Universal Service

H2O boy

so we mandate that all the kiddies go for three months of training in how to stack sandbags and hand out bottled water.

your tax dollars in action.

he aint even taken the oath yet and already he has you people talked into emptying your pockets. because, in case it went over your head while it was buried in the sand, somebody has to pay for this training program. and we all know how cost efficient the government is in its activities.

suckers. you'll get what you deserve in a little over two months

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I think our Prime Minister might take exception to that.

*doesn't often get to be grouped into a 'you people'.

GrandCaravanSE

Way to not read the thread, Leslie!

I had thought we were talking about the community service for students thiing. We don't have this in Ontario. I wish we did though, and would quite like it, apparently solely because of my senior citizen-ness.

:rofl4:

spike

so we mandate that all the kiddies go for three months of training in how to stack sandbags and hand out bottled water.

your tax dollars in action.

he aint even taken the oath yet and already he has you people talked into emptying your pockets. because, in case it went over your head while it was buried in the sand, somebody has to pay for this training program. and we all know how cost efficient the government is in its activities.

suckers. you'll get what you deserve in a little over two months

You realize that you are going to be paying less taxes right?

spike

I'm going to be emptying my pockets less. Do you have some specific information about how you're going to be opening yours more?

spike

Well I suppose your quote was "already he has you people talked into emptying your pockets."

Which means you think "you people" are all in a high enough tax bracket to be paying higher taxes. Why do you think everyone you referred to as "you people" are in that high of a tax bracket?

Do you have some genius W2 access we should know about?

2minkey

bootlicker
youre right. i don't capitalize my words when i type. i must be some kind of astronomical dumbass.

perhaps rabbit, perhaps, but not due to the lack of capitalization.

but given that you are 15, it's hard to imagine you're making moolah hand over fist. though certainly there are other forms of hand over fist going on. i know there were when i was 15.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Call it what it is: Involuntary servitude.

I agree.

However, I'm not sure that service to ones country is ever a bad idea.

The biggest caveat is, much like military service (the draft), is it worthwhile to force people into an activity in which they actively do not want to participate?

Thelma, overheard speaking to Louise..."yea, I got pregnant 'cause I didn't want to go into the service".

It's a state of mind, for the country. In 1950, there were plenty of kids who didn't necessarilty want to go into the army. However, service was a tradition held in high honor. Then Bill Ayres came of age & it
's been shit ever since.

Inkara1

You realize that you are going to be paying less taxes right?

I'll believe it when I see it. The tax cut for the middle class that Clinton promised never came. But since we all know Obama and his policies so well, it's obvious to everyone he's so much more honest about tax cuts than Bill Clinton.

Cerise

"We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded." (emphasis added) "People of all ages, stations, and skills will be asked to serve."

"Voters haven't paid much attention to his "Service" plan because the old news media has ignored it. That will likely continue, even though Obama attached an approximate price tag to it in Colorado Springs. When Obama said that the "civilian national security force" would be just as "well-funded" as the Armed Forces, he stepped squarely into the giant sandbox and played with the big numbers. As the late Carl Sagan said, "billions and billions" of dollars. Here's how."

The biggest caveat is, much like military service (the draft), is it worthwhile to force people into an activity in which they actively do not want to participate?

Problem solved:

Compulsory civilian national service for those who expect to collect Fearless Leader's welfare checks.

spike

Like the checks the military collects? Why don't you support the troops?

Why do you hate America? If you're going to complain move somewhereelse.

Cerise

Psst. Hey, You People.

.......because, in case it went over your head while it was buried in the sand, somebody has to pay for this training program.

"The FY 2008 Department of Defense (DoD) budget is about $482 billion. Obama has announced his intentions to cut "tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending," including $9 billion per month spent in Iraq and expenditures for the missile defense system, while increasing the force size of the Army and Marine Corps.

Let's imagine "tens of billions" in cuts eventually adds up to a whopping $150 billion. That would be a near one-third cut in defense spending, taking the DoD budget down to $332 billion. Even in such an extreme case of DoD budget reduction, for his "civilian national security force" to be "just as well-funded" would mean funding his community service initiatives at an equivalent $332 billion.

Consequently, another $332 billion in addition to the Pentagon's reduced budget of $332 billion equals a net increase of $182 billion in the annual federal budget, assuming we sponge-up the already existing expenditures for the relatively meager, by comparison, existing service programs he plans to expand. That's $182,000,000,000 in new federal monies, and that means higher taxes."

spike

American Thinker? What an ironic name for that site.

Maybe they should think about this...

There's no plan in place for universal compulsory service. Rahm Emmanuel likes the idea so he wrote a book about it.

All this other crap is pure speculation. American thinker indeed. :rolleyes:

Cerise, you ready to explain how it is you consider public service the same as welfare?

Cerise

Like the checks the military collects?

By "military" do you mean the individual service men and women?

In that case are you saying volunteering yourself for armed service to your country, while realizing very well that you could be injured or killed, is exactly like receiving government funded welfare?

:rolleyes: