The One Book to... RULE THEM ALL

HomeLAN

Professur said:
Just don't give him the Belgarath and Polgara books. They totally ruined it for me.

Oh, I'll agree with that. The rest, however, are excellent - never mind the fact that our kiwi perfectionist seems to disagree.

BeardofPants

Sure, sure, what's not to like : one-dimensional characters, predictable storylines, a boy with a special sword... Meh. :tardbang: ;)

HomeLAN

Substitute Hobbit for boy and ring for sword, and I've heard folks voice the same opinion of the trilogy.

Professur

Spoiler Eddings admitted he pretty much plagerized the Belgariad from the Lord of the Rings. Sparhawk was his attempt to redeem himself. But pretty much all he did was further condense the same character traits into fewer characters.

BeardofPants

I'm not sure, but I think it's better than Robert Jordan's WoT (IOW, I can't decide which series bugs me more). Both have a similar degree of 'lack-of-development', and daft, annoying, naive young male characters as their leads.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I always though his books were a rip-off of the Terry Brooks fiascos "Sword of Shannara" Trilogy, which was a complete rip-off of the Lord of the Rings trilogy (The Hobbit doesn't count because it's just a refamiliarization of Middle Earth...)