Robs holy trinity

unclehobart

Leslie said:
unclehobart said:
Now im running out of bovril. i need a new supplier.
They don't have it in the grocery stores there?
Lord no. There are no brit products to speak of at all without going into a specialty store. My local farmers market has this one rack which is a single depth rack all of 6 feet long. On it is crammed Indian rice, tea, marmite, HP sauce, OXO, a few quick strir fry curry sauces... thats all. Bovril is beyond rare.

unclehobart

HeXp£Øi± said:
Oh...i see. That was an interesting(not often seen) display of aggression unc, assuming it was real.

Still curious about what amp means but i'll butt out now...
amp? whres amp?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
Leslie said:
unclehobart said:
Now im running out of bovril. i need a new supplier.
They don't have it in the grocery stores there?
Lord no. There are no brit products to speak of at all without going into a specialty store. My local farmers market has this one rack which is a single depth rack all of 6 feet long. On it is crammed Indian rice, tea, marmite, HP sauce, OXO, a few quick strir fry curry sauces... thats all. Bovril is beyond rare.
I'll take a look when I go tomorrow.

unclehobart

No need to put yourself out. Shipping costs alone would double it up.. triple after I have to send you a payback letter. :)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:confuse3: It never dawned on me that there would be a store that didn't have it. It's kind of astounding.

unclehobart

Well.. Do remember that we have our own kernel industries like Heinz, Kraft, Claussen and such making stuff to 'assumed' local tatstes. Our population is rather mishmash culturewise. I guess that the isolationist mentality from the turn of the century through WW2 didnt allow for market penetration of european goods. A lot of our goods seem to come from Pennsylvania and Ohio based companies. We were just raised oh so differently. Its amazing how our countries can be in such a bearhug against each other and yet be so damn different. Canada, since youre all so calm and quiet and have a population of less than California, don't even register on our radars 95% of the time. You arent a squeaky wheel.. you get no grease. Heck... 6 months ago I didnt know what side of the road you drove on.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
We've got all the regular brands for sale here too, I guess I had assumed Bovril would have been among them. Wow :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
America enjoys getting other countries to open up to free trade so they can put their factories there and get cheap labour but when it comes to importing into america that is when they don't like free trade :rolleyes:

unclehobart

I hope thay have it... and that its cheaper than the last place I found. The last place I found had the dinky 125g jars going for the equivalent of 8$cdn.

unclehobart

Nixy said:
America enjoys getting other countries to open up to free trade so they can put their factories there and get cheap labour but when it comes to importing into america that is when they don't like free trade :rolleyes:
Which has nothing to do with what Im talking about here.

unclehobart

Leslie said:
:eek: $8?! SHIT! It'd still be cheaper for me to send it! :eek:
Rarity makes for an easily inflated price... just like DeBeers controlling the diamond trade and keeping the world prices stable and damn high.

I never was able to find anything other than the 125g jars anyway. I'd like to get my paws on a few 300g+ jars.

unclehobart

Nix. Dont get me wrong. My angle isn't about raw ecconomics. Its about culture. 99.9% of the population here find marmite, bovril, and curry to be absolutely gag city. Its not available because of tarrifs... its not here because people cant stand it because they wernt raised on it.