US 'could be going bankrupt'

Professur

spike said:
Oh, you said you could enforce two parent families and you could keep people from having kids who had spouses would start cheating, become abusive, or run off years.

I sounds like you only meant "encourage".

No, I meant encourage/enforce just like I said. But I didn't mean gov't enforcement. I mean you cheat on my sister, and you'd better be running before the rest of the family finds out. I mean bring up your kids so that they don't think that cheating, lying, stealing is OK. I mean for Joe Q. Public to get off his fat, lazy ass and make it clear to his neighbours that that kind of behavior isn't acceptable.

There's more enforcement than you think ..... if you stop to think about it.

I've heard of three cases where a judge has sentenced a criminal to wear a sandwich board declaring his crime and walk the main road of the town where he committed the crime. Two of them were over turned as cruel and unusual punishment. 6 months in the slammer showering with Bubba is OK, but wearing a sandwich board and being publicly humiated and shunned is cruel and unusual. Think about what that says about the power of Joe Q. Public's public opinion.

spike

Professur said:
No, I meant encourage/enforce just like I said. But I didn't mean gov't enforcement. I mean you cheat on my sister, and you'd better be running before the rest of the family finds out. I mean bring up your kids so that they don't think that cheating, lying, stealing is OK. I mean for Joe Q. Public to get off his fat, lazy ass and make it clear to his neighbours that that kind of behavior isn't acceptable.

So I cheat on your sister, the rest of the family finds out, and then what? They force us to stay together?

Professur

spike said:
So I cheat on your sister, the rest of the family finds out, and then what? They force us to stay together?

Man, you're really determined to cheat on someone, aren't you? You don't see that outlook on the world as a problem? When someone asks what the punishment for a crime is, I gotta ask : You know it's wrong. What difference does the punishment make?

The mentality you show right there, IMO, is the single biggest problem facing anyone, anywhere today. You're not even interested in good/bad. Just in "I want" and "What will it cost to get what I want".

I see the same people every day on the highway. They're the ones slamming on the brakes when they think they see a cop ahead.

All different things ... yet they all start at the same place, don't they?

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
Man, you're really determined to cheat on someone, aren't you? You don't see that outlook on the world as a problem? When someone asks what the punishment for a crime is, I gotta ask : You know it's wrong. What difference does the punishment make?

The mentality you show right there, IMO, is the single biggest problem facing anyone, anywhere today. You're not even interested in good/bad. Just in "I want" and "What will it cost to get what I want".

I see the same people every day on the highway. They're the ones slamming on the brakes when they think they see a cop ahead.

You react to this like you think it's new or something. People do what they want to (and that they can do) and rationalize it by whatever means necessary. They always have, they always will. Some things change, this will never be one of them.

Professur

New? Not at all Chic. I react to this like it's immoral, juvenile, and unacceptable. And I will continue to tilt this windmill until the sonofabitch falls. I'll teach my kids to tilt it. I'll encourage my neighbours to tilt it. It's called the Good fight. It doesn't matter wether I win or not. What matters is that it's fought.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
New? Not at all Chic. I react to this like it's immoral, juvenile, and unacceptable. And I will continue to tilt this windmill until the sonofabitch falls. I'll teach my kids to tilt it. I'll encourage my neighbours to tilt it. It's called the Good fight. It doesn't matter wether I win or not. What matters is that it's fought.
Your justification for doing what you want to do. Yours is of course right and anyone who doesn't agree is by definition wrong. I probably agree more than disagree with you about what's right and wrong but I can never get past that part with a straight face.

Professur

10 simple rules, chic. 10 simple rules that started long before anyone had ever heard of Moses. They pulled us out of the filth, and separated us from the animals. You don't need a belief in God to recognise that without them, we're nothing but animals.

But, like I said before. People hit the brakes when they see a cop. They don't need me, or anyone else to tell them good from bad. They don't need my version of good and bad either. They know the difference. They choose the bad. That is the point. And they use the excuse that "everyone else is doing it" as their justification. Well, not everyone.

I don't speed. I don't steal cable or satelite signal. I don't steal music or software. Not because I'm a religious nut. But because it's the right thing to do. I know it. You know it. And they know it. I'm not making this up. They damn well know it. That's why they lie to their wives. That's why they hit the brakes.

spike

Professur said:

You spoke of enforcement and I don't see any enforcement that's all. Your morality shouldn't really be forced on others anyway.

Yeah, ideally cheating, running off, parental death, getting tired of relationships, people being bad judges of character, and divorce shouldn't happen but they have for quite a long time and they will continue to happen.

Things might improve or get worse but it's not going to stop and it's not really enforcable.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
10 simple rules, chic. 10 simple rules that started long before anyone had ever heard of Moses. They pulled us out of the filth, and separated us from the animals. You don't need a belief in God to recognise that without them, we're nothing but animals.

But, like I said before. People hit the brakes when they see a cop. They don't need me, or anyone else to tell them good from bad. They don't need my version of good and bad either. They know the difference. They choose the bad. That is the point. And they use the excuse that "everyone else is doing it" as their justification. Well, not everyone.

I don't speed. I don't steal cable or satelite signal. I don't steal music or software. Not because I'm a religious nut. But because it's the right thing to do. I know it. You know it. And they know it. I'm not making this up. They damn well know it. That's why they lie to their wives. That's why they hit the brakes.

Good and bad, right and wrong are philosophical concepts. People don't "know" them, they are taught them and they change over time. People hit the brakes or lie to their wives out of fear of the consequences, plain and simple, no matter how they might rationalize them to themselves and others. I don't cheat on my wife because I told her I wouldn't. Not because it's right or wrong or good or bad but simply because my integrity is more important to me than getting some strange. Everyone wants to introduce right and wrong into the equation. There is no such thing, only what you think is right and wrong. A great many with varyiong opinions on the same would really like to tell you and I what is right and wrong. I live my life the way I want to, you do the same. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, I don't care what anyone else thinks is right or wrong. I could also give a damn whether anyone at all approves or agrees. I'm at least as sure that I'm right as anyone else, maybe more so.

Oh, BTW, the ten rules you refer to come specifically from the old testament, what they were plagarized from was more than ten.

spike

highwayman said:
It's the result of going around town pantless...

You misunderstood my comment. I wasn't asking what it was the "result of" but does it "result in" their continuing to be two parent family in that situation.

Gotholic

spike said:
Gotholic said:
Actually, getting rid of the no-fault divorce law would be one way to help make it possible.
You'd actually want to force people to stay married that hate each other?

Those kind of people should try and work out their problems and not just look to divorce as an easy remedy for their unstable relationship.

Divorce should not be illegal, but should be hard to obtain.