil and cook slowly for 3 - 4 hours.
9. 1 hour before serving cut the remaining carrots into 1 inch pieces, add them and mushrooms and continue cooking slowly.
10. Just prior to serving, add cream and stir in.
11. If you want to thicken the sauce mix some cornstarch with the cream before adding.

AlphaTroll

African Peanut Samp and Beans (Stampmielies)

Samp and beans is a daily staple for millions of Southern Africans. The addition of peanuts adds a delicious flavour.
Samp is a "degermed" product of maize - the husk and germ have been removed.

200 ml dried kidney beans
250 ml samp, rinsed
10 ml salt and fresh black pepper
30 ml butter
100 g salted peanuts, roughly crushed
3-4 corn on the cob or
400 g can whole kernel corn

Soak the beans and samp in plenty of cold water for about 8 hours. Drain. Bring 1.2 litres of water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Add the samp and beans, cover, and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours until very tender. Season with salt and pepper, add butter and peanuts, and cook ucovered until the mixture thickens. If using fresh corn, roast over medium coals for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly charred and tender. Slice from cob and stir into the samp and beans.

AlphaTroll

Onion Salad - Slaphakskeentjies

1 kg unpeeled pickling onions

Sauce

5 ml salt
10 ml mustard powder
125 ml sugar
15 ml cornflour
3 large eggs, beaten well
200 ml milk
125 ml brown vinegar
250 ml cream
Boil the onions in salted water for 15 minutes or until just tender.
Drain, leave to cool then remove the skins.
For the sauce combine the salt, mustard powder, cornflour and sugar in a bowl, add the eggs and beat until creamy. Add the vinegar beating constantly. Combine the milk and cream and beat it into the mixture. Heat over low heat and simmer, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Remove from the stove immediately, pour over the onions and leave to cool

AlphaTroll

Yellow Rice with Raisins
Ingredients
250 ml rice
600 ml litre boiling water
10 ml butter or margarine
2,5 ml salt
5 ml turmeric
10 ml honey
200 ml seedless raisins
Method
Combine the rice, water, turmeric and salt in a 2-3 litre dish. Cover with clingwrap, pierce, and cook on High for 10 mins. Stir in the raisins and cook on High for another 5 mins. Tip into a sieve and rinse in cold running water. Return the rice to a clean dish, stir in the butter and honey and reheat on High for 5 mins, stirring once.

(This is basically the yellow rice and raisens that we serve with Bobotie...the recipe for that is further up)

AlphaTroll

Chicken Biryani

INGREDIENTS:
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 small potatoes, peeled and halved
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 (2 inch) piece cinnamon stick
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken pieces cut into chunks

2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
1 pinch powdered saffron
5 pods cardamom
3 whole cloves
1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pound basmati rice
4 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a large skillet, in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or ghee) fry potatoes until brown, drain and reserve the potatoes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet and fry onion, garlic and ginger until onion is soft and golden. Add chili, pepper, turmeric, cumin, salt and the tomatoes. Fry, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add yogurt, mint, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are cooked to a pulp. It may be necessary to add a little hot water if the mixture becomes too dry and starts to stick to the pan.
When the mixture is thick and smooth, add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat them with the spice mixture. Cover and cook over very low heat until the chicken is tender, approximately 35 to 45 minutes. There should only be a little very thick gravy left when chicken is finished cooking. If necessary cook uncovered for a few minutes to reduce the gravy.
Wash rice well and drain in colander for at least 30 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil (or ghee) and fry the onions until they are golden. Add saffron, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger and rice. Stir continuously until the rice is coated with the spices.
In a medium-size pot, heat the chicken stock and salt. When the mixture is hot pour it over the rice and stir well. Add the chicken mixture and the potatoes; gently mix them into the rice. Bring to boil. Cover the saucepan tightly, turn heat to very low and steam for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid or stir while cooking. Spoon biryani onto a warm serving dish.

majestyx

Sweet Peanut Brittle

Made in the microwave, this is a seriously simple and seriously delicious brittle recipe!! I can honestly say that I was very skeptical of this recipe, but it is delicious and very crunchy!!

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 Tbsp. butter
2 cups Coctail peanuts
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Spray large banking sheet or 15x10x1-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside. Mix sugar and corn syrup in large microwaveable bowl until moistened. Microwave on HIGH 5min. [caution: use pot holders, as cand mixture gets very hot]. Stir in butter and peanuts. Microwave an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until pale golden brown. Add baking soda and vanilla [mixture will foam].

Immediately spread mixture as thinly as possible onto prepared baking sheet. Cool completely. Break into pieces.

Optional chocolate dip for peanut brittle:
4 squares Baker's semi-sweet baking chocolate
1/4 cup peanut butter

Microwave chocolate in 1-cup glass measuring cup on HIGH 1 to 2 min. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in peanut butter until melted. Dip half of the peanut brittle pieces halfway into chocolate mixture, scraping back of brittle against edge of cup to remove excess chocolate. Place on sheet of parchment paper. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 20 min.

Makes about 1 1/2 lb. or 16 servings

Variation: For Hot-Sweet Peanut Brittle, stir 1 tsp. of hot pepper sauce into candy along with vanilla.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
put down one slice of white bread

apply peanut butter

put down another slice of whitebread

apply jelly

merge the two so jelly meets peanut butter.

cut corner to corner (so you have 2 triangles, if you had square sandwiches growing up, it means your mom didn't love you)

enjoy

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Triangles are good if you pull the crusts off. If you don't you get a whole entire half with the crappier kind of crust, which sucks.

MrBishop

My son prefers triangles, my daughter..cut into 4 smaller squares...bite sized :)

I prefer open-faced

Inkara1

Either way is fine with me, really... if it's standard el cheapo white bread, then toasting it makes an insane amount of difference.

tonksy

Nature's Own honey wheat brown (or "brown bread" as Mar calls it) is the way to go for PB&J (or even CB&J which is just as common in my house).

chcr

Too cute for words
Dara had never had a fluffer nutter until I mentioned it a few weeks ago when we were talking about PB&J. She'd never even heard of it. I always liked them better than PB&J myself.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Dara had never had a fluffer nutter until I mentioned it a few weeks ago when we were talking about PB&J. She'd never even heard of it. I always liked them better than PB&J myself.

I have something in common with Dara then.

In fact I ahve no idea what a fluffer nutter is.