The Liberals’ Creed

ResearchMonkey

Gonz said:
Leslie-may I call these fools nazis?

How about enlightend?

Les said:
I have no hope that my post over there will be actually posted,

Funny, you being a lib n'all, I wonder if you will be allowed to make a comment of your own choosing. Maybe only libs that meet their criteria are allowed preach the approved message.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Why yes, RM, that is the case...

This is a strategy discussion forum for like-minded liberals and progressives. It exists for the purpose of providing an alternative to the debate forums that are abundant across the Internet. If you wish to debate, please go here, as any anti-progressive or right-wing posts left on this board will be removed.

Note: Threats against the president are illegal and will not be tolerated. Do it and you will be banned!

While criticism from a progressive viewpoint is welcome, that from a conservative viewpoint is not. Please respect our wishes and post on the proper forum.

Do not whine about your first amendment right. The first amendment doesn't protect your right to post on a privately-owned forum any more than it protects my right to walk into your house and scream in your living room.

Do not whine about us being afraid to debate. We have a dedicated debate forum for that. If you think that forum's not as nice as this one, feel free to make a donation to help us with server costs.

Do not whine about us supressing your opinion. No doubt you will rush to the scores upon scores of conservative forums that remove progressive posts.

Sassing Moderators will not be tolerated. If you are being a complete jackass you will be banned. Complaining about our decision to ban someone will get you nowhere, and if you annoy us enough you might find yourself banned as well.

Abuse of the Private Messaging/E-mail system is bannable.

These forums are moderated for a reason. We are trying to channel a certain demographic of voters to discuss the issues which are important to them, but we also are trying to maintain a palatable atmosphere for as wide an audience as possible, within that demographic. To that end, we cannot allow overtly offensive material to exist. This is subject to a certain amount of interpretation, but if people start complaining, then it's a problem and we will act. The decisions of the moderation team are not subject for debate. If a decision is made, then that is how it is. Administrative decisions about the boards are made in consultation with all members of the moderating/administration team. These rules are a guideline for posters. They don't cover everything. If we decide something we will try and warn people about their behavior before having to ban. Again, our decisions are final.

If you have questions about registering, please ask here.

Thanks, and happy posting.

With that out of the way I'd like to take this opportunity to remind people just how good they have it at OTC. Thank you Sam.

markjs

Banned
The thread I started at GW Bush was taken down by the moderator against my will. I sent her this message when she asked if she should take it down:

I think we should stand fast and leave it. I refuse to let them get me down about it. I haven't done anything wrong. I apologize to them because I am sorry if I offended anyone, but I still have to stand behind what I do. Please allow the post that Leslie posted in ABB be posted too.

She took it down before I could answer. I am very disappointed, but I did what I could.

ResearchMonkey

I've got a copy if you want one for posterity.

Prolly best to sweep it under the rug, cant' have the actual facts lying around like that anyway.

- - - - - -

"Bush is crooked and hides all the facts" :faptard:

markjs

Banned
markjs Posted: Jun 12 2004, 10:18 PM

Concerned

Group: Members
Member No.: 2870

http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14981

The above is an example of a debate going on in the "real world" forum at Off Topic Central http://www.otcentral.com/forum/index.php? The board is a lot of fun, but I am not the most educated nor am I the most caught up with current events guys you'll see. I'd love to see some of you brilliant liberal minds take on the conservatives that dominate the board. Come on the worst it could be is a little bit fun right?

--------------------

"Why is the media liberal? Liberals cover facts. Conservatives cover up facts!" --Me!

Won't you help me Mr. Jesus? Won't you tell me if you can? When you see this world we live in do you still believe in man? -Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath

markjs Posted: Jun 12 2004, 11:32 PM

Concerned

Wow it actually worked for me once. I am replaying because it seems when a post gets replies it stays visible.

--------------------

"Why is the media liberal? Liberals cover facts. Conservatives cover up facts!" --Me!

Won't you help me Mr. Jesus? Won't you tell me if you can? When you see this world we live in do you still believe in man? -Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath

arfurvirus Posted: Jun 13 2004, 02:27 AM

Dissenter

Member No.: 3081

alas, tonight I am having a few, and would probably flame. However, I'll register and slap them around some with you tomorrow.
;-)

--------------------

Before voting for ANY Bush again, watch THIS

arfurvirus Posted: Jun 13 2004, 02:31 AM

Dissenter

ahh, what the hell, charliekola checking in....
Time to fist reagan.

I'll be banned in an hour.

Edit: and away we go....
http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showthread....3412#post343412

--------------------

arfurvirus Posted: Jun 13 2004, 05:09 AM

Dissenter

markjs, I admire your balls. You decided to try to join in and participate in a forum where the ADMN is a fucking nutball, brainless neocon stroke.

Oh and he has been eloquently owned all the way through by yours truely.

I am sure the attempt at rational debate is over, by morning when I go back the thread will either be locked or filled with 30 sumt responses of utter bullshit by his cronies, but the guy still looks like a moron.
http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showthread....3412#post343412

--------------------

RoyalWickedness Posted: Jun 13 2004, 05:10 PM

Progressive

Member No.: 2970

Well, I have, perhaps foolishly, interjected my $.02 over there. Unfortunately, those sorts of boards are filled with mindless sychophants who are incapable of processing logical information...

--------------------

When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends. ---Japanese Proverb

When you seek vengeance, dig two graves. -- Chinese Proverb

Everything is part of the same thing. - My Grandma

Who is Yoomie, and why should I believe him?

CyberFly Posted: Jun 13 2004, 05:11 PM

Free Thinker

Member No.: 45

Kudos Mark.

shainalovesyou Posted: Jun 13 2004, 10:14 PM

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 61

there's no chance they could invade here i hope. I am registering in my name...

--------------------

They sell us lies - But we will not be deceived
They sell us sides - But we will not be divided
They sell us wars - But we will not be murdered
We are not for sale. We are for truth.

arfurvirus Posted: Jun 13 2004, 10:22 PM

Dissenter

QUOTE (shainalovesyou @ Jun 13 2004, 10:14 PM)
there's no chance they could invade here i hope. I am registering in my name...

Clyde has over half a brain, you need to post 25-50 times before your posts are not moderated. At least thats what I went through.

the chance of an invasion by these nitwits is minimal.

;-)

This is great, a quick crumbling of that boards value system, (led by the dim...)

Common ya'll I am having a blast!

--------------------

RoyalWickedness Posted: Jun 13 2004, 11:33 PM

Progressive

Member No.: 2970

This is from the other board:

one more time. if this is a gang bag to make yourselves feel better for being a dem or rep stop it. Im growing very weary from both sides. agrue the points and stop going after the poster.......

So who went after the poster?? I don't recall seeing anyone go after the poster. All I did was to rather politely ask the poster to refrain from using a stock argument and back his position up with verifiable sources. Hmmm...

Have I mentioned today that I do love this place? Kind of like a dysfunctional family; no matter how fucked up it might be, it's still home.

--------------------

When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends. ---Japanese Proverb

When you seek vengeance, dig two graves. -- Chinese Proverb

Everything is part of the same thing. - My Grandma

Who is Yoomie, and why should I believe him?

arfurvirus Posted: Jun 13 2004, 11:33 PM

Dissenter

Ok, boys and girls, the admn at this place is getting mighty irritable.
(good job)

To all of you who have participated.

Now the words, (even if I got a member of the admin to admit he was, under a specified definiton) Neocon, ect. are not allowed.

Play slick from here on in.

EDIT: I LOVE GWB FORUMS.
Oh dear, the nasty uneducated, ignorant sonomabitches out there....

--------------------

markjs Posted: Jun 14 2004, 02:13 AM

Concerned

Thanks for your guy's support. I was feeling alone there for a while. I am a long term member there so I can't go too crazy cuz I want to remain a member there. I fad in and out over there.....when it gets ugly I fade out but I always come back. You almost have to respect that Gonz guy though....He is a rock and semi intelligent, wrong and misguided though he is. He is an admin so I play cool around him....The most heated debate we ever had was about tobbacco. He claims it's never been proven harmful and he swears by it.

Anyways I like to see the liberal prescense there, thanks guys.

--------------------

Thats all I had of it in my window....there were further posts but thats the gist of it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You seem to have missed the last post about telling charlie to "continue to give 'em hell".

markjs

Banned
It wasn't on the page and if I had refreshed the page would have been gone. If anyone has a copy of the last 3 or 4 posts I wecome them to post it. I don't have a problem laying my cards on the table. Much as some of you wish I did.

Winky

Liberals’ dying scream!

Gonz said:
You seem to have missed the last post about telling charlie to "continue to give 'em hell".
and perhaps missed the boat as well...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
markjs said:
It wasn't on the page and if I had refreshed the page would have been gone. If anyone has a copy of the last 3 or 4 posts I wecome them to post it. I don't have a problem laying my cards on the table. Much as some of you wish I did.

psssssttt, don't tell anyone...it was your post

markjs

Banned
We believe in the United Nations, and Kofi Annan, the maker of international legitimacy.
I believe the UN is the best world governing body we have, flawed though it is. I do not believe the UN is the final word, but I do believe its a step in the right direction twords a world governing body,

We believe that the UN inspections worked.
We believe that SCUD missiles fired at U.S. troops minutes after the war began don’t change anything;
We believe that 3 liters of sarin gas used against U.S. troops doesn’t change anything;
We believe that finding evidence of mustard gas doesn’t change anything.
I believe the UN inspections were flawed. I believe we knew they had the scuds and I believe if any substantial WMD evidence was found it would be worldwide headline news the administration would be all over it.

We believe that the war in Iraq conducted by a Republican president was unjustified because it lacked UN approval;
We believe that the "military action" in Kosovo conducted by a Democratic president was justified without UN approval.
I believe both actions should have had UN approval but bot actions may have been politically necessary.

We believe that the Iraq war was unilateral.
We believe that the participation of Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, Georgia, Honduras, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, and Ukraine does not change the fact that the war was unilateral;
We believe that multilateralism can only be achieved with the participation of France and Germany;
We believe in multilateralism.
No I believe it was somewhat multilateral but it doesn't make it right.

We believe that this war was motivated by greed and oil;
We believe that when France, Germany, and Russia opposed the war, they were motivated by principle, and not by sweetheart oil deals or Oil-For-Food kickbacks;
We believe that US oil prices are too high, and that the administration failed in its responsibility to do something about it.
In part the war was about greed and oil but thats not all it is about. Saddam did need to be removed from power and I consider that part of the war a success. I would howver like to know why I, on the west coast, who is only using gas from Alaska oil is paying over $2 a gallon?

We believe that the U.S. may only legitimately use force for humanitarian ends in one place if it does so in all places where aid might be needed;
We believe that the U.S. may not quell threats in places where the cost is relatively low unless it is willing to use force in places like North Korea, where the cost in lives would likely be very high;
We believe that a humanitarian action is only truly humanitarian if there are no strategic interests to muddle the altruism.
It would be ignorant to think that there wouldn't always be stategic objectives in any war. I do think it;s hypocritcal to take out one tyrant when we simultaneously lend economic support to another

We believe that President Bush lied.
We believe that Prime Minister Blair lied.
We believe that when Hillary Clinton and Dick Gephardt voted for the war based on the same intelligence relied upon by Bush and Blair, they made reasonable decisions based on the intelligence available at the time.
I believe that all politicians lie. I believe when the only intelligence you have is flawed you can be justified in making a wrong decision.

We believe that the administration did not make the case for war;
We believe that the administration offered many different reasons but could not offer a coherent message explaining the need to go to war;
We believe that the administration made perfectly clear that the only reason we were going to war was because of the threat from WMDs.
Yes I believe that.

We believe that there were no WMDs.
We believe that finding sarin gas is 14th page news;
We believe that if the sarin gas is old, then it really isn’t a WMD we were looking for;
We believe that it wasn’t really sarin gas;
We believe that sarin gas isn’t necessarily a WMD.
I believe it has yet to be proven to my satisfaction the enough WMDs have been found or have been proven to exist, to justify this war.

