US 'could be going bankrupt'

Winky

yeah see that post from Gothoholic?
nope I don't cuz he's on my ignore list
and Prof's elucidation regarding Spike's
post has made it so I don't have to see
Spikes posts anymore, whew Thank Gawd

Yep make two parent families illegal unless
of course they are homosexual then give them a tax break!

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
Good and bad, right and wrong are philosophical concepts. People don't "know" them, they are taught them and they change over time. People hit the brakes or lie to their wives out of fear of the consequences, plain and simple, no matter how they might rationalize them to themselves and others. I don't cheat on my wife because I told her I wouldn't. Not because it's right or wrong or good or bad but simply because my integrity is more important to me than getting some strange. Everyone wants to introduce right and wrong into the equation. There is no such thing, only what you think is right and wrong. A great many with varyiong opinions on the same would really like to tell you and I what is right and wrong. I live my life the way I want to, you do the same. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, I don't care what anyone else thinks is right or wrong. I could also give a damn whether anyone at all approves or agrees. I'm at least as sure that I'm right as anyone else, maybe more so.

Oh, BTW, the ten rules you refer to come specifically from the old testament, what they were plagarized from was more than ten.

1. They change because somebody wants something without thinking of anything beyond themselves.
2. You just contradicted yourself. Integrity is the basis for right and wrong.
3. That's almost a lie. You are not amoral, therefore you have some care as to what society in general see you as being.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
1. They change because somebody wants something without thinking of anything beyond themselves.
2. You just contradicted yourself. Integrity is the basis for right and wrong.
3. That's almost a lie. You are not amoral, therefore you have some care as to what society in general see you as being.
1. Exactly. Almost no one anywhere ever thinks of anything other than themselves, first last and always. That includes me.

2. No, integrity is the basis of what I believe is right and wrong. You may believe (almost certainly do, in fact) that other things are right and wrong, but if you have integrity you'll stick to your guns about it no matter what anyone else thinks. That's what integrity is.

3. Really, I don't. I do have to live with myself though, and having been raised in this society a lot of my values probably parallel yours. I could not care less what you (nothing personal) or anyone else (that I'm not married to anyway) think about what I do or what I believe. It's no one's business but my own.

Altron

Gotholic is actually making some sense. Nothing long or elaborate, but he's pretty much agreeing with us.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Leslie said:
The world fell apart when we moved from villages and public shame ceased.
:eek2:

Watch it, you're in my territory now :D

Although, we had big cities & public humiliation coexist for a very long time.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
spike said:
Does that result in a two parent family?

There are 3 reasons to divorce. Abuse, Adultery & Addiction. Part of that seperation is making it clear to the children that consequences are a result of action. You beat you wife, you have no family. You prefer the bottle? Your kids are sad & gone and you're lonley. You screw around- you're black & blue, alone & lonely. Scarlet letters were not a bad thing.

Not to worry. There are plenty of other scumbags with no sense of ethics, honor or integrity to drink with, fuck & beat up. They just aren't near me & mine.

spike

Gonz said:
There are 3 reasons to divorce. Abuse, Adultery & Addiction. Part of that seperation is making it clear to the children that consequences are a result of action. You beat you wife, you have no family. You prefer the bottle? Your kids are sad & gone and you're lonley. You screw around- you're black & blue, alone & lonely. Scarlet letters were not a bad thing.

Not to worry. There are plenty of other scumbags with no sense of ethics, honor or integrity to drink with, fuck & beat up. They just aren't near me & mine.

There's one reason for divorce actually. One or both of the people involved have decided that they are unhappy with the relationship, have done what they can to fix it (I do consider this part important), and it's time to go.

Personally, I consider marraige unnecessary in the first place. You can make the same commitment with out the piece of paper. Many people are don't feel comfortable without the piece of paper so I have nothing against it though.

Professur

spike said:
Personally, I consider marraige unnecessary in the first place. You can make the same commitment with out the piece of paper. Many people are don't feel comfortable without the piece of paper so I have nothing against it though.

Half true. If you've made a true commitment ... the paper not really necessary. It's a public certification of that commitment. But if a bit of paper makes you uncomfortable ... how realistic is the commitment?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
spike said:
There's one reason for divorce actually. One or both of the people involved have decided that they are unhappy with the relationship, have done what they can to fix it (I do consider this part important), and it's time to go.

Since we live in a world of instant gratification, marriages are made too quickly & ended too quickly. Working on it could & should take years, not weeks. In the ebb & flow of emotions, there will be long periods of unhappiness followed by long periods of happiness. One needs to create happiness where none may exist. It's a mindset. Its also the very essence of finding out if ones word is solid or vaporous. Til Death Do Us Part is a serious commitment, one not to be entered into on a whim of surging sexual desire & emotional hormone highs but by thought & dilligence. Instant gratification is pointless in the grand scheme.

spike

Professur said:
Half true. If you've made a true commitment ... the paper not really necessary. It's a public certification of that commitment. But if a bit of paper makes you uncomfortable ... how realistic is the commitment?

It's not that the bit of paper would cause discomfort, just that it's unnecessary (and often expensive). I personally don't feel the need to have public certification, the paper, a bunch of witnesses, or rings for a committment. An arguement could actually be made that if you do need all those things the trust level might be a little low for starters.

spike

Gonz said:
Since we live in a world of instant gratification, marriages are made too quickly & ended too quickly. Working on it could & should take years, not weeks. In the ebb & flow of emotions, there will be long periods of unhappiness followed by long periods of happiness. One needs to create happiness where none may exist. It's a mindset. Its also the very essence of finding out if ones word is solid or vaporous. Til Death Do Us Part is a serious commitment, one not to be entered into on a whim of surging sexual desire & emotional hormone highs but by thought & dilligence. Instant gratification is pointless in the grand scheme.

I don't really disagree with any of that but there are many situations where one person is working on it and the other is not.

A lot of times people just get married and start having kids too young. Fully believing they will want to be with that person forever. Then they get a few years older and realize they made a big mistake.

If everyone waited until after they were 25 it might be different but that isn't going to happen.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
So, after all that time....why not make it legal? Hell, the homos are having a hissy because they can't.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If it's only a little piece of paper, what harm can come from it? It's changes legal stuff in your favor, worldwide.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
BeardofPants said:
If it's only a little piece of paper, then what harm can come from NOT getting it?

Legal rights are not yours without other specific considerations.

I know you have no need for the little piece of paper. I'm just curious, what would it hurt to legally strengthen your position?