superstition defeats science

Professur

chcr said:
Too much risk with the possibility of no return.

But ... wait a minute. We're continually being told about how this is gonna cure everything from cancer and old age to athletes foot and Mother Theresa's bunions. Are you telling me now that the well-informed and goal oriented pharmacutical companies aren't as sure? How can that be?

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
But ... wait a minute. We're continually being told about how this is gonna cure everything from cancer and old age to athletes foot and Mother Theresa's bunions. Are you telling me now that the well-informed and goal oriented pharmacutical companies aren't as sure? How can that be?
People are generally more realistic when it's their own money. :lol:

Note that I think stem cell research is a good idea. Preliminary results do show some promise. It will have to be government subsidized though, and the US government isn't going to do it (note that the democrats won't either but then there really isn't any difference).

Professur

I agree. Stem cells may be the future equivalent of the vaccine or the antibiotic. My problem has always been, and will always be the choice of the source for those stem cells.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
IMO, goverments should finance R&D, it is the only way to keep a country in the first world. You got no technology, you got nothing.

unclehobart

Frankly, we don't need cures. We need faster ways to die. The population is doubling every 25 years. If we try for like 20 billion, this little blue marble of ours is going to pop like a zit.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Luis G said:
IMO, goverments should finance R&D, it is the only way to keep a country in the first world. You got no technology, you got nothing.

Who said we don't fund R&D?

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
Frankly, we don't need cures. We need faster ways to die. The population is doubling every 25 years. If we try for like 20 billion, this little blue marble of ours is going to pop like a zit.
The Godwhale is an interesting take. I personally believe that we will no longer be human long before that point.

Gotholic

unclehobart said:

The concept that the earth is becoming overpopulated is nothing more than a myth.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Luis G said:

Still waiting to find out what government has ever created or figured out.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gonz said:
Still waiting to find out what government has ever created or figured out.

Geez...........:lol:

I still want to believe I'm misuderstanding what you just said.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What has a government financed study ever discovered that benefitted mankind?

Private sector R&D is full of important inventions, discoveries, cures...the feds just waste tax dollars.

2minkey

bootlicker
Gato_Solo said:
Another swipe at religion. You do seem like a broken record on this...

my reference to "dogma" was not an intentional religious reference, subtle or not.

in any case, it's only STUPID religion that i don't like. and it's STUPID, irrational, religion that's in play here. SMART religion understands that domains of faith and science are wholly separate i.e. you can't PROVE or DISPROVE "god" like you can prove that lance bass is gay. it's a matter of faith.

I had no problem with the RELIGIOUS aspects of passover dinner a couple months ago, becuase the people there were not superstitious twits trying to advance some ancient bullshit morality at the expense of our collective economic futures. I have no problems going to an occasional catholic mass to humor my partner's parents because it ain't over the top, shove it down yer throat, er, dogma. it is kinda boring though.

and it's perfectly reasonable for me to make fun of or discuss dismissively matters of STUPID RELIGION as it relates to moral politics in this country, given the discussion that's been made by others here that's anti-gay, anti-immigrant or minority, anti-arab, anti-tolerance, whatever.

you (or winky perhaps) can blame fags and beaners for the decrapitude that surrounds us - i blame STUPID RELIGION - which is distinct from OTHER, NON_STUPID RELIGION.

as a sidelight....
at this point i really don't care to argue sources. it's obvious enough to me that there's a lot of hubbub about non-adult stem cells. if adult stems cells were so much better, no one would give a fuck about non-adult stem cells. so fuck it.

unclehobart

Gotholic said:
The concept that the earth is becoming overpopulated is nothing more than a myth.
In a world with finite resouces, I disagree. You can structure the Earth to feed 5 times what we do... but what are you going to do when the oil runs dry and the trees are roasted. It can only go so far until that cliff is reached. The air would probably be rather toxic by then anyway. Pulmonary diseases will climb 10 fold. Only a determined effort to go 95% nuclear, wind, geothermal... basically non-coal/oil based energy.

Gotholic

unclehobart said:
In a world with finite resouces, I disagree. You can structure the Earth to feed 5 times what we do... but what are you going to do when the oil runs dry and the trees are roasted. It can only go so far until that cliff is reached. The air would probably be rather toxic by then anyway. Pulmonary diseases will climb 10 fold. Only a determined effort to go 95% nuclear, wind, geothermal... basically non-coal/oil based energy.

I agree with you for the most part, but not that overpopulation is the cause. Birth rates in nearly all industrialized nations are actually below replacement levels. The real problem is improper use of resources.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
2minkey said:
my reference to "dogma" was not an intentional religious reference, subtle or not.

Sure sounded like one to me...

2minkey said:
in any case, it's only STUPID religion that i don't like. and it's STUPID, irrational, religion that's in play here. SMART religion understands that domains of faith and science are wholly separate i.e. you can't PROVE or DISPROVE "god" like you can prove that lance bass is gay. it's a matter of faith.

And now you, personally, are a judge of religion?

2minkey said:
I had no problem with the RELIGIOUS aspects of passover dinner a couple months ago, becuase the people there were not superstitious twits trying to advance some ancient bullshit morality at the expense of our collective economic futures. I have no problems going to an occasional catholic mass to humor my partner's parents because it ain't over the top, shove it down yer throat, er, dogma. it is kinda boring though.

and it's perfectly reasonable for me to make fun of or discuss dismissively matters of STUPID RELIGION as it relates to moral politics in this country, given the discussion that's been made by others here that's anti-gay, anti-immigrant or minority, anti-arab, anti-tolerance, whatever.

And what is the definition of hypocrite?

2minkey said:
you (or winky perhaps) can blame fags and beaners for the decrapitude that surrounds us - i blame STUPID RELIGION - which is distinct from OTHER, NON_STUPID RELIGION.

Hmmm...I blame you, and your ilk, personally, for every problem the world has. Why? Because you judge based upon religion, instead of looking at the 'decrapitude', and where it's coming from, and making an informed decision. You look at something and decide that, if it doesn't fit your view, its STUPID, and then you seek to tear down whatever it is...or...if it has something you want, you're completely happy to use it until it no longer has anything of value for you, personally, and then you seek to tear it down. That is the worst kind of hypocrisy.

2minkey said:
as a sidelight....
at this point i really don't care to argue sources. it's obvious enough to me that there's a lot of hubbub about non-adult stem cells. if adult stems cells were so much better, no one would give a fuck about non-adult stem cells. so fuck it.

So you don't even look? That's what this is about...not stem cells. The simple fact is you have decided that this is the only way it should be, and nothing will sway your opinion...then you have the unmitigated gall to slam religion?

chcr

Too cute for words
Gotholic said:
I agree with you for the most part, but not that overpopulation is the cause. Birth rates in nearly all industrialized nations are actually below replacement levels. The real problem is improper use of resources.
What is that, 5% of the nations on the planet? I think the population problem is overstated, but there are real consequences.