Well, we've seen book clubs

Professur

I'd like to propose a movie club. Once a week, all the members rent the same movie, and on monday, they meet here to discuss it. It would be one way for some people to be encouraged to see movies that they normally would never be caught dead watching.

And, rather than follow the biased claptrap of Oprah, the movie of the week would be put forth by the people here, on a rotating basis. Since some people, myself included, do have some movies that I will not watch ... coping out will be permitted on a very limited basis. No more than one miss per month or you're out of the club, unless the group accepts an appeal. For example, I'm sworn to never see any of the Starwars flicks. If one was selected, and then the next week, another was ... I'd expect my begging off of the first to be accepted of the second as well. But that would be up the the group at that point.

So, anyone else in?

Scanty

Count me definitely in. There is not enough movie talk around here, it's a great idea.

Online rental places are the best. I have a subscription to one at the moment. Money allowing, i'll keep it going.

Inkara1

I'd have to think about it. I've seen probably a total of 11 movies in my life (slight exaggeration) and Caity likes to make fun of me for that.

tonksy

If Rob'll agree then I'm in...(he hates movie rental places - especially the online ones).
If so, can the first one be Rocky? Apparently, I need to see it.

nalani

Oooh, sounds llke fun, I'm in! So, is it that one member choosed the movie of the week kinda thing? Smooth ...

Prof - I haven't seen any of the Prequels of Star Wars. Saw the first set in the late 70's/ early 80's but couldn't bring myself to *want* to watch the prequels ,not sure why LOL ...

Tonksy - Which Rocky? There's like ..... 15 or so LOL

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I've promised myself never to see any of the starwars flicks unless and until I find a man I love so much that I'm willing to watch them for him (every bf has asked me to watch them and I always avoid it). I'll say that I'm in too, I hope I can keep it up. Oh, I also don't do scary or anything like that (my tolerance is pretty low for horror).

nalani

Na - any of them :D

hehehehe .. I remember seeing the first one with my older brother ... don't remember much of it though except the ending, which was awesome ..

I remember watching the one with Mr. T .. don't remember which one that was or anything about it. I do recall the Dolph (whatever his name is) one - but for some reason, I think that might be the same one as the Mr. T one LOL ... that was at the height of our "America severely dislikes and does not trust the USSR" phase (how was that? veeerrryyy PC of me ;)

This latest Rocky .. the critics are raving about it .. I just think it's enough already .. leave it alone LOL

As for Star Wars, I honestly don't know what it is ... but I have a theory. I watched "Star Wars" in 1977, I think, with my cousin Stephanie from San Fernando. She was the assistant to Pierre Cossette (the producