US Dating scene...

dan

So, I heard that in the states you really go in for the whole "dating" thing... like guy calls girl and says "do you want to go out for dinner" type of thing... and that's how things are done...

Seems kinda weird to me. We don't have that here in the UK at all. If you meet someone you like you'd say something like "hey, i'm gonna be at the Queen Vic on Friday night. See you there" for the first "date" or few.

Am I getting the right idea? How does the dating scene work where you live? Does anyone have experience of both the US and UK? What are the real differences?

Scanty

I sort of got that impression, but only because on US soaps and sitcoms you have these parents either going "You should be dating by your age!" or "You're too young to start dating!".
It seems like this set point in people's lives or something. I realise it's probably not like that at all, btw... :)

greenfreak

I've been out of that for over four years but when I was 'dating', it was more formal than telling someone you would meet them someplace. Usually though if I had already known them through friends, we would all be together anyway and the flirting would ensue, maybe some dancing, the buying of drinks. At the end of the night, the decision had to be made and what you usually hear is, "Would you want to go out with me sometime?"... I don't think the term 'date' has been used in a while. We always said we were "going out" with someone.

But the first 'date' was usually alone, for a meal or a movie. I wouldn't consider going to a club with a group of friends a date. I was pretty bold on the subject... If I liked a guy in our circle of friends and had it in my mind to go for him, I would just call him up and say, "We should go out." No beating around the bush with me, and I never got turned down with that approach. :D

Jeslek

Banned
nambit said:
So, I heard that in the states you really go in for the whole "dating" thing... like guy calls girl and says "do you want to go out for dinner" type of thing... and that's how things are done...

Seems kinda weird to me. We don't have that here in the UK at all. If you meet someone you like you'd say something like "hey, i'm gonna be at the Queen Vic on Friday night. See you there" for the first "date" or few.

Am I getting the right idea? How does the dating scene work where you live? Does anyone have experience of both the US and UK? What are the real differences?
Weird. I for sure call a girl up and ask her out like you mentioned in your first paragraph.

Hanging out with a girl or girls is different than dating. You can be friends and make arrangements (much like you said in your second paragraph) and buy them lunch and all that, but usually to show interest in a specific girl you would ask her in a rather serious tone (relative mind you,....) out on a date. That can be a movie, dinner, whatever.

I don't know, it is just different than asking a girl out just because you're friends. And dating is fun... Double dates too.:)

dan

yeah, i get the impression that you'd do much of the initial "getting to know you" stuff over a dinner date or something.... obviously people do go out for dinner here, but i reckon it's not something you'd do until at least there'd been some kissing going on...

Jeslek

Banned
Well, dinner usually happens BEFORE the kiss.... lol. The first few times she might not even offer to kiss you or you might not feel it appropiate. After a few dates, the kissing starts and so on.

I guess there are a few types of guys out there too. Some will get to know a girl and one hour later ask her on a date (lunch, dinner, movie, etc). Some will hang out with her first, talk to her more, and then ask her out. Personally, I'm a slow person. I prefer knowing a girl well before asking her out on a date in which I'm showing interest in her for a long term relationship.

Now a date can be between friends, ie if you need a date for a party and you don't have a girlfriend. :)

Scanty

I have to say, i'd like the whole getting to know you getting to know all about you getting to like you getting to hope you like me haven't you noticed suddenly I'm bright and breezy because of all the beautiful and new things I'm learning about you day by day.......thing.

It would be nice.

Ardsgaine

Wracking brain, thinking back over the ages *cue flashback camera effect*

When I was a lad, dating was dating. You fretted by the phone for an hour rehearsing how you would ask her out. Then, palms sweating, you dialed the number and stammered out something about a date in Yoda-English. ("Go out with me you would? On a date?") She would say something like, "sure!" Then you called at her house, took her out to eat and to a movie, and that was the date.

By the time I got into my twenties, it was a little different, not quite as formal or as anxiety inducing, but still basically the same. A date was a getting-together asked for by the guy, and agreed to by the girl. There were exceptions to that... there was one girl who asked me out a couple of times, and then there was that other girl who... well, nevermind that.

With Jan it was also a little different. Our first 'date' was when I woke her up at 12am and kept her up until 3am yakking. Our second was at a party at my house. Still, we did have real dates after that.

Ardsgaine

Jerrek said:
Personally, I'm a slow person. I prefer knowing a girl well before asking her out on a date in which I'm showing interest in her for a long term relationship.

How many dates before you let her tie you up with duct tape? :confuse3:

Jeslek

Banned
Ardsgaine said:
Jerrek said:
Personally, I'm a slow person. I prefer knowing a girl well before asking her out on a date in which I'm showing interest in her for a long term relationship.

How many dates before you let her tie you up with duct tape? :confuse3:
That isn't dating :p Thats having fun with friends. Who doesn't have a bit of fun with friends? (even if it involves duct tape) *grin*

Jeslek

Banned
I love it when girls fight a bit. Now, I will "shove it up my naan" and then I will see you Friday at 8pm. Good deal. :kiss: