The Left's Phoney Outrage Over Phoney Rush Quote

spike

Not true. And you know it's not true.

It certainly is true.

Rush was talking about the same people that ABC News has called "phoney soldiers" in their report Operation Stolen Valor:

No he wasn't, lame excuse.

Why does Rush hate America? He obviously doesn't give a shit about the military or our existence. Let's wiretap his fat traitor ass.

tonksy

I was listening to a wee intervie with Mike Huckabee today and I love they way he put it. "Why are we wasting time worrying about what a talk show host has to say? It's certainly within his rights and it's, in the grand scheme of things, completely unimportant."

Cerise

:rofl3:

What--suddenly this isn't a story anymore? Why's the media so quiet now?

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I am holding in my formerly nicotine-stained fingers -- this is a scanned copy of it -- the original letter that Senate majority leader Harry Reid sent to the CEO of Clear Channel Communications demanding that they censure me and make me apologize for my phony soldier remark in which they falsely smeared me as having been critical of servicemen who would come back and were disagreeing with the war, when they knew full well that's not what I was doing. I don't want to relive the whole episode.

The point is, I, El Rushbo, was not sent this letter by Dingy Harry, but I, El Rushbo, have it. It is signed by 41 Democrats. On the first page, Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer, Tom Harkin, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Dick Durbin, Patty Murray, Jack Reed, Frank Lautenberg, Bernie Sanders, the second page, I don't want to go through all of these but there are three pages of signatures. We have special plans for this letter, ladies and gentlemen. I can't announce those plans as we speak at the moment.

END TRANSCRIPT

Bid is over $25,000. I wonder if those who signed the letter will accept the challenge to match the winning bid for charity? They do support the troops, don't they?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Harry-...oryZ4105QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Up for auction is the original letter signed by 41 Democrat senators. This historic document may well represent the first time in the history of America that this large a group of U.S. senators attempted to demonize a private citizen by lying about his views. As such, it is a priceless memento of the folly of Harry Reid and his 40 senatorial co-signers.

The entire proceeds of this auction.. the entire high bid... will be donated to The Marine Corps - Law Enforcement Foundation, a registered charity which provides financial assistance to the children of fallen Marines and federal law enforcement officers. Rush Limbaugh serves on the Board of this organization and has been active on its behalf. All costs of this auction will be paid by the seller... every dollar of your winning bid will go to this charity, which has to date distributed over $29 million.

jimpeel

http://www.mediaresearch.org/BozellColumns/newscolumn/2007/col20071009.asp

Rush Limbaugh, Vindicated

by L. Brent Bozell III
October 9, 2007

The ruckus over the Rush Limbaugh "phony soldiers" statement is dying down. It ought not to. There is a huge story here.

What did Rush say? In a September 26 conversation with a caller to his program who claimed the media never interview "real soldiers," but just people out of the blue, Rush added for emphasis, "the phony soldiers."

The left saw its opportunity and pounced with a vengeance. Led by the George Soros-funded and Hillary Clinton-inspired Media Matters outfit, it unleashed a scorched-earth attack on Limbaugh for insulting the military, stating that any servicemen or women who might oppose the war in Iraq had been defamed by the talk show host as "phony soldiers."

The television networks, newspapers, and leftist blog sites were ablaze with stories about Democratic outrage. There were calls for his show to be yanked from the Armed Forces Radio Network. There were demands that Clear Channel make Rush apologize, and that advertisers pull their sponsorship.

Presidential candidates denounced him. Congressional leaders -- the usual crowd of Reid, Pelosi, Harkin, Kerry, etc. -- denounced him. A formal congressional resolution condemning Limbaugh was drawn up by Rep. Mark Udall (D- CO) and reportedly had over one hundred Democrat (and one Republican) signers. The message was clear: Limbaugh's anti-military insult could not, and would not be tolerated.

How disingenuous was this leftist attack on Limbaugh? Let us count the ways.

1. Before reviewing the facts of the case, one has to shake his head in disbelief that anyone would accuse Limbaugh of an anti-military bias. A day doesn't go by when he isn't praising our military on his radio program. He's visited the troops on the battlefield in Afghanistan, and brought comfort to our wounded at the Walter Reed Army hospital. He's raised and donated millions to military charities. It is no wonder that he is the single most popular personality on the Armed Forces Radio Network.

2. Less than two minutes after uttering the words "phony soldiers," Limbaugh elaborated on the subject, explaining exactly what he meant by the term. He named one Jesse Macbeth as an example of a phony soldier. Macbeth had become an overnight darling of the far left, a self-described Iraq war veteran and Purple Heart recipient man who posted a YouTube video denouncing American military atrocities he'd witnessed. Except he was never awarded a Purple Heart. He was never in Iraq. In fact, he was never in the military, period. He was tossed out of boot camp after four months. Macbeth is now in prison serving a five-month term for falsifying Army records and applying falsely for veterans' benefits. Limbaugh was right.

Limbaugh also pointed that that he wasn't the first to discuss the Macbeth phony soldier story. Brian Ross had filed a report on this man several nights before, on ABC’s World News. Mr. Ross even used the term "phony soldier" -- and not a soul on the left found fault with that.

3. So the left returned with another charge: Limbaugh had used the plural, "phony soldiers," therefore Limbaugh's sole example -- Macbeth -- was inadequate. So are there any other "phony soldiers" out there? Jeffrey Sullivan, the U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Washington, thinks so. Besides prosecuting Macbeth, he's prosecuted another five "phony soldiers." Jim O'Neill, the assistant inspector general for investigations at the Veterans Administration, confirms that the federal government is presently conducting another 60 such "stolen valor" cases. Rush was right, in spades.

And when Rush fought back, that military hawk Sen. Tom Harkin took to the floor of the Senate to denounce him for engaging in a publicity stunt, for ratings. In other words, Rush had no right to defend himself.

4. The left knows Rush was correct, yet, just as with the spurious racist accusations against Bill O'Reilly the week before, the attacks continued for days, unabated. This is no accident, and no coincidence. Yesterday it was MoveOn. Today it's Media Matters. This is the far left at its repugnant worst, perfectly content to destroy a man's reputation through dishonest attacks if it will further its agenda. Josef Stalin would be proud of this movement.

Rush has beaten them all back now. In fact, as with the Petraeus/"Betray Us" attacks by MoveOn, this newest round of attempted character assassination backfired, and did nothing but re-energize conservatives. But this won't stop the left. Tomorrow it will be Sean Hannity, or Mark Levin, or maybe Laura Ingraham. This group plays for keeps.

And what of all those media outlets giving aid and comfort to the leftists who attacked Rush? Now that we know there are several dozen cases of "phony soldier" scandals, just as Rush suggested, how many stories have they devoted to them, thus vindicating Rush? Check for a Jesse Macbeth story in a Nexis database search on CBS, NBC, and NPR. Search Time, Newsweek and USA Today. Look up the Washington Post, the New York Times and USA Today.

You won’t find a one.

jimpeel

The auction results are posted at Rush's webpage http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/today.guest.html and the current bid is $50,300 USD.

There is also a video of Rush making the announcement that he will be auctioning the letter and denouncing them for attempting to censure and censor a private American citizen.

The winner will get:

• The letter
  • The titanium briefcase which holds the letter
  • A personal letter of thanks from Rush Limbaugh
  • A photograph of Rush holding the letter on stage in Philadelphia on October 11, 2007.
Great stuff.

jimpeel

Rush will match E-Bay winning bid

Will Harry Reid and the other 40 Democrats take up this challenge? Don't hold your breath unless you look really, really good in blue.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_101507/content/01125108.guest.html

Rush Will Match High eBay Bid on Historic Senate Smear Letter

October 15, 2007

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Let me cover with you the latest on the eBay auction of the Dingy Harry smear letter. Let me check it here: $45,100. The auction will last until Friday at 1 p.m., and you can go to RushLimbaugh.com and see the link there. We have a little eBay widget there on our home page, which constantly updates the number of hits and the current bid. We're getting a lot of e-mails. And, by the way, folks, I forgot to announce this on Friday. Of course, I'm going to match whatever this is. Of course, I always do. Whatever it ends up, I'm going to match the dollar figure, and I have suggested that Senator Reid and the 40 other Democrats who signed the smear letter to Mark Mays, the CEO of Clear Channel, also match the donation that's going to Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation. It provides college scholarships for the children of Marines and law enforcement officials killed in action. I've suggested they should show their support for the military also by matching whatever the high bid is.

When we left here Friday afternoon the bid was at $5,500, and over the weekend it just climbed, and climbed, and climbed, and now it's at $45,100 and climbing. And we are getting -- I want to acknowledge this -- tons of e-mails from people who want to buy copies of the letter for donations to the Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation. We are getting a huge number of e-mails from people who want us to make copies of the smear letter for sale or for auction as well. I'm talking thousands of e-mails. Because the price on eBay has gotten to the level now that a lot of people are automatically excluded, just don't have that kind of money to bid even if it does go to charity, they simply can't afford to bid for the original at this point. Now, we're considering this, but in a way different than you might think. The smear letter is an official correspondence from the United States Senate. It is on Harry Reid's official Senate majority letterhead and it was signed by 40 Senators, co-conspirators.

In the course of their working day, you've already paid for this letter. This is one of the points to be made about this. This was official Senate business, and you were not getting official Senate business done, you were getting this distraction regarding a smear of a private citizen for what you are paying these people. So you've already paid for this letter. Your taxes support these distinguished nincompoops, and there's no reason that you should be asked to pay for it twice. Why should you have to pay? This is what we're going to do: We want to raise every dollar we can for the Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation, but unlike the libs, we're going to treat you as adults, not children who need to be told what to do. I mean I would love to see a copy of the smear letter in every household in this country. I'd like to see a copy of the smear letter magnetized to everybody's refrigerator in this country. If you have more than one refrigerator in your house like I do, then as many refrigerators you have, get as many copies of the smear letter.

So here's what we're gonna do. If you go to my website or the eBay auction page, just download it. Just download it and print it. We're going to let you have it. It may take awhile to get this up and running because I'm springing this as a surprise on the web people. But just go to my website or the eBay auction page, download the letter, it's four pages, and print it out. If you have a color printer, you'll get an exact replica. If not, you'll get a black-and-white version of it. We have reproduced it in full quality color, both places, my website and at eBay, so you can keep it as a memento. Then, if you'd like, we leave it up to you, if you want to go to the Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation's website we'll put a link on our website where you can get to it, it's already up there, you see the logo, and you can make a donation of whatever amount you want, five dollars, $50, $500, whatever you want to do. If you don't want to make a donation, you can't afford one, you don't have to do that. It's your letter already. You have already paid for this. You have already paid because the senators who wrote and signed this letter were doing it on official time.

We could go the other way and make this available for donations, but I want to leave that up to you. We're not going to force you to make a donation if you can't afford it or don't want to just to get a copy. I want as many copies of this letter all over the country as possible. Now, in addition, about the original, a number of people have asked about the condition of the letter. We've had it under guard, as you know, if you've been paying attention, in a Halliburton metal briefcase since its arrival and it's in the same condition that we received it. It has not been folded, and it has not been damaged in any way. It's generally pristine. There are a couple flaws in it, but I don't really consider them flaws. This is what makes the thing original, and you can see both of these flaws, by the way, if you enlarge page two of the letter at the eBay auction page. On page two there's a light blue pen park about two inches long next to the top paragraph. It's as though some senator of advancing years had a hard time holding the pen steady. Or maybe it was signed after five o'clock. We got an office pool on who made this blue streak. Our office pool money is on Senator Lautenberg at this point.

There's also, and you've probably seen this if you've looked at this any time in color, there is a small yellow smear on the paper in the left margin of page two. We think that Senator Kennedy may have been eating a hot dog when he signed. I don't know. It looks like it's a little Sharpie, a yellow Sharpie or highlighter. That's how it was when we got it, and we didn't do these things to it. Nobody has touched this. You see it as we got it. Neither of these smears -- uh, smudges, ladies and gentlemen, impede the value of the document in any way. But in the interest of full disclosure, we thought you ought to know because people have been asking about it, and it's a good question.

spike

Yeah, Rush's getting other people to donate to charity for him has vindicated him. :rofl4:

What an asshole. :laugh:

jimpeel

Oh, yeah, Rush is getting "other people to donate to charity for him" by selling them an historical document and THEN MATCHING THAT SALE PRICE OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET.

Rush has always supported the military and their mission and those who accuse him of otherwise have always opposed the military and their mission. THAT'S the vindication, not the money.

Just how much seething hatred do you have stored in that body of yours anyway? Seems like there's more than enough to go around.

spike

Oh, yeah, Rush is getting "other people to donate to charity for him" by selling them an historical document and THEN MATCHING THAT SALE PRICE OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET.

Selling a historical document? :rofl4:

Rush has always supported the military and their mission and those who accuse him of otherwise have always opposed the military and their mission. THAT'S the vindication, not the money.

Rush has always been a blowhard and towed the party line.

Just how much seething hatred do you have stored in that body of yours anyway? Seems like there's more than enough to go around.

Insults again? Stop freaking out.

I don't hate Rush. I find him comical. I even turn his radio show on every once in awhile for a laugh.

spike

Worth about as much as they were on the resolution with MoveOn. Calling either a historical document is a stretch. :D

jimpeel

Yeah, Rush's getting other people to donate to charity for him has vindicated him. :rofl4:

Leukemia and lymphoma telethon

Limbaugh holds an annual fundraising telethon called the "EIB Cure-a-Thon" for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

In 2006 the EIB Cure-a-Thon conducted its 16th annual telethon, raising $1.7 million;

totaling over $15 million since the first cure-a-thon.

According to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society annual reports, Limbaugh personally contributed between $100,000 and $499,999 from 2000 - 2005

and Limbaugh claims to have contributed around $250,000 in 2003, 2004 and 2005.

NewsMax reported Limbaugh donated $250,000 in 2006.

Limbaugh donated $320,000 during the 2007 Cure-a-Thon

which reportedly raised $3 million.

jimpeel

The "non-historical" document is now bid at $65,100. That means the Marine Corps - Law Enforcement Foundation will glean $130,200, including Limbaugh's matching share, even if no other bids are tendered.

So you do not find it historical that the United States Senate tried to censure and censor a private citizen of the United States? That the same people doing so are on record maligning our troops? Accusing them of murder? Accusing them of being Nazis?

The fact is that this is an unprecedented act by our government and that, in and of itself, makes that document historical. As for the signatures? You are right. Those who signed it will be relegated to the ash heap of history and this document will go down in history as the catalyst by which they fell.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Selling a historical document?

What previous Senate has sent a letter censuring a private citizen? Seems historical in that sense. Add to it, the fact that something lie 5 current or former Presidential Candidates signed it & it has (around) 40 signatures by current Senators.

Historical.

It doesn't matter whether you like Rush or not, Congress has no business censuring anybody in the private sector. Technically, they can't censure anyone besides another Senator. It was dumb to get involved with the MoveOn crap & this is even more idiotic. MoveOn is a political organization. Rush is a talk show host.