The most expensive in US history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where have you been for the last 8 years?

McCain is a (D). His official affiliation be damned.

Oh but as we have all seen, (those who don't refuse to) on the (R) side, the pres is often a figurehead and the VP the puppet master. McCain's views suddenly mysteriously changed since 2000 when he ran last year, and when Palin was selected for his running mate. Sarah Palin is an (R+++) in fact I see her as one of the most potentially dangerous lunatics who actually has a prayer of election in the history of the world.

I'm an independent, although admittedly I more often lean Democratic, but there have been some Republicans I've admired, but I suppose you would see them all as liberals. (i.e. Ron Paul, Giuliani, a former governor and senator from my state Dan Evans). These guys have the ability to get sides to work together, and look beyond party lines. McCain was a dupe nothing more. The republicans didn't have anything they could agree on but for a prehistoric relic like McCain and using him to make America swallow Plain. Thank God nobody fell for it!

It's funny, a guy like Paul who actually does think for himself and doesn't let the party pull his strings, well he has no chance....EVER!

Frank Probity

so i guess it is suddenly unreasonable to take the man at his word.

A hypocritical comment from someone arguing in favor of the Bush Administration.

i have nothing against the man. his ideas are a different matter entirely. if he does 5% of what he wants theres going to be a lot of buyer remorse. itll be too late though, we are stuck for a term

And pray tell, what is it exactly that Obama has promised that you so fear?

personally, i am anxious for it to get underway. i cannot wait to see tom brokaw and katie couric and you and spikie and all the rest backpedal like your sliding down a glacier.
fortunately for all of us, the office is not as powerful as you boosh haters made it out to be.

Hoping Obama will fail so you can watch Obama supporters slide down a glacier appears to be a greater concern than placing hope the president-elect will solve the numerous problems he has inherited from the GWBush administration. Almost makes me wonder if you really have the best interest of America at heart. And, "yes", of course the office of president was powerful for the first six years as President Bush had complete control with a majority republican house and compliant administration that filled the world with bullscat.

someof us knew all along that boosh was not to blame for hurricanes

No, but he was responsible for failing to take immediate action and Bush does deserve, not all, but some of the blame since a portion must also be placed at the feet of the Governor of LA and Mayor of NOLA.

and oil prices and everything else the slimeballs tried to pin on him. but he got it anyway because of the uneducated masses.

So now we are "slimeballs"?
The level of education displayed makes it easier to understand who really are the un or under educated. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see through the facade of unverified intelligence, mismanagement of two invasions and the "in your face" manipulation of gullible supporters of these actions by the GWBush Administration.

now those masses will expect barack to come through with the solution to EVERYTHING. because he said he would. and those same masses will be upset when he doesnt fill their hands with freebies.

And you know this how? Exactly what "freebies" are you talking about here that you so fear?

when jobs dont fall out of the sky into their waiting hands. when milk and honey doesnt flow freely. yea i can hardly wait

And how is this different than Bush43 handing over 700 billion $ to banks with no accountability? Seems like the proposal so far is pretty much what Bush 43 had in mind and was more than wiling to back Obama on. Of course, unlike the GWBush bailout, the Obama plan money will be accounted for.

so quit your whining. we have every right to hold him to what he says. you got to crow for awhile about boosh. now shut up and take your turn in the barrel. its for the good of the country

And yes, I truly do believe it is good for the country and apparently the 73% of the population who today support Obama feel it is as well. When it comes to an admonition from anyone suggesting to quit whining, it might be a good idea to consider their own advice. The last eight years under the tutelage of GWBush and his administration have not represented integrity, honor or trust and then along came the "uneducated masses", the "slimeballs", to stand up and be counted, who had the audacity of hope, to see these standards restored to the highest political office and most powerful nation in the world.

MrBishop

Shame he flubbed the oath of office... the speech was pretty good. Not a plethora of applause, btu it was a serious speech and not a rah-rah speech.

Frank Probity

Shame he flubbed the oath of office... the speech was pretty good. Not a plethora of applause, btu it was a serious speech and not a rah-rah speech.

Obama did not flub the oath of office. He stopped to permit Chief Justice Roberts to recite the Presidential oath in the proper sequence.

I suppose a conspiracy theorist might suggest since it was mentioned on ABC neither Biden nor Obama voted to approve Roberts as Chief Justice, perhaps it was intentional on the part of the Chief Justice. :)

Inkara1

I'm guessing you would say Cheney was pulling Bush's strings... which other GOP presidents have really been empty suits while the VP did the real dirty work?

How about Reagan? I don't expect you to believe it, but the thing is he was not just a figurehead, he had some pull, but he was an actor, the "personality and charisma" man who helped get Bush Sr. gain office. That's what the party does. When they want someone who is un-electable, un-palatable to the American public, they throw someone more palatable in front of him/her. It doesn't make everything republicans have ever done bad, and it doesn't mean that as president that Reagan and Dubya did not have the full powers of the office, but they did follow the VP's agenda a lot more closely than one would expect.

I mean come on, Reagan was in the early stages of scenility in his second term.

