Road conditions

HomeLAN

Not if he's in a truck. They pull those over to go over the paperwork. It's damned easy to manufacture a violation on a trucker.

Professur

I've been random checked myself, including a walk around to check the lights and flashers. Didn't give the guy attitude, and he went on to the next guy.

greenfreak

What I always wanted to know about was weigh stations. What is the requirement, how often do you have to stop at them? And why is it that I never see one that's actually open?

HomeLAN

Professur said:
I've been random checked myself, including a walk around to check the lights and flashers. Didn't give the guy attitude, and he went on to the next guy.

Yeah, because you aren't liable for the 5,462 regulations that pertain only to OTR truckers. They go after truckers because it's so fucking easy to find a tiny violation that results in a $250 ticket. It's how they make their budget a lot of months.

I was PASSING a truck doing 65 once, and a cop pulled up behind us and yanked the trucker.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
greenfreak said:
What I always wanted to know about was weigh stations. What is the requirement, how often do you have to stop at them? And why is it that I never see one that's actually open?

Every time you pass one that is open. If they dislikje ANYTHING, they'll pull you around back. They're open all the time...if you're a driver :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
Yeah, because you aren't liable for the 5,462 regulations that pertain only to OTR truckers. They go after truckers because it's so fucking easy to find a tiny violation that results in a $250 ticket. It's how they make their budget a lot of months.

Yep. A driver not getting a moving violation is an ATM for many counties. As long as it's not a moving violation, we keep our license & they keep sucking money. Missouri, Oregon, California & Ohio are the absolute worst.

Professur

My neighbour was a trucker, hauling fuel oil for the refineries. He got pulled exactly once in the 10 years we lived next to one another. For bob-tailing without mudflaps.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've been pulled over by troopers, once or twice in the last decade (speeding). I've visited many chicken-coops though. (trucker speak for scales houses) Two warnings...the company took care of the trucks. Owner operators are their prime target.

rrfield

There is a state trooper (or something) that parks in front of my office, probably twice a week. He only pulls over trucks, probably 6 or 7 a day.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
D.O.T. (Dept of Transportation) inspects. They can train state troopers & local police though. Non-DOT are just looking for cash. DOT is looking for BIG MONEY.