Sh*t. (and four...

MrBishop

Re: Shit. (and four...

Well...at least she didn't put it in with the brake-fluid like a friend of mine's wife did :shrug:

Now THAT was an expensive mistake!

chcr

Too cute for words

Well, the good news is it looks to be a "third member" type differential (like a Ford 9 inch for those of you who understood that). I should be able to buy a pre-assembled third member (setting up clearances in a differential is above my skill level), assuming that's where it's broken, replace the seals and go. Around 400 bucks as opposed to 1000+. Also shouldn't have to drop the axle housing which is a big plus.

Uki Chick

chcr said:
Well, the good news is it looks to be a "third member" type differential (like a Ford 9 inch for those of you who understood that). I should be able to buy a pre-assembled third member (setting up clearances in a differential is above my skill level), assuming that's where it's broken, replace the seals and go. Around 400 bucks as opposed to 1000+. Also shouldn't have to drop the axle housing which is a big plus.

Glad to hear things worked out for the better.

chcr

Too cute for words

Professur said:
You're sure it's not just a shot bearing?

Could be, but it kept locking both rear wheels even just pulling it up on the rollback, so I doubt it. No real way to tell until I take it apart. :shrug:

This is what comes of not changing my own oil. I haven't been under it in a couple of years, who knows how long it's been dry. There doesn't seem to be a hint of oil in the damned thing and I know the place she takes it to is supposed to check it. :disgust:

Winky

Dood if it's 'run-dry' don't waste yer time
jess git a 'nother whole rear end outta the junk yard
slap her in there and

'party all the time party all the time'.

piggy.jpg

chcr

Too cute for words

1000+ dood. That's rapidly approching the junk-it threshold.

Professur

chcr said:
Could be, but it kept locking both rear wheels even just pulling it up on the rollback, so I doubt it. No real way to tell until I take it apart. :shrug:

This is what comes of not changing my own oil. I haven't been under it in a couple of years, who knows how long it's been dry. There doesn't seem to be a hint of oil in the damned thing and I know the place she takes it to is supposed to check it. :disgust:

They check the diffy? That's a first. I've had it checked by request, but never as part of any regular service. Now even the 1500+ point inspections.

Professur

Ummm. Hang on a sec. That's one of those new all-wheel, power transfer systems, isn't it?

chcr

Too cute for words

Professur said:
They check the diffy? That's a first. I've had it checked by request, but never as part of any regular service. Now even the 1500+ point inspections.
I could be wrong. I thought it was on their checklist.
Professur said:
Ummm. Hang on a sec. That's one of those new all-wheel, power transfer systems, isn't it?
Nope, Toyota didn't start that until '96 (at least in the 4Runner). It won't even lock, although they made one that did.

Professur

Good, coz troubleshooting those things is a chrome plated bitch, what with all the sensors, ABS tie-ins, relays, servos, etc. Just like the dealerships wanted.

chcr

Too cute for words

*sigh*

And the motor on the pool pump is evidently losing a bearing. Not that big a deal, but one more fucking thing to deal with.

*sigh*

HomeLAN

Never rains but it pours. My pool pump is leaking badly enough that an area 6 feet around it is like rain forest - always wet. Been like that for a year now, but the fucker keeps running.

chcr

Too cute for words

Well, I can change that bearing in an hour or so, I suppose. I don't think i'm going to go pull the motor during the thunderstorm we're supposed to be having tonight, though. Right now I'm trying to ID the bearing so I can pick two up (if I'm going to do it, it's not that much more work to change the other one as well).

Prolly put some new brushes in as well.

HomeLAN

Yeah, at least you have that option. Mine's blowing water through a crack in the casing. New pump time.

chcr

Too cute for words

HomeLAN said:
Yeah, at least you have that option. Mine's blowing water through a crack in the casing. New pump time.
Heck, glass that baby up. :nerd: Seriously, I replaced mine five or so years ago and got a Hayward Super Pump. I've been quite satisfied with the pumps performance, but this is the second time I've had motor problems. :shrug:

HomeLAN

Good to know. That's what most folks around here are pushing. Is that the 1 horse model?