Virtually all Iraq's utilities below pre invasion levels

flavio

Banned
Re: Virtually all Iraq's utilities below preinvasion levels

Professur said:
Well, it seems he's to blame for a hurricane.
Hadn't heard that he was being blamed for a hurricane. I had that heard that he was getting some blame for the lack of response he had to the hurricane and also for appointing a completely unqualified fool as head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Iraq though...I'll start another thread for it.

Edit: It is interesting that more money has been allocated for Iraq reconstructin than New Orleans.

And Flav, most of the damage was not done by americans, but my Saddam's own people. The american forces tried to minimize damage for one simple reason. They knew they'd be stuck fixing it afterwards. Saddams troops were the ones blowing up oil pipelines and generating plants.
I'd like to see any evidence showing that "most" of the damage was done by Iraqi's and not the thousands of bombs dropped in the US "Shock and Awe" terrorist attack. The US blew up pipleines also.

catocom

flavio said:
Hadn't heard that he was being blamed for a hurricane. I had that heard that he was getting some blame for the lack of response he had to the hurricane and also for appointing a completely unqualified fool as head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Iraq though...I'll start another thread for it.
:rofl2:
Flav, you gotta learn when people are shittin' with you, and being sarcastic.

HomeLAN

Nope, everything is extremely serious and pressing. After all, he's trying to single-handedly stop Bush from DESTROYING THE WORLD!

The end is neer! (apologies to chcr)

flavio

Banned

catocom said:
Flav, you gotta learn when people are shittin' with you, and being sarcastic.
Hell, I know. The Cons are uncomfortable with all the corruption, scandals, and incompetent performance surrounding the white house that is coming to light daily now.

They'll use various coping mechanisms to protect their mental block that keeps them from facing reality and firmly rooted in denial.

I could be off on some of these but it's something like,,,,

PT: Straw Man
Gonz: Hasty Generalization?
Winky: I think that's another Straw Man
Professure: Biased Sample maybe?
chcr: Ad Hominem
Inkara and Homelan: Red Herring

chcr

Too cute for words

chcr: Ad Hominem
Ad Hominem? Ooh, Latin. I guess I should feel, oh, flattered? I find the press' (liberal, conservative or otherwise) prediliction to overstate and sensationalize and your and Gonz's willingness to lap up same very much relevant and directly to the point. You two are just alike everywhere that it matters. I'm not particularaly surprised that neither of you see it, but I'll bet a lot of others do. I'll tell you something for free. It ain't as rosy as Gonz paints it but it's not as bad as you think it is either. ;)

rrfield

If the people who run the Iraqi grid are anything like those that run it in the USandA...they are screwed.

flavio

Banned

chcr said:
I find the press' (liberal, conservative or otherwise) prediliction to overstate and sensationalize
Based on "virtually all" and under that said 6 of 7? So then you ignore the whole thing? Maybe i should just call it nitpicking.

chcr

Too cute for words

flavio said:
Based on "virtually all" and under that said 6 of 7? So then you ignore the whole thing? Maybe i should just call it nitpicking.
I in no way ignore it, flavio. I said it's overstated and over sensationalized, not as bad as you're allowing yourself tobe led to believe. "Oh my god the poor Iraqis can't run their microwaves, air conditioners and electric ranges." I suspect that virtually all of them have more important things to worry about. People are dying and your're worried about trivia. :shrug: Your business, but I take things a bit more seriously than that and I don't generally accept stories in the popular media at face value because experience has shown that it's stupid to.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

Inkara1 said:
Just wondering, how many blacks were in the cabinet of "the first black president"?

:wave: :wave: :wave: PICK ME :wave: :wave:I KNOW :wave: :wave:

Inkara1

Flav, I've seen pieces of you in so many of those fallacy pages that it's not even funny. Hypocrite.

flavio

Banned

chcr said:
I in no way ignore it, flavio. I said it's overstated and over sensationalized, not as bad as you're allowing yourself tobe led to believe. "Oh my god the poor Iraqis can't run their microwaves, air conditioners and electric ranges." I suspect that virtually all of them have more important things to worry about.
Sure....maybe water.

People are dying and your're worried about trivia. :shrug: Your business, but I take things a bit more seriously than that and I don't generally accept stories in the popular media at face value because experience has shown that it's stupid to.
That's good, cause it looks like your just minimalizing things and discounting facts by simply labeling them away as "popular media".

People are dying and that is more important. People are dying, but I imagine if you lost your water and electricity you might not consider it trivial.

Really the point is that we've spent a fortune and lost all these lives and Iraqis are worse off than they were before the war and the reconstruction money is almost dried up.

Consider this....