We believe that there was no terrorist connection to, or threat from, Iraq.
We believe that members of Abu Nidal in Iraq would not have committed terrorist acts if we had not invaded;
We believe that al Qaeda operative Abu Musab al-Zarqawi would not have committed terrorist acts if we had not invaded;
We believe that Saddam’s terrorist training camp at Salman Pak—complete with a Boeing 707 plane used for hijacking drills—did not exist or posed no real threat;
We believe that it was merely a coincidence that the pharmaceutical factory bombed by President Clinton in Sudan was using al Qaeda funds and a uniquely Iraqi formula to produce VX gas;
We believe that we are responsible for bringing terror on ourselves.
I believe there are terrorists all throughout the middle east, even Iraq. I do not believe this is any proven Iraq/Al Quaeda connection. In no way do I think we bring terror on ourselves on the scale of 9/11. That tragedy must not go un punished, but going after Bin Laden, and not Iraq would have been more prudent. I believe acts of terrorsim against US personell in Iraq are simpl casualties of war, but they justify engaging the enemy. We do not have the right to torture Iraqis

We believe that the prisoner abuse in Abu Ghraib is widespread and is probably the tip of the iceberg;
We believe that Abu Ghraib proves that the America’s occupation is no different than Saddam’s tyranny;
We believe that any attempt to suggest that there is a moral difference between a regime which systematically killed 300,000 people and tortured countless others and a regime which punished the acts of Abu Ghraib is illegitimate.
Rubbish! I believe Saddam's rule was far worse than the torture of Iraqis. The torture however is still wron!

We believe that soldiers deliberately target women and children;
We believe that the soldiers abuse and kill Iraqis because they are racists;
We support our troops.
No I don't, no again, and yes.

We believe that no one should question our statement that we "support our troops;"
We believe that the best thing that could happen for this country would be for Bush to lose in November;
We believe that the best way for Bush to lose in November is for the Iraq effort to go poorly, even if that means that more Iraqis and troops will die;
We believe that most of the troops are minorities and the poor;
We believe that when the word "heroes" is used to describe our troops, it should always be enclosed in scare quotes
I hope that Bush will be defeated and yes if Iraq goes badly that could have an effect. I wish that no more Americans or Iraqis would be killed in Iraq. I wish our troops would come home. I sincerly hope that casualties are minimal and that Bush is defeated for other reasons.

We believe in quagmire.
We believe that when fringe Iraqi groups attack hard targets and are soundly defeated with relatively low Coalition casualties, that this is inescapable evidence of crisis;
We believe that Iraq is Bush’s Vietnam.
Does anyone really believe in quagmire? Vietnam and Iraq are totally different conflicts. There are paralells but there is no serious comparison to be made. The most vietnam like thing about Iraq is that there will always be restance fighters in Iraq

We believe that Vietnam is the lens through which all wars should be viewed.
We believe that soldiers in Vietnam were baby killers;
We believe that John Kerry is a hero for his service in Vietnam.
No Vietnam was Vietnam, all conflicts are different. Some of the soldiers in Vietnam did indeed kill babys, that is an incontravertible fact. All I know about John Kerry's war record is that he won commendations. I assume he won them for a reason

We believe that because John Kerry is a hero, he necessarily has the national security expertise necessary to be commander-in-chief.
We believe that any attempt to question his national security expertise based on his voting record, including his decision to vote against a supplemental bill used to buy the soldiers body armor, is an unfair attack on the patriotism of a hero, who by virtue of this honorific has the expertise to be commander-in-chief.
I believe with is combined military and senatorial service he is qualified. I disagree with the vote against body armor but I do not blindly follow Kerry wherever he may lead.

We believe in the trinity: NPR, CNN, and the New York Times. We believe in Ted Kennedy, Tom Harkin, John Kerry, and all the DNC, and we look for President Clinton yet to come. Amen.
I believe in freedom of the press. I believe Ted Kennedy is a murderer, and I'd gladly take Clinton back

And that's just one Liberals opinion.

markjs

Banned
Now that I have gone to all the trouble of a rebuttal, I'd like to know where the original quote came from?

ResearchMonkey

catocom said:
Since RM's, and my posts don't seem the be debated,
am I to assume the accusations were successfully debunked?
http://otcentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=343602&postcount=67

But didn'cha knoooow that as you expended the effort to reply?

I am sure another outdated C/P, Op/Ed, book promotion, is the only response we can expect, . . . over and over again.

I have yet to see any replies to the three large post I have made based solely on the referenced facts. No doubt, the points I shown to be not true will re-appear . . . . over and over again.

Larner

Clinton "ran from the country"? Hmmm--when someone earns a Rhodes Scholarship, that is "running from the country"? But when someone is jumped into the National Guard and fails to meet his minimum requirements, that's okay?

Funny double standard you have there.

I smoked one time in my life--age three, when Big Bro made up a pipe of tobacco taken from spent cigarette butts.

