Scottish Square Sausage

Professur

For anyone with a desire to taste a Scottish mainstay, here ya go.

2 lbs ground beef
2 lbs ground pork
3 cups fine bread crumbs
2 tsp pepper (white pepper if you can)
2 tsp nutmeg
3 tsp coriander
3 tsp salt
1 cup of water

Start by blending the dry ingredients in a bowl. The last thing you want is to bite into a solid lump of spice because they didn't mix right.
Kneed the two meats together in a large metal bowl. When you can no longer pick out the pork from the beef, slowly add the dry ingredients, continuing to kneed. Add a little water at a time to help them mix. The mix, when done, should be a pasty mass. Split it in two, and flatten out in two 10x4x3 loaf pans (I line mine with parchment paper to make getting it out easy). Place in the freezer to set (stiffen up). Slice to desired thickness (I prefer about 1/4"), wrap individually, and freeze.

Fry up, and serve. They go well on a crusty roll, hamburger-style, with a little HP sauce.

Professur

Leslie said:
meatloaf?

Interestin'.

Not really. A meatloaf you bake in the loaf pan. This you turn out, slice, and fry the slices.

BTW, be prepared to invest a good half hour of kneeding to get this to work. If anyone has a heavy duty mixer, or a bread hook, I'd appreciate knowing how well that works. I just made two pans, and my hands are killing me. So of course, I sit down as start typing.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It'd be in a mixer if I did it cause there's no way in hell I'd touch it.

I think the kids'd like it, I'll prolly give it a try. Will let you know.

Professur

Mine will kill for it.

But it's heavy for a mixer. Get Paul to kneed it. I mostly just grab handfulls down in the bowl and squeeze it so that it comes out between the fingers. That seems to work well, if hard on the hands.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I bought a real good circa 1970 mixer. I think I can do cement in that sucker.

Professur

attachment.php

Right after you tell me where.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Get a lovely stainless steel stove top kettle and put it where the spacewasting electric kettle is.

Professur

You mean the brand new electric kettle, with the cord running to a base, and the auto shutoff? I don't think so Tim.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I would absolutely without question give up an electric kettle for the pure joy that is the stand mixer.

Professur

Leslie said:
I would absolutely without question give up an electric kettle for the pure joy that is the stand mixer.

But you also drink coffee. I don't. I'd give up the fridge first.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
YOu could always put something in the cupboard...or give up whatever the contraption to the left of the sink is.

Also, now that we know you have a camera at your disposal I request kidlet pics tomorrow :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
paul_valaru said:
build a shelf underneath, and to the left of the paper towel

Don't listen to Paul...he's obviously got NO idea how horrible that would look.