The One Book to... RULE THEM ALL

BeardofPants

*cough* Sorry 'bout that.

So, one book. One book to flog off on friends. One book to recommend. What would it be?

Dune - Frank Herbert. Have you read Dune lately? Have you accepted Dune into your life? Do these pants make my butt look big?

HomeLAN

Nope. Can't do it. I can name some for most entertaining, most informative, the one I keep reading over and over, but there simply isn't a "best".

chcr

Too cute for words
ekahs retsam said:
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Good one, but I'm with HomeLAN:

HomeLAN said:
Nope. Can't do it. I can name some for most entertaining, most informative, the one I keep reading over and over, but there simply isn't a "best".
There are a few that jump to mind, some of them aren't books but series:
The Foundation Trilogy -- Isaac Asimov
The Belgariad -- David Eddings
The Uplift Novels -- David Brin
The Lensman Series -- E.E. Smith
*starting to sense a pattern here*
Watership Down -- Richard Adams

I could go on and on. Anything at all by Heinlein or Niven (or Asimov for that matter). I'll quit now.

Professur

Leslie said:
It's a bit of a snore to take to bed and read though.

Best time, IMHO. If you're looking to only read a bit, you can read as little as a couple of lines. Not like you have to finish a 40 page chapter.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
The same one I've recommended on here many times before.

The South Was Right! by Ronald and Donald Kennedy. You'll learn something no matter which page you choose to read.

BeardofPants

Hey, I really enjoy series as well (cf Dune).
If you absolutely can't keep it to one (sissies) then at least post up *some* that you tend to flog out.
*BoP is interested in seeing what the residents read

As far as series go... Tad Williams Otherland series. Ooh, and Asimov's original foundation trilogy.

HomeLAN

chcr said:
Good one, but I'm with HomeLAN:

There are a few that jump to mind, some of them aren't books but series:

The Belgariad -- David Eddings

Watership Down -- Richard Adams

I could go on and on. Anything at all by Heinlein or Niven (or Asimov for that matter). I'll quit now.

In addition, some of Clancy's work, most especially Red Storm Rising, TOLKIEN (can't believe he hasn't been mentioned), the rest of Eddings' stuff, and I'm sure I'll think of more.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
For King, I recommend Bag of Bones, especially if it's someone who doesn't think they like his stuff.

Otherwise, yeah. The Stand is penultimate.