NEW ORLEANS – Mayor Ray Nagin said Friday that the price tag to rebuild this city is being whittled down to meet the demands of the White House after officials balked at initial cost estimates.In the coming weeks, Mr. Nagin is asking the commission to tweak the plan, presumably to make it fit under the $15 billion cap he suggested would be more amenable to Congress and the White House. After that, Mr. Nagin is expected to present the final report to Mr. Bush.

This week, Mr. Bush criticized Louisiana for not having developed a rebuilding plan. The Bush administration also said it opposes a federal home buyout proposal from U.S. Rep. Richard Baker. Louisiana's top officials and the Bring New Orleans Back Commission consider the buyout plan crucial for recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
and this....

Banking on a quick military victory, little resistance and the use of Iraq’s oil revenues to finance the occupation, in January 2003, Mitchell Daniels Jr., director of the Office of Management and Budget, told the New York Times that the cost of a war would be in the $50-60 billion range.

But in a shocking paper published in January, Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz and Harvard budget expert Linda Bilmes say that a “moderate” estimate of the direct costs of the war in Iraq will likely be much higher--totaling as much as $1.2 trillion, assuming that the U.S. begins to withdraw troops this year and continues to every year until 2010. “Like the iceberg that hit the Titanic, the full costs of the war are still largely hidden below the surface,” they explained recently in the Los Angeles Times.

According to the United Nations, providing universal access to basic social services to everyone in the world who lacks them--including food, clean water and sanitation, primary education, basic health care and reproductive health care--would cost an additional $80 billion each year.

In other words, the “conservative” estimate of $1 trillion in direct costs of the war could bridge the shortfall and meet the basic needs of every person on the planet for more than 12 years.

The money spent to destroy Iraq could be put to good use in the U.S. More than 180 million young people could go to a public college for free for four years for $1 trillion. Or, it could cover the average salaries of the 4.3 million public school teachers in the U.S. for nearly five years.

Stiglitz and Bilmes make a further point in their report: “While we may not know what causes terrorism, clearly the desperation and despair that comes from the poverty that is rife in so much of the Third World has the potential of providing a fertile feeding ground.”

“For sums less than the direct expenditures on the war,” they conclude, the U.S. could have provided aid to poor countries “that could have made an enormous difference, for the better, to the well-being of billions today living in poverty.”
Source....
Popular or unpopular media I think you get the idea.

flavio

Banned

Inkara1 said:
Flav, I've seen pieces of you in so many of those fallacy pages that it's not even funny. Hypocrite.
Cool, maybe you'll be able to point out an error in my reasoning instead of making vague unsupported statements and namecalling like this.

Winky

Cheeky we all know what happens
to the guy that tries to be a middle of the roader

'he gets hit by a bus'

he who straddles fence

'gets splinters in nutsack'

who won't take a position

'gets it handed to him by those who do'

or sumthin' like that...

Winky

Hell I'll tell you whut!

Things are a damn sight better with GW in office
sending our troops rampaging across the middle east
(any many many many many other places around the world)
than if Al "I invented the internet" Gore had won,
we’d be having weekly jihad johnnie suicide bombings
taking place in the Malls, Movie theatres and the local carnicerías.

Thank Gawd for Dubya and the United States Armed Services

The best insurance half a trillion dollars can buy!

No wait, I’d like to see a lot more Shiite getting blown up
for half a trillion dollars, right?
=======================

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member

flavio said:
3 months? Maybe it's shorter though, I don't know if their required to meet the same standards as the US Army.

Ooooohh...lookie! He's trying to look knowledgable on military matters... :rofl4:

For those in the know...it takes a minimum of 4 years unless you get STEP promoted...and that will only get you one stripe. So that lowers it to 3 years. Most don't get to the NCO ranks until 5, or 6...;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Winky said:
Hell I'll tell you whut!

Things are a damn sight better with GW in office
sending our troops rampaging across the middle east
tiptoeing maybe...

chcr

Too cute for words
flavio said:
That's good, cause it looks like your just minimalizing things and discounting facts by simply labeling them away as "popular media".

I'm sorry that you don't get it. Not surprised, just sorry. :shrug:

catocom

Winky said:
Cheeky we all know what happens
to the guy that tries to be a middle of the roader

'he gets hit by a bus'

he who straddles fence

'gets splinters in nutsack'

who won't take a position

'gets it handed to him by those who do'

or sumthin' like that...
Not if you are a traffic cop. :lol2:

catocom

Gato_Solo said:
Ooooohh...lookie! He's trying to look knowledgable on military matters... :rofl4:

For those in the know...it takes a minimum of 4 years unless you get STEP promoted...and that will only get you one stripe. So that lowers it to 3 years. Most don't get to the NCO ranks until 5, or 6...;)
I knew you'd be back sooner or latter. :usa: