So, I got this Electric Shaver

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I just use one of those gillete excel razors, cheap and fine for me.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I kinda figured that, but I didn't want to blow the money on a nice one if it just sat under the bathroom sink. Looks like I'll start looking now though. Do you guys prefer the screens or the round ones?

Dave

i have a norelco with the triple head (round). i really like it. only pulls the hairs out if i dont shave for a few days. much better than the remington i used to use. that thing was visicous...(?sp)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
This is what I use...

p12820B.JPG

I like it because it gives me a close shave, but doesn't threaten me with pseudofalliculitis. ;)

kuulani

yikes! I was thinking about getting an electric razor for my hubby ... I didn't realize there was rash involved :D

unclehobart

There is to a point. Most rashes are a matter of technique wherein the user is trying to push the mechanism into the skin too forcefully. It is supposed to be a slight contact gliding action. Pressing it into the skin only leads to pushing the skin inside the gizmo where it gets nicked up at 1800 rpm.

unclehobart

Moi? Not really. I've only ever used a mid grade Remington .. and sparingly at that since I have diligently avoided shaving most of my life.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OMFG!

I am laughing so hard that I am crying. My brother even came out of the next room where he is watching TV to see if I was gonna be OK.

Altron

:rofl:
Is it feeling better now, PT?
haha I don't need to shave as I don't have any facial hair :)

Professur

Um, not that I'm any kind of authority on shaving, but how well did you clean it before using it the first time? There may have been some oil or film on the surface that you reacted to. I know many formed metal items come from the factory with a light coat of oil to protect the metal during transport, and need to be washed in either soapy water, or alcohol before use.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Damn Prof, I didn't even think about that. I didn't clean it at all first. It has gotten much better now, still only shaving about every other day and it seems to be working pretty good now.

Arris

Well I doubt you'll like electric razors if you buy the cheapest of the cheap. I'd look into it more and get a decent one if your really want to keep using one. I used one when I first started shaving and now I have a slight shadow even when I am completely clean shaven. There are some people who say that electric razors and also shaving in the wrong direction can cause the hairs to somewhat grow inwards resulting in the sort of permanent 5-o'clock shadow. Since switching to razors and alternating between Gillette Mach3 and Wilson Diamond FX I've been pretty happy with these modern razors. Nothing is meant to be as good as a shave done by a professional men's barber with an open razor!!! :eek: Personally I don't fancy having a open razor anywhere near my throat (or ears .. reservoir dogs...)

Arris

pseudofalliculitis:
Pseudofolliculitis barbae is a foreign body reaction that occurs when arcuate hairs curve upon themselves and re-penetrate the skin. This creates pustules and papules as illustrated on the back of the head of this young man who has shaved his scalp. It particularly happens if the scalp or face are shaved with a straight razor blade. Treatment consists of avoiding a close shave, shaving with an electric razor and applying a depilatory chemical cream. There are a variety of such creams and powders available on the market.

slide30.jpg

:eek: