US 'could be going bankrupt'

chcr

Too cute for words
spike said:
Source? You know there's been no focus on Bin Laden since the Iraq war started. Bush is even quoted as saying something like " I don't care about it Bin Laden, it doesn't concern me". I can look it up you really need but I thought it should be obvious at this point.

Terrorism is a touchy feely emotion based cause. Heart disease and cancer are the leading killers of americans. And there certainly is such a thing as governement funded research. Addressing the biggest threats to american lives just makes a kind of sense right?
No, addressing the biggest perceived threat does. That's how you stay in power. The good of the populace or the country in general never enters into the equation. As I have said on numerous occasions there is absolutely no difference between republicans and democrats in this. They simply market their lies differently.

highwayman

spike said:
No these programs benefit some lazy scumbags, but also a lot of hard working taxpayers.

In my opinion we should go after the psyhopaths would were responsible for hijacking the planes, bin Laden and crew. That's not being done though.

Although I am confident that there are people that use unemployment as an extended vacation the real issues are in SSI and welfare.

It has been a few months since I looked at it but don't think it has changed, but a person can get a social security check every month for addictions, I can smoke a dooby and drink a six pack on a daily basis and claim a disablity.

Another issue is welfare. There are cases were generations have been abusing this program. The women stay pregnant and the "men" say they have 6 kids by 8 women..

In my opinion these programs are intended as a hand up not hand outs...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
highwayman said:
Although I am confident that there are people that use unemployment as an extended vacation the real issues are in SSI and welfare.

It has been a few months since I looked at it but don't think it has changed, but a person can get a social security check every month for addictions, I can smoke a dooby and drink a six pack on a daily basis and claim a disablity.

It's been longer than a few months since you looked at it. I worked in mental health in the late 90s, and for awhile my job was assessment for case management services. the laws changed regarding substance abuse diagnoses. They got kicked off en masse, though I am certain many slipped through the cracks. Anyway, I had to assess the incoming flood of alcoholics and pot smokers who were suddenly losing their SSI and amazingly enough developed Depression.

It took a dual diagnosis of substance abuse and a legitimate mental disorder, such as Bipolar or Schizophrenia or what have you to sustain the SSI. Needless to say, 99% of the ones I saw didn't have it, and I took great pains to make damn sure they got boote doff the dole.

Now, that doesn't mean that another doctor somewhere with a different agenda can't write 296.34 in the Axis I line, and thereby diagnose someone with Major Depression, Recurrent, Severe. That would qualify them for SSI most likely. I don't like it, but it happens.

Another issue is welfare. There are cases were generations have been abusing this program. The women stay pregnant and the "men" say they have 6 kids by 8 women..

In my opinion these programs are intended as a hand up not hand outs...

Total and complete agreement with you here.

catocom

Around Nov,05, I predicted a fairly deep recession in '06.
I still think we will have one/it.
I did think it would be more evident by/before now though, so I did
misjudge the power of the tax cuts, and people buying.
If gas prices don't come back down, I don't see how we can avoid one ATM.

I don't see the gov. going bankrupt though.

highwayman

SandP said:
It's been longer than a few months since you looked at it.

I stand corrected, it's been years...

catacom said:
I don't see the gov. going bankrupt though.

Neither do I, the leglislature may fumble a dead line and not have a budget in time but a total colapse is not possible on it's own and if it did happen the bankrupcy would take out the economy of at least 70% of the world...

Altron

SouthernN'Proud said:
Do you share his opinion about government's role in state matters...unless, of course, it's a Southern state? Then the rules are set aside?

Careful about alignments. They can cut both ways.

Can you please stop misinterpreting everything I say as anti-CSA? Half the time, I'm trying to agree with you, and you take it completely the wrong way in order to get in something about how I'm a northern bigot who hates the south.

If you'll read what I wrote, I agree with Jefferson's ideals and think that states should have more power than the federal government. Note how I didn't say "Northern states". I said "states", by which I mean the fifty seperate states that make up the US. Don't put words in my mouth.

Dave

SouthernN'Proud said:
It took a dual diagnosis of substance abuse and a legitimate mental disorder, such as Bipolar or Schizophrenia or what have you to sustain the SSI. Needless to say, 99% of the ones I saw didn't have it, and I took great pains to make damn sure they got boote doff the dole.

around these parts, all it takes is for someone to tell a mental health worker they are feeling suicidal and dont feel safe and they get their dual diagnosis.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
rrfield said:
Man, I really want to live in this simplistic world where the answer to every problem can be summed up in 100 words or less.

If you find our solutions so simple minded, why don't you supply some of your own or quit bothering to read what's written here? I'm up to reading a 10000 word thesis on why Iran isn't evil if you're willin gto not use Wikipedia & the NY Times as sources for fact.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
spike said:
Source? You know there's been no focus on Bin Laden since the Iraq war started.

So bin Laden is terrorism? The war is on terror, not men, or one man.

spike said:
Terrorism is a touchy feely emotion based cause.

One that purposely attacks the innocents, using higher brain funtions to creat intent to harm, maim & kill.

SnP said:
Do you share his opinion about government's role in state matters...unless, of course, it's a Southern state? Then the rules are set aside?

Article 1 Section 9 Paragraph 2

spike

Gonz said:
So bin Laden is terrorism? The war is on terror, not men, or one man.

One that purposely attacks the innocents, using higher brain funtions to creat intent to harm, maim & kill.

Bin Laden is the one responsible for the attacks on the US. You'd think he'd be the focus. This was in response to Altron's comment "we should take the psychopaths who hijacked planes and flew them into buildings, killing thousands of innocent american civilians, and let them walk away?"

Letting them walk away is pretty much what's been done.

Terrorism attacks innocents, heart disease attacks innocents. Heart disease just attacks a zillion times more innocents than terorism.

2minkey

bootlicker
china owns a ton of the US's dept.

it's a strategic blunder on our part.

wonder what'll happen with that shit when we level N ko-rea.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
all the social programs mentioned as democratic party whatevers are good ideas, just open to abuse.

Unemployment is good, keeps you and your family fed while you look for work, should be now prove your looking for work.

Welfare is good for those who NEED it, not those to lazy to work, or who's job is full time mom to pre school aged kids. Or those with REAL mental disorders. (mental disorders do not include drug addiction nor alcoholism)

Altron

They are like communism. In a theoretical world, they work, but apply it to real life, and it doesn't. Too many people want to avoid working and get free handouts, and it puts a financial burden on those who do work. Actually, those programs aren't like communism, they are communism.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
so which one would you like, kids left alone while mother works, or kids starve?

Or just take the kids away to a state run orphanage, and bill the mothers, cause that wouldn't be communism at all.

Professur

paul_valaru said:
so which one would you like, kids left alone while mother works, or kids starve?

Or just take the kids away to a state run orphanage, and bill the mothers, cause that wouldn't be communism at all.

Of course, encouraging/enforcing 2 parent families would just be silly.

Winky

silly indeed

that two parent crap has never werked
wherever its been tried

gay marriage is the answer, along with single Mom’s
raising the next crop of crap to fill the voting booths

wow how it must suck to be on the side of

fag marriage
siding with any enemy of the US
abortion
communist social programs
illegal immigrant invasions
outlawing guns for law abiding citizens
hmmm what did I miss…?

2minkey

bootlicker
Winky said:
wow how it must suck to be on the side of

fag marriage
siding with any enemy of the US
abortion
communist social programs
illegal immigrant invasions
outlawing guns for law abiding citizens
hmmm what did I miss…?

maybe some key developmental stages after puberty?