This day in history.....

AlphaTroll

SouthernN'Proud said:
Immediately upon the completion of his ascent, Tabei was overheard to say the immortal words, "Damn, I can see my house from here..."

Call me a pedantic fuck, but didn't she say Tabei was the first woman to ascent Everest?? ;)

Mare

May 18th

1804: Napoleon Bonaparte is proclaimed emperor of France by the Senate and Tribunate.

1860: Abraham Lincoln, a former Illinois state legislator, receives the Republican presidential nomination at the Republican National Convention in Chicago.

1896: In Plessy v. Ferguson, the U.S. Supreme Court rules that racial segregation is legal as long as "separate but equal" facilities are provided for whites and blacks.

1910: Halley's Comet is seen from earth as it passes in front of the sun; it appears every 76 years.

1980: Mount Saint Helens volcano in Washington state erupts, causing an outbreak of fires, mudslides, and floods; 57 people die in the largest eruption in U.S. history.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Mare said:
May 18th

1860: Abraham Lincoln, a former Illinois state legislator, receives the Republican presidential nomination at the Republican National Convention in Chicago.

:crying4: And thus began the most prolific cover up in American history, still going strong to this day.

Now y'all KNEW I wasn't about to let this slip past me...