Steak

chcr

Too cute for words
Mmmm, yeah - a NY strip, well-marbled, cooked on a red-hot cast iron skillet with cracked peppercorns. :cool:

You forgot the kosher salt. Oh, and perhaps not quite red hot.

I think the part most people miss is the one unc pointed out. Leave it alone!!!! You have heat, you have meat, let it cook (but not too long).

unclehobart

Shark, Try this next time since you don't have a lid:

Put an iron skillet on your grill and get it godawful hot. Slap a steak or two on the grill and put the skillet on top of your steak. Get that more evenly distributed heat package coming in from both sides. Just leave it there for like 5 minutes and then serve it up. It should be good and seared. One side will have deep char grooves and the other side should say LODGE... always a crowd pleaser.

As a sidebar, you could probably also just throw a few oil-tossed veggies into the pan while its on top of the steaks... sort of a little flash and smoke magic show for your friends as they come over to watch.

chcr

Too cute for words
I like mine medium. Dara likes shoe leather. It's a challenge getting them both just right.

My mom's idea of correctly cooked was raw meat from a cow that had been frightened by fire while it was alive. :lol:

highwayman

What's your favorite cut, and how do you like it cooked?

Saturday I went to the Piggly Wiggly in Chipley and the butcher cut me a couple of T-bones, 2 1/2 inches thick. Cooked 'em very rare. They fed 4 people.

Normally I would get porterhouse, but our guests like T-bones.

The one is damned close to being a porterhouse with all that tenderloin...

I like either a New York strip or porterhouse myself. Medium rare along with o'brian pototoes....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You cook those steaks lid up or lid down? If that grill is on the way out, the only real way to combat the cold spots is to get that lid soooo very hot that the radiative effect will pick up half of that slack.

Weber. nuff said.

Ribeye & Porthouse...a T-bone works great in a pinch.

tonksy

I like mine medium. Dara likes shoe leather. It's a challenge getting them both just right.

My mom's idea of correctly cooked was raw meat from a cow that had been frightened by fire while it was alive. :lol:

LOL! That's my kinda woman!

Sharky

Ribeye, one and a half to two inches thick, marinated 24 hours in a bath of bourbon, rosemary, salt, pepper, and just a touch of thyme. Place on a charcoal fired grill, with wet pecan wood on the hot coals, for 6 minutes a side, and the lid closed. You want as much smoke as possible...:grinyes:

That sounds right tasty! :cool:

*clicks on "print"*

Sharky

I'm not as much of a connaisseur, tho I do like a nice t-bone, med-rare. I just discovered 'charcoal' rub, which does beautiful things to the taste of the steak, although every cut looks burnt no matter how little you cook it.

Never heard of that, sounds interesting . . . what's the technique?

Sharky

You forgot the kosher salt. Oh, and perhaps not quite red hot.

I think the part most people miss is the one unc pointed out. Leave it alone!!!! You have heat, you have meat, let it cook (but not too long).

I wait until it's off the grill and finished resting before applying the salt, otherwise it draws the juices out of the meat. But, yeah - kosher salt or sea salt is the way to go. :cool:

Sharky

Shark, Try this next time since you don't have a lid:

Put an iron skillet on your grill and get it godawful hot. Slap a steak or two on the grill and put the skillet on top of your steak. Get that more evenly distributed heat package coming in from both sides. Just leave it there for like 5 minutes and then serve it up. It should be good and seared. One side will have deep char grooves and the other side should say LODGE... always a crowd pleaser.

As a sidebar, you could probably also just throw a few oil-tossed veggies into the pan while its on top of the steaks... sort of a little flash and smoke magic show for your friends as they come over to watch.

That is a brilliant idea, Unc. I have a ginourmous Lodge pan that would be perfect. Thanks for the tip! :cool:

tonksy

Hey Sharky? Not that I mind the way you are doing it or anything but may I point out the new multi-quote feature next to the old quote feature?....You simply click on this icon in all the posts you wish to quote and then hit post reply and they're all in there.

Sharky

Hey Sharky? Not that I mind the way you are doing it or anything but may I point out the new multi-quote feature next to the old quote feature?....You simply click on this icon in all the posts you wish to quote and then hit post reply and they're all in there.

Is that what that does? :blush:

How about that . . . I could have at least C&P'd all the quotes into one post, huh? I'll use that feature next time. :nerd:

tonksy

I was so excited when I discovered it sitting there...you would have thought it was a cure for cancer or something :D

Altron

I'm curious though, is there such a thing as too hot?

Because one time, I was making burgers, and the outsides were just right, but the insides were below room temperature. I used about four times the normal amount of charcoal. It was snowing and zero degrees out, so I made a ridiculously large fire. I think it was overkill.

Can't find the thread, tho. It was deffo one hot mofo. I remember checking on it after eight hours and the fucker was still hot. I had to avoid getting my hands directly over the grill, because it was painfully hot.

Sharky

I'm curious though, is there such a thing as too hot?

Because one time, I was making burgers, and the outsides were just right, but the insides were below room temperature. I used about four times the normal amount of charcoal. It was snowing and zero degrees out, so I made a ridiculously large fire. I think it was overkill.

Can't find the thread, tho. It was deffo one hot mofo. I remember checking on it after eight hours and the fucker was still hot. I had to avoid getting my hands directly over the grill, because it was painfully hot.

Yep, sounds like that's what happened. The outsides cooked before the heat had time to penetrate to the inside of the patties. Try using less charcoal and pushing the coals over to one side after they have turned red. Then you can cook the patties off to the side with the lid on before removing the lid and moving them to directly over the fire to finish with a nice flame-broil.

Cooking with charcoal is tricky and takes a LOT of practice to master the art.

Altron

I'm working on it. It's kind of a family art thing. Passed down from generation to generation. I'm still rather an amateur, only been doing it since '00 or so.