The Liberals’ Creed

markjs

Banned
All that trouble to make my rebuttal neat and orderly and nobody even acknowleges it :(. Furthermore nobody answered my question about where the original quote came from :( I think when these threads get to a certain size some people stop reading them all.

I so wanted to see it all picked apart!

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
gonz is on the road, but im sure when he gets back he wiil post the link and such.

Larner

Staph infection, eh? Not at all uncommon, you'll find. And it's when we don't read the small print in the legislation passed we find that we are losing out.

Everything this administration has done has been rife with small print, you'll discover when you start looking at their policies in depth.

It has been found that for those who are wrongly convicted of crimes they didn't do, it takes an average of FOURTEEN years for the mistake to be rectified--if it ever is. Yet Bush has pushed to have the appeals process shortened and limited, and execution procedures streamlined, which would bring execution at a much earlier time than the fourteen years typically it takes for an innocent individual to be recognized as innocent. If you don't care whether or not the people on Death Row are innocent or guilty, but simply assume that ONLY guilty folk get convicted, then maybe that's okay with you. But for those who want REAL justice for the truly guilty and freedom for the truly innocent, this is an alarming state of affairs. As over a 100 individuals from Death Rows across the nation have been freed as a result of DNA evidence alone since the death penalty was reinstated, and as even more are released on the basis of proven improprieties in their trials, Bush's proposals are frightening to me.

catocom

Larner said:
Everything this administration has done has been rife with small print, you'll discover when you start looking at their policies in depth.

but then that's held true for every previous administration too. :shrug:

catocom

Larner said:
Staph infection, eh? Not at all uncommon, you'll find.

Nope, but what does seem unusual is that his main family doc knew that he has
virtually no immune system.
It seems they would have taken better precautions. :confused:
Or the doc shouldn't have recommended it at all.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Madam, you make this so easy.

Clinton "ran from the country"? Hmmm--when someone earns a Rhodes Scholarship, that is "running from the country"? But when someone is jumped into the National Guard and fails to meet his minimum requirements, that's okay?

Is The National Guard an arm of a branch of some United States Military service or is it a college in England?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
markjs said:
Now that I have gone to all the trouble of a rebuttal, I'd like to know where the original quote came from?

Unlike your friends, I source virtually everything. Go back to post 1.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Larner said:
Clinton "ran from the country"? Hmmm--when someone earns a Rhodes Scholarship, that is "running from the country"? But when someone is jumped into the National Guard and fails to meet his minimum requirements, that's okay?

Funny double standard you have there.

And how is that a double standard when I agreed with your sentiment about being in the National Guard? Please read my post more carefully. As for 'running from the country', I stand by that statement. Everybody, at the time, was at risk for being drafted, and he decided that he'd leave with his 'Rhodes Scholarship' rather than do something most of the poor, or disenfranchised, were forced to do. I call that running, and I'd say that about anybody who chose that path.

Larner said:
I smoked one time in my life--age three, when Big Bro made up a pipe of tobacco taken from spent cigarette butts.

Still doesn't answer the question I posed.

Larner said:
I rarely drink, as alcohol just makes me sleepy.

I have used psychoactive medications ONLY when they were given to me or prescribed by physicians, and then usually stopped using them before I needed to because I couldn't stand how they altered my perceptions or fouled up my dreams.

But I can see that Bush's policies are counterproductive as well as hypocritical.

So...sticking to my example, if you had a lit cigarette in your hand, and told your children not to smoke, does that make you a hypocrite? Dodging the question doesn't answer the example. You, as a teacher, should know better than to side-step in such an obvous manner. ;)

Larner said:
Strengthening penalties for drug usage only makes more criminals out of people who are primarily hurting themselves and their families. Treatment may help them--sending them to prison won't--just makes them more likely to become career criminals.

And if he didn't strengthen those laws, he'd be trumpeted as condoning drug use because of his past. :nono: I see your point, but do you see mine?

Larner

Oh, I see yours, but it doesn't completely fit, does it?

Big Bro told his kids not to use drugs, but admitted he'd used them. He tried using how his drug use caused major problems in his life as justification for not using them, but Neph still saw it as hypocrisy, even as Big Bro showed he wasn't doing them any more because of the negative effects.

I know that in talking with the Kid and his sister, using examples of what happened to me and my friends when we broke the taboos also failed to impress--especially with Sis, who saw it only as an attempt to forestall her having fun. Or she told me I was being hypocritical when I admitted I'd done something stupid. I think she really thought that I was only making most of it up. As for the Kid--you'll have to ask him.

Talking to teenagers intent on living on emotions instead of rationally I found to be an exercise in futility--am so glad they are grown up now--they're wonderful to have as friends, but wasn't sure any of us would survive their adolescent period.

Larner

My favorite comment ever made by one of the kids?

"You know what I hate about you? You make me think, and I don't want to."

That day I just about died laughing. All I could respond was, "But that's what I'm SUPPOSED to do!"

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Larner said:
Oh, I see yours, but it doesn't completely fit, does it?

Actually, it fits perfectly. By definition, it's hypocrisy, but in practice, it's not. Of course, young adults are going to do as they please, but, if the parents do their job, then they won't make too many bad choices..such as smoking/drinking/drugs, etc. By denying the credibility of my point, haven't you just denied the credibility of every true parent on the planet? The ones who try to teach their children not to make the same mistakes they may have?

Larner

I just wish our kids had listened more when they were teens.

Sounds like you and I actually are in agreement, Gato, and that we both tried as hard as we could at the time to do what was right in instructing our kids. But we found that peer pressure was a stronger influence with the kids than we were for a few years.

Any comments you want to make from your perspective, Sport? I mean, you were on the receiving end of our attempts to make you civilized, as we were on the receiving end of your choices. Of course, if you want to comment on our interactions with Sis, I'll understand, as she's not on this list to defend herself. LOL

markjs

Banned
No amount of parenting would have averted my drug use. I think I was Bipolar all along and I was self medicating. The only thing I can think that might have helped is early diagnosis and the lithium I take now.

Winky

The Liberals’ excuses!!!!!!!

So you deal with Crack baby's and yer Kid who has a bio-chemical brain disorder. What does this have to do with parenting normal human offspring? Contrary to popular media belief most Kid's aren't crazy or have the excuse of coming from "disadvantaged" backgrounds. I think all this crap is merely a way for parents to continue to 'feel good' by blaming something outside themselves for their lousy parenting skills.

My one and only Son is fine and my Wife and I played a major role in making him that way. Parents who tell their Kids don’t do this and don’t do that are ignoring reality.
Part of your job as a parent is to guide and teach your kids how to deal with life not say no to it.

chcr

Too cute for words
Re: The Liberals’ excuses!!!!!!!

I think all this crap is merely a way for parents to continue to 'feel good' by blaming something outside themselves for their lousy parenting skills.
We agree on this 100%. The way I like to put it is we need more parents and fewer gamete donors. Parenting is a skill and the simple ability to make a baby in no way makes you one.

Winky

The Liberals’ excuses!!!!!!!

Yes Chcr, hence the original topic of this thread.

By no means can I say 100% of the time that quote unquote Conservatives accept personal responsibility 100% of the time. But I personally believe that Liberals as a group adhere to a philosophy of blaming others for their situation.

This if for no other reason makes close friendships between people who have diametrically opposed personal value systems unlikely.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Re: The Liberals’ excuses!!!!!!!

chcr said:
We agree on this 100%. The way I like to put it is we need more parents and fewer gamete donors. Parenting is a skill and the simple ability to make a baby in no way makes you one.

3 for 3...this is scary