Road conditions

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The recycled tire asphalt works wonders in warm or hot climates. They used it out west. It may become too rigid in winter in the midwest or northeast. The other asphalt additive that worked great was glass. Made the road reflect your headlights & you could actully see better at night.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
*rubs her fingers together*

Money my dears...rubber and glas additives are both expensive. Plus there is another reason they don't use glass but I can't quite remember right now what it is...it's all a compromise between cost and lifetime...in Ontario we're slowing making the switch to long life pavements, other than the 50mm of riding surface on the DVP (Don Valley Parkway, Toronto) which is replaced every I don't remember how often the asphalt has been there for a very very long time.

unclehobart

Spot said:
doesnt the recycled tire pavement cost twice as much as asphalt?
Perhaps... but it lasts longer and gets rid of god knows how many effing tires in the process. It seems fairly win-win-cost instead of just plain expensive.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
Perhaps... but it lasts longer and gets rid of god knows how many effing tires in the process. It seems fairly win-win-cost instead of just plain expensive.

It's insanely more expensive...

Professur

No. Insane is having to close a lane on the only major access between the third largest canadian city and it's biggest commercial market because of the piss poor roads. I remind you that the roads on the other side of the boarder not 10 miles further along are so smooth you could shave your pubes without fear at 60mph.

HomeLAN

Never thought of shaving my pubes at 60 MPH. Now that I've considered it, it strikes me as a really shitty idea.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
catocom said:
commute?
It's not a Real commute unless you go over 20 miles is it? :p

I figure it's a commute if you live and work in different cities...my mom didn't used to commute cause she lived and worked in Brampton...now she's got a new job in Toronto (mega city not downtown) so she does commute (IMHO).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Nixy said:
I figure it's a commute if you live and work in different cities...my mom didn't used to commute cause she lived and worked in Brampton...now she's got a new job in Toronto (mega city not downtown) so she does commute (IMHO).

I guess just taking the highway nomatter where you destination (in the same city or outside) also qualifies it as a commute in my mind.

Or maybe it's only if you have to deal with traffic...I mean...I've driven my mom to work and now I'm wondering if I really would consider her 25min drive a commute...she goes to a different city...she can take the highway but doesn't cause the other roads have less traffic and result in a shorter drive...hmmm this will be something for me to think about today.

HomeLAN

Professur said:
Hey, HL, what's 45000lbs of car batteries gonna do to your commute?

Other side of the perimeter, man. Didn't affect me one iota. The overturned car on 400 Northbound, however, cost me about 15 minutes.

catocom

oh man...400 is just almost a joke anymore.
Have they started fixing it yet, put more toll on...?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
catocom said:

EUREKA! There's your answer Prof...TOLL HIGHWAYS!

HomeLAN

catocom said:

I dunno. I never go up there. Today, it was so bad it FUBAR'd 285 Eastbound. That's what cost me time.

Professur

I'd happily pay tolls, and have done in the past. If ..... the money goes exclusively to road maintenance. But in Quebec (canadian?) financial policy, all money goes into a pile and is then distributed according to the budget. If all money collected for X reason went to said purpose, the gas and license taxes would have us rolling on roads made of gold.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
As long as I have to pay gas taxes, toll roads are a abomination. In the states, they typically have more cops & are not one iota better than the free roads.

Professur

Well, I took a bunch of toll roads down to GA, and while I didn't have much chance to see many non-toll roads for comparison, I will say this. The volume of traffic and higher speeds would reduce any road here to gravel in weeks. Those roads were maintained. And with onramps set a minimum of 5 miles apart instead of every mile .... slowdowns due to merging traffic were kept to a minimum too.

And quit bitching about the cops. If you're not breaking laws, they're not interested in you. The posted limit is a law, not a suggestion. Break it, and you get what you deserve.