The Truth About Evolution: Somebody's Making A Monkey Out of You

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
So then you think the intervening years between creation and Abraham are misrepresented in the bible?

link

I've read it numerous times and I always get the same conclusions. Approximately 4000 years from Adam to Jesus and approximately two thousand since. Do you think then that the geneology is incorrect? That they (or he if you prefer) left out several thousand generations? Please, the timeline and geneology of the old testament is carefully and reasonably completely recorded. Not that I'm in any way trying to influence what you believe, just giving you my point of view. A lot of people want it both ways. You are far from alone. I just don't buy it. :shrug:

Nope. I think they are misinterpreted in the bible. You want to cling to this as undeniable that the bible is wrong, then go ahead. I don't, and I never have. It has nothing to do with 'wanting it both ways', as this author likes to say, but more along the lines of nobody knows how long Adam was in the garden before Eve was created, and nobody knows how long they were together before the fall from grace. If you wish to believe this lame attempt to justify fanaticism, then, by all means, go ahead. I choose not to, and, until you get around the fact that a leading fanatic wrote that paper to justify his belief, I will continue to ridicule that statement. :p

BTW...Not all religious people believe the way those people believe. The way you're lumping us all together makes me think you've become jaded.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
BTW...Not all religious people believe the way those people believe. The way you're lumping us all together makes me think you've become jaded.

Guilty as charged, I'm afraid. ;)

I understand that not all people believe as those people believe. My point is that if you think the bible is the literal word of god (as obviously you do not) then you must believe what they believe. If god wrote the bible then who misinterpreted it? :shrug:

My point of view is (and pretty much has been since I was old enough to understand what was being said) that predating the bible there are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of apocryphal tales of creation and the mighty deeds of gods and men (in fact, many biblical stories are thinly veiled plagiarism IMO). Look, here's another one except that this one's true. Well, I don't find it any more likely than any other myth.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you think Adam was in the Garden before the creation of Eve?

freako104

chcr said:
Guilty as charged, I'm afraid. ;)

I understand that not all people believe as those people believe. My point is that if you think the bible is the literal word of god (as obviously you do not) then you must believe what they believe. If god wrote the bible then who misinterpreted it? :shrug:

My point of view is (and pretty much has been since I was old enough to understand what was being said) that predating the bible there are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of apocryphal tales of creation and the mighty deeds of gods and men (in fact, many biblical stories are thinly veiled plagiarism IMO). Look, here's another one except that this one's true. Well, I don't find it any more likely than any other myth.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you think Adam was in the Garden before the creation of Eve?

I think Man misinterperted it if that was the case. However as I have said before I think it stems from old myths and legends

Gato_Solo

chcr said:

It could've been one day, it could've been 1,000,000,000 years.
Beats me. I wasn't there. I just have a problem with people who say they know what God says, and know what God does. If you have to justify your faith, then you don't have any to begin with. ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
It could've been one day, it could've been 1,000,000,000 years.
Beats me. I wasn't there. I just have a problem with people who say they know what God says, and know what God does. If you have to justify your faith, then you don't have any to begin with. ;)

We agree on that one, anyway.

Note that I can't and I don't. Astute observation about faith though.

chcr

Too cute for words
You ever read Terry Pratchett? The world is flat (Rincewind fell off the edge).

Seriously, you can believe what you want. I take exception at presenting it as a viable scientific theory when the corroborating evidence all works backward from a single source. If you want to believe that that's a "belief," that's your business.

Gato_Solo

chcr said:

Seriously, you can believe what you want. I take exception at presenting it as a viable scientific theory when the corroborating evidence all works backward from a single source. If you want to believe that that's a "belief," that's your business.

Fits the definition quite nicely. ;)

Lopan

Bob, Philadelphia: "The scariest aspect of 'intelligent design' is that it stifles research. Why would you continue to look for answers when the ultimate answer is always available? It's the easy way out."

This is what worries me about creationism, why bother looking for answers when one book has them all.

Theory of evolution is still a work in progress which is why it can be contested and updated.

chcr

Too cute for words
Lopan said:
This is what worries me about creationism, why bother looking for answers when one book has them all.

Theory of evolution is still a work in progress which is why it can be contested and updated.
You do understand that among the vast majority of earth and life scientists, the "theory" of evolution in no way involves whether or not we evolved, but rather how?

Sorry, but it's one of my pet peeves that people refer to the various theories of evolution as evidence of doubt (among those aforementioned scientists) that we evolved.

freako104

chcr said:

Its also on the backs of a turtle that is on back of an elephant ;)

Gato_Solo

chcr said:
Not in context, IMO.

You're the one who espouses evolution as the relevant answer to existence. In that context, it's a belief. ;) No matter how you slice it, that statement you made is still bologna. :D