The One Book to... RULE THEM ALL

BeardofPants

HomeLAN said:
In addition, some of Clancy's work, most especially Red Storm Rising, TOLKIEN (can't believe he hasn't been mentioned), the rest of Eddings' stuff, and I'm sure I'll think of more.
I woulda mentioned tolkien but I was tryin' to stick with the one book TO RULE THEM ALL. ;)
Tolkien's Silmarillion rocks. :swing:

BeardofPants

Professur said:
That's sitting on my shelf. No idea where it came from.
Ditto. I suspect it was a gramma xmas present. Seems like it would a gramma xmas present.
*still wondering what to do with the kitty paperweight :hmm:

Professur

BeardofPants said:
Ditto. I suspect it was a gramma xmas present. Seems like it would a gramma xmas present.
*still wondering what to do with the kitty paperweight :hmm:

I kinda worried it might have been the Andy Capp's and DragonLance books breeding.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Gonz said:
The Stand was practice for The Dark Tower

Maybe. I like what I read of Dark Tower (damn fire) but it took me three tries to get through the first book. It just didn't take with me as well or as quickly as The Stand did. I've read up through half of book five of Dark Tower, and it is very good. Just not as much to my liking as some of his other stuff.

HomeLAN

Slim Pickens said:
My personal fav is W.E.B. Griffin-less technical, but more military minded than Clancy

Good stuff there, too! Have you read the "Badge of Honor" series? Bit of a departure, as it's the Philadlephia police force and not a branch of the military, but prime stuff.

I just happen to like the technical as well - thus my fondness for Clancy.

Slim Pickens

My 2 favs-I have all of the Jack Ryan books, and "Red Storm Rising"...Yes, I have all of the "Badge" books except the last one...have all of the "Brotherhood of War", all of "The Corps", all of the "Honor Bound", and all of the "Men at War"

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I am a dark tower fanatic!!!

I have read all the books related to it, except the last 2 of the dark tower series, cause I can't find the second to last anywhere.

by ALL the books I mean these ones too.

Bag Of Bones - is Mike noonan going "todash" when he visits the Fryeburg Fair? Also the number 19 is used in the clues given to Mike

Black House - Roland, the Speaking Demon, the Monorail, the Crimson King, the Tower, the Beam, Ka

Everything's Eventual; Everything's Eventual - Skipper Brannigan

Everything's Eventual; Little Sisters Of Eluria - completely immersed in the series

Hearts In Atlantis; Low Men In Yellow Coats - Breakers, the Low Men, Roland, the Crimson King, the Dark Tower, Ka, Ka-tet, the Beam, lost pet posters

Insomnia - Roland, The Crimson King, the Tower, Ka, Ka-tet, young Patrick's picture of a tower among a field of red roses

It - the Turtle (See the turtle of enormous girth, on it's back...)

Rose Madder - "ka like a wheel", the City of Lud is mentioned, Rose's face is compared to "a rare flower in a weedy vacant lot"

'Salem's Lot - Pere Callahan

The Eyes Of The Dragon - in The Drawing Of The Three it is written of Roland seeing Dennis and Thomas chasing after Flagg

The Plant - Ginelli (is he the same one that Eddie knows?)

The Stand - Flagg, the Superflu (Captain Trips is mentioned in the fourth book)

The Talisman - (DT3) Calvin Tower calls Jake a wanderer and says that he is lighting out for the "territories"

Thinner - Ginelli (is he the same one that Eddie knows?)

The Regulators - according to the flap for Regulators, his wife was called Claudia y Inez Bachman. In Wolves Of The Calla, when Eddie and Jake go todash to New York, they see this New york's version of Charlie the Choo Choo is written by one Claudia y Inez Bachman...

Dave

aside from The Stand, King's short stories are very good too.
i'm a big fan of Nelson DeMille myself. he wrote "Gold Coast", "The General's Daughter" and "Charm School" among others.
my other favorite, if you like PI stories, is Robert Parker's Spencer series. the TV show "Spencer:For Hire" with Robert Urich was based on that character. 'course that could be cause the stories were set in Boston.