I rarely drink, as alcohol just makes me sleepy.

I have used psychoactive medications ONLY when they were given to me or prescribed by physicians, and then usually stopped using them before I needed to because I couldn't stand how they altered my perceptions or fouled up my dreams.

But I can see that Bush's policies are counterproductive as well as hypocritical.

Strengthening penalties for drug usage only makes more criminals out of people who are primarily hurting themselves and their families. Treatment may help them--sending them to prison won't--just makes them more likely to become career criminals.

Larner

Gato_Solo said:
1. Education is the job of each state...not the federal government. If you are having problems with budgets, classroom size, and/or classroom discipline, you should address those problems to your state government...not the feds. The president can say anything he wants on the subject of education, and it doesn't mean squat if the states don't follow the policy. One more thing, and I'll move on...If you have problem children in your class, you'll find that there are problem parents in that childs home.

Agreed, many children who are in crisis have less than adequate parents--but that is NOT always the case. Have a case right now where a kid is out of control, and it is NOT the parents' fault--the kid has serious biochemical imbalances which they are trying desperately to isolate and offer appropriate treatment for before he does himself or others a serious injury.

Also, in the case of children whose parents are struggling just to stay afloat, such families are often so involved just trying to survive that they have neither time nor energy to deal effectively with their children's needs. And when it is a choice between a book and food, food will necessarily win out.

But Special Education is a federal concern, and I deal with Special Education. The standards I must meet in my work are dictated by the ADA, IDEA, and all the various Title programs that the federal government has put into place. When the federal government places the standards, it also must provide the means to see they are met. But instead we have dropping funding, increased documentation standards, and decreasing practical as well as financial support to see that the new standards are met.

2. Most people who are on assistance don't need it. The few who do deserve help are outnumbered, thus making the entire system a travesty. How can you justify your statement about failures with the system being overloaded with abusers?

I question the veracity of this statement.

A growing phenomenom in our state is the reality of tent cities for the homeless, most of whom were professionals who suddenly lost all when the businesses they worked for were taken over in mergers, and now the new companies want their own folk in charge or they want younger, cheaper employees working for them without older habits and perceptions that may need to be trained out of them or paid for in the nature of higher salaries. Without financial support all of a sudden, unable to find employment in a market where so many jobs are being shipped offshore to save money and up the bottom line, these folk have lost everything they had. This is a rapidly growing experience across the nation.

I'll tell you what--my own job is now in danger, and I'm not far from being the next candidate for such a new residence. And I owe a lot of the insecurity I face to Bush's simplistic ideas about what education should entail.

3. Most people who are on some type of welfare were there even before the Enron scandal. My personal belief is that every executive on their board should be doing hard labor is something I've espoused here quite often.

That is not true. Most folk who take advantage of Welfare are on it a limited amount of time. Are there abuses? Yes, as the Kid can tell you from experiences he has had with those who do. But most are not just taking advantage of you--they truly need help for a limited amount of time, and most are fully willing to take on a paying job when it becomes available and is sufficient to give them and their families a living wage.

Larner

By the way--am NOT and never have been a member of ABB. My one other political discussion group is an email list, and a limited one at that. And there I am seen by those on the left as being to the right while those on the right see me as being a flaming liberal, which the true flaming liberals on the list find hilarious.

Suggest many of you check out WM3.org, btw.

catocom

Larner, I have to agree with a lot of what you are saying there.
Especially about the schools.
It seem more and more people a "home schooling" now.
Not only because of the funding, and redtape, but because
administrators aren't screened good enough.
In thin area Ga., for from principle on up to the superI, there are
people that just look at is as a job, just don't give a crap, and
even criminal sex offenders in the system....
It's a travisty.
but.....
it all started before bush, and he just hasn't seemed to help the situation,
and it in fact is even worse now than last year. (gets worse every year)

I don't agree with everything the pres. is doing right now (domestically mostly)
but overall I support him.
Thus, my hesitation to vote for him again.

e.g. I thought the "frivolous laws suits act" was going to be a good thing.....
I missed the part where ,
6 months after admittance to a hospital, if you had complications due
to neglect and such, you basically have no case.
It should have been from the release date, not the entrance date.
My dad went in for a simple knee operation, and staff infection set in.
8 months later he lost his leg at mid thigh. Since the laws was changed,
he has no case, and no leg.