Steak

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Yep, sounds like that's what happened. The outsides cooked before the heat had time to penetrate to the inside of the patties. Try using less charcoal and pushing the coals over to one side after they have turned red. Then you can cook the patties off to the side with the lid on before removing the lid and moving them to directly over the fire to finish with a nice flame-broil.

Cooking with charcoal is tricky and takes a LOT of practice to master the art.

WhatchootalkinaboutWillis? I've always been better with charcoal and flame than over a stove. :shrug: I never burned anything on a grill, but I can atest to at least six times I've set off the smoke detector in the kitchen...:mope:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm curious though, is there such a thing as too hot?

Because one time, I was making burgers, and the outsides were just right, but the insides were below room temperature. I used about four times the normal amount of charcoal. It was snowing and zero degrees out, so I made a ridiculously large fire. I think it was overkill.

Can't find the thread, tho. It was deffo one hot mofo. I remember checking on it after eight hours and the fucker was still hot. I had to avoid getting my hands directly over the grill, because it was painfully hot.

Make your fire, as normal. Just be prepared to keep feeding charcoal (at the grill makers recommended rate) for a longer period of time.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
*bump*

Doing the Father's day cookout thang this weekend. Grillin up some taters, chicken, and steaks.

Chicken is already marinating nicely thankyouverymuch. Boneless skinless breast in Italian dressing and some additional spices that if I divulge them I'd have to kill you. The steaks will be a bit of a challenge though. New grill, so I ain't intimately familiar with how it behaves just yet. One steak will be actively bloody and still trying to escape (AllEars'), mine will be precisely 22 seconds short of medium rare, another is to be medium or just a tad under, and the other is to be medium well but not too dry, if such exists. Can't marinade because everybody has aversion to at least one of my 10 secret ingredients, and each one is a different aversion. Top it all off with some fried corn and a mystery dessert and it might just do.

Sharky

New grill, so I ain't intimately familiar with how it behaves just yet.

Might be a good idea to break it in first by cooking something fatty like hamburgers to get the briquettes soaked with grease, so there will be some smoke to flavor the steaks. :licklips:

It will also give you a chance to see how the burners behave on different settings - it's a hell of a lot cheaper to incinerate burgers than steaks. :cool:

But you probably already knew all that. :toast:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I've run a batch-o-burgers across it, and some cheap-o stealks. Kinda windy both times though, making it harder to see if it hotspots.

Winky

This is like a pr0no thread for carnivores.
I haven’t eaten red meat in days and days
time to fire up the grill!

Sharky

*bump*

Doing the Father's day cookout thang this weekend. Grillin up some taters, chicken, and steaks.

Chicken is already marinating nicely thankyouverymuch. Boneless skinless breast in Italian dressing and some additional spices that if I divulge them I'd have to kill you. The steaks will be a bit of a challenge though. New grill, so I ain't intimately familiar with how it behaves just yet. One steak will be actively bloody and still trying to escape (AllEars'), mine will be precisely 22 seconds short of medium rare, another is to be medium or just a tad under, and the other is to be medium well but not too dry, if such exists. Can't marinade because everybody has aversion to at least one of my 10 secret ingredients, and each one is a different aversion. Top it all off with some fried corn and a mystery dessert and it might just do.
How did the steaks turn out? :eh: