RIP Chris Benoit, whole family

unclehobart

Well... they only had 3 hours warning to whip up a response to something they had no idea about. It almost sounded like a home invasion gone bad and they were giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think they were just trying to err on the side of compassion after the whole Owen Hart fiasco.

Professur

I've no trouble with them having a memorial. But either you stand by what you said, or you're a bald faced liar. One or the other. To try and erase what you've said, for me, is disgusting. It was an attempt to profit from their deaths, pure and simple. Otherwise, those testimonials would still be up, if edited or appended. Just like Monday night Raw. Hour upon hour of 'How great Benoit was", interspersed with commercial breaks. Touching ... if you meant it. Vile if not.

Professur

WWE® Shocked At Latest Developments In Benoit Tragedy, Concerned By Sensationalistic Reporting
Written: June 26, 2007

STAMFORD, Conn., June 26, 2007 – World Wrestling Entertainment is stunned and saddened by the details released by local authorities concerning the double homicide-suicide involving Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son, Daniel.

However, WWE is concerned with the sensationalistic reporting and speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department and the District Attorney. During the press conference, the investigating authorities made the following points, all of which run contrary to the media speculation that "roid rage" was a factor in the senseless murders and suicide:

1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.

WWE is continuing to monitor the ongoing investigation being conducted by local authorities.

Source

AKA .... we had nothing to do with it.

unclehobart

But of course. They have spin doctors... we have spin doctors... locked into a deadly ballpoint pen sabre battle to the death.

tonksy

So they should have said "Okay, we feel really bad for the family but we are not going to continue to immortalize this killer?" or maybe they should have had left up memorials for the wife and son?

Professur

Maybe they shouldn't have said anything they're not ready to back up now. Either he was a good guy for whom something went terribly wrong, or he was a monster, but we didn't know, or he was a monster, and we did know, but we didn't do anything about .....

What they've (the WWE) is swept the entire affaire under the rug in the hopes that noone will remember what was said.

tonksy

Well, initial reactions to the death of a family are remorseful...but then when you learn what happened it changes to anger and sadness. I don't know that they are guilty of anything but acting a bit too quickly before the facts had a chance to surface.

Professur

That's what I said. If you're inherently honest, those initial reactions will be honest. If you're inherently dishonest .....

Professur

Initially neither did I. So why are they suddenly hiding everything they said that was good? Either they were being dishonest then, or they're being dishonest now.

tonksy

Because now Benoit is a freaky drug-fueled rage murder of women and children? I mean, no one expected that outcome.

Professur

Eeeee. Sorry. No evidence of drug use, or rage. The drugs in the house (according to the last WWE news clip) were prescription. No steroids. No beating. And Benoit (again, according to that clip) tested clean for drug and steroid use April 10th.

Oh, and just to clear up another obvious misconception. Benoit NEVER hit his wife. He supposedly threatened her, scared her, and busted up some furniture. Noone ever stated that he hit her .... ever. If that's a monster, I'm as guilty. I busted a remote last week.

tonksy

I never said he did hit her. I said he killed her. And the last article I reas last night said they found steriods in his house.

unclehobart

It simply doesn't pay to be honest anymore when you can be sued into the stone age. You can only make lame little baby steps and circle the wagons at the first sign of wind change. Once the headlines all went from 'tragedy' and became 'roid rage', 'this isn't the first time', it was an instinctive reaction to recoil into a defensive position.

Professur

I know you didn't 'say' that. That was a general 'toss out' for everyone. And I'm just going off the reports handed in. Most of the articles I'm reading about it (he was a Montrealer, it's a local interest thing) are speculative or 'leaked'. The WWE release (at first blush) appears to be first hand, inside knowledge. Give that the police are gonna be all over them for prior behavior analysis and such, I'm betting that they're gonna have the accurate details long before anyone else gets them. 'Cpecially anything that might damage them.

Professur

It simply doesn't pay to be honest anymore when you can be sued into the stone age. You can only make lame little baby steps and circle the wagons at the first sign of wind change. Once the headlines all went from 'tragedy' and became 'roid rage', 'this isn't the first time', it was an instinctive reaction to recoil into a defensive position.

Exactly. And like most 'modern instinctive reaction', it's self-preservation herdism at it's most nauseating.

Professur

Europe's picked it up

New twist in Benoit murders

By SIMON ROTHSTEIN of THE LILSBOYS
June 27, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

WRESTLING killer Chris Benoit was so obsessed with steroids - he even injected his seven-year-old son with growth hormone.

Daniel - who was murdered by Benoit along with mum Nancy before the WWE star committed suicide - was found with needle marks in his arms.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard confirmed the findings, saying Daniel had been given growth hormones for some time because Chris and Nancy considered him to be undersized.

He added: "The boy was very small, even dwarfed."

Daniel was also said to have Fragile X Syndrome, a condition which can lead to behaviour problems, autism, hyperactivity and in some cases mental retardation.

Sources in the States say Chris, who was a lot smaller than your typical wrestling superstar, took steroids throughout his career as he was worried about losing work due to his size.

One reported: "This was decades and decades of steroid use with no cycling - even when undergoing neck surgery.

"And that's not healthy in any way."

Investigators say Chris illegally received deliveries from a Florida business called MedXLife.com that sold steroids, human growth hormone and testosterone on the Internet.

Six people at the pharmacy, including two of the owners, have already pleaded guilty to supplying sport stars with drugs and 20 more have been arrested.

Since the death of Benoit's pal and fellow MedXLife.com customer Eddie Guerrero from heart failure in November 2005 - brought on by years of alcohol, drug and steroid abuse - the WWE instituted a strict testing procedure.

However, crucially, the company's 'Wellness Policy' allowed for prescribed steroids, meaning use is still rife.

It states: "The WWE policy prohibits the use of performance-enhancing drugs, as well as other prescription drugs which can be abused, if taken for other than a legitimate medical purpose pursuant to a valid prescription from a licensed and treating physician."

Smaller wrestling groups in the US and UK don't test at all.

RECENT MATCH ... with Bobby Lashley
RECENT MATCH ... with Bobby Lashley

A source in the industry told us: "Wrestlers have an insane schedule, with no off season and little to time to fully heal injuries.

"On top of that they are under immense pressure from bosses and fans to have superhuman physiques.

"So they turn to steroids in order to look better and return to action more quickly after injuries.

"I would say almost every single wrestler in the business today has been on 'the gear' at one point in their career, and many still are even after all the shocking deaths we've seen.

"Some are able to move on after they achieve the body they want but others, like Benoit, become addicts.

"If they say a physique is too good to be true then it probably is."

He added: "Steroids are not hard to get hold of legally. You just have to find a quack who will prescribe them so they can hang out with the wrestlers and get some cool pictures for the wall.

"They are known as 'mark doctors' and have been around as long as wrestling itself."

It is unknown whether the killings were due to 'roid rage' and a full blood test is not due for around two weeks.

The WWE released a strongly wording statement saying: "Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation).

"Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit's state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

"A full Toxicology (blood test) report has not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body."

And they're not pulling any punches.

Source

If that's true ... that's very likely the trigger. A child's medical condition has got to be the most terrible pain in existence.