Road conditions

Professur

Well, idiot that I am, I drove the family down to America again yesterday for a day out. About half way to the border, I saw a sign saying for cars to keep left. Thinking to myself "that's odd, normally they're telling the trucks to shift lanes if it's construction, not the cars". So I sidel over and for the next few miles I don't see any construction of any kind. Well, I'm figuring that maybe the sign was left up and was only meant for during the week, and that they've cleared out for the weekend, and pull back to the right. Half a mile later, I find out what it's all about. The asphalt in the right lane has been reduced to nearly gravel due to the freeze-thaw we've been having. Sinkholes, potholes, and lizard scale. Any normal car trying to drive it would be looking at flat tires ... at best. Major suspension damage probably. And this road surface isn't that old. 10 years tops.

Well guess what. The moment we crossed the border, smooth sailing. Pristine roads. In a state, in a country that pays a quarter the taxes we do. Bastards.

So much for the crappy roads being because of the weather, eh?

unclehobart

A good many places have great roads, upstate New York being one of them. A good many places have shitty roads; those being too many to list. It all depends upon state, federal, and local corruption getting onto the same page. The usual rule of thumb is: the closer to election you are, the less potholes you find. Its our modern day bread-and-circuses. The Romans got bloodsport, we get roads... go figure.

I never held Canadians roads to a high standard. Trying to maintain a massive road system across a massive country with a limited population largess combined with a brutal freeze/heat destruction cycle makes for some tricky engineering indeed.

Professur

How tricky is it that 4 miles to the south the difficulties disappear, heading to a smaller population? Identical traffic, given that it's the single route between the third largest canadian city and the US?

greenfreak

Roads in southern NY haven't been as bad because we've gotten almost no snow this year. But a couple of seasons ago when we had that blizzard, it was horrendous with the runoff, flooding, and ensuing broken pavement. It was almost like an obstacle course sometimes to avoid the foot-deep (or more) potholes. Then they make a half-assed attempt to patch it and the little rocks get broken up and kicked up onto your windshield.

Believe me, it's not that great. We've just gotten lucky this year. And if you dislike coming down here so much, why do you keep doing it? :p

Professur

Because I can walk into K-mart and buy R-134 without an EPA certification. I can get 3 outfits for V2.0 at the Old Navy for $20. No GST on books. The kids can spend an hour trying out every ATV on display at Gander outfitters and the sales people just smile (and even help them on). They'll spend another hour watching a gigantic mobile in one of the malls (that must be 40 years old by now). And they desperately want to eat at Friendly's (no idea why).

greenfreak

I used to love Friendly's as a kid. They had square hamburger patties, chocolate shakes, and the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup sundae.

They're all closing up shop down here. There is only one left that I can think of; the one my Mom used to take me to. Eiw and she always ordered the liver and onions. Who puts liver and onions on their menu anymore? :sick:

greenfreak

Carvels are still everywhere. Love those flying saucers. But I'm sure Cold Stone Creamery is going to be putting the squeeze on them.

There's an ice cream stand down the road a bit named "Marvel". I don't know how they get away with it. It's like "Coming to America" where he names his fast-food place "McDowels". ;)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
greenfreak said:
I used to love Friendly's as a kid. They had square hamburger patties, chocolate shakes, and the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup sundae.

They're all closing up shop down here. There is only one left that I can think of; the one my Mom used to take me to. Eiw and she always ordered the liver and onions. Who puts liver and onions on their menu anymore? :sick:

Wendy's has square hamburger patties

rrfield

Go to Illinios (not Chicago). The roads there are worse than they are around Thunder Bay, thats for sure.

Winky

Whiney buncha bastardos!

Yeah I can get in my car and drive to damn near
anyplace on the continent but it ain't good enough

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
When all my buddies graduate in April and get into road design THEN we'll have some good pavement :D

unclehobart

Not unless they squeeze up the monies to pay fo it. Always remember the general rule of roads and politics: No politician will pay for a road that will last longer than his/her current term.

catocom

unclehobart said:
Always remember the general rule of roads and politics: No politician will pay for a road that will last longer than his/her current term.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to unclehobart again.
you got that right man.

perfect example: hwy 129 here, they had some new kinda pavement that was great.
It soaked up the water, or repelled it so there was never any standing, or even
built up in a heavy rain.
It lasted about 6mo until after the election, and they started digging patches up.
They they decided they wanted a divided median, and redid the whole thing,
and put regular asphalt back on it. It just hasn't been as good since.
That other asphalt was made out of recycled tire or something, and it was good.
I don't know why they don't use more of it, unless it's politics.

Winky

and with all that, we still have the finest highway system
on the planet

unless you postulate some inanity about how some
your-a-peon country has a better set of roads

yeah all five miles of it!

Dave

That other asphalt was made out of recycled tire or something, and it was good.
I don't know why they don't use more of it, unless it's politics.
doesnt the recycled tire pavement cost twice as much as asphalt?