MrBishop

Obama did not flub the oath of office. He stopped to permit Chief Justice Roberts to recite the Presidential oath in the proper sequence.

I suppose a conspiracy theorist might suggest since it was mentioned on ABC neither Biden nor Obama voted to approve Roberts as Chief Justice, perhaps it was intentional on the part of the Chief Justice. :)
:shrug: I don't know the oath by heart. It looked like O flubbed it from here.

Conspiracy theorists make me laugh. :D

H2O boy

the 73% of the population who today support Obama

id like to place my next years salary on that figure plummetting faster than rosie odonell in a wave pool

wait, i better clarify

salary. its what you get when you work for a living. it differs from government handout checks in that one must actually be productive to get it

there. that help any? new concept for libs i know. just trying to be helpful. your welcome

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
How about Reagan? I don't expect you to believe it, but the thing is he was not just a figurehead, he had some pull, but he was an actor, the "personality and charisma" man who helped get Bush Sr. gain office.

:rofl4:

Reagan was 10 times the man that Bush was & was a true conservative. The Bush's are good Republicans but none of them (dunno about Jeb) can be called conservative.

Bish -
:--"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Cerise

No We Can't: Thousands Shut Out From Inauguration

WASHINGTON (CBS) ―

People came from all over the country to see the inauguration in person. For thousands with tickets in hands, they never thought they wouldn't get to experience the chance of a lifetime. But things didn't go as planned. Elbow to elbow, anticipating one of the most exciting days of their lives, they came face-to-face with a fence.

"We got our tickets, we paid our money, we brought our money to the economy and we couldn't get in," said an angry spectator, holding up his ticket to show where he should be.

"All this for nothing. They give us ticket, we're all here to support the new president and then they turn you away," said another upset visitor.

Cerise

Feel the luv!

capt.ad3e27d8163447e68c72b84770d23815.mideast_iran_obama_us_inauguration_global_reax_vah102.jpg

"Pro-Gazan Iranian demonstrators carrying a British flag, burn a photo of US President-elect Barack Obama, during an anti-Israeli, anti-US and anti-British protest in front of the former US Embassy in Tehran, Iran, Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2009."

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It was a lovely sendoff to the Bush family. Thousands of scumbags, standing outside, singing the Steam song Goodbye. Talk about classless.

Cerise

Dems - the Party of Jackasses. There is nothing evil loves more than celebrating itself.

ri1.jpg

Trash is now running this country.

Those losers should have been on their knees thanking the man for keeping their ungrateful asses safe all these years.

Never forget, never forgive. :shrug:

jimpeel

Can we add this to the cost of the inauguration?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aOYw.awwsNSg&refer=worldwide

U.S. Stocks Slide in Dow Average’s Worst Inauguration Day Drop

By Elizabeth Stanton

Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks sank, sending the Dow Jones Industrial Average to its worst Inauguration Day decline, as speculation banks must raise more capital sent financial shares to an almost 14-year low.

State Street Corp., the largest money manager for institutions, tumbled 59 percent after unrealized bond losses almost doubled. Wells Fargo & Co. and Bank of America Corp. slumped more than 23 percent on an analyst’s prediction that they’ll need to take steps to shore up their balance sheets. The Dow’s 4 percent slide was the most on an Inauguration Day in the measure’s 112-year history, according to data compiled by Bloomberg and the Stock Trader’s Almanac.

“All the banks are going to have to recapitalize,” said Greg Woodard, portfolio strategist at Manning & Napier Advisors Inc., which manages $16 billion in Fairport, New York. “That’s not done. That’s in front of them, and we don’t want to try to get in front of that trade.”

The S&P 500 plunged 5.3 percent to 805.22. The S&P 500 Financials Index fell 17 percent to below its lowest closing level since March 1995 as concern European banks need more capital also weighed on the group. The Dow average slid 332.13 points to 7,949.09. Both the Dow and S&P 500 retreated to two- month lows.

The S&P 500 is off to its worst start to a year, shattering the biggest rally since World War II, as analysts cut earnings estimates by a record 83 percentage points and companies signal worse to come.

The S&P 500 is down 11 percent in the first 12 trading days of 2009, exceeding last year’s 9.2 percent drop, according to data compiled by Bloomberg going back to 1928. The decline helped erase more than two-thirds of a 24 percent rally since Nov. 20 as optimism that government spending would revive the economy evaporated.

‘Effectively Insolvent’

U.S. financial losses from the credit crisis may reach $3.6 trillion, according to New York University Professor Nouriel Roubini, who predicted last year’s economic and stock-market meltdowns.

“If that’s true, it means the U.S. banking system is effectively insolvent because it starts with a capital of $1.4 trillion,” Roubini said at a conference in Dubai today. “This is a systemic banking crisis.”

Europe’s Dow Jones Stoxx 600 Index retreated 2.1 percent today, led by banks and technology companies. It fell almost 2 percent yesterday after Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc forecast the biggest-ever loss by a U.K. company. The MSCI Asia Pacific Index retreated 2.1 percent today.

Status
Not open for further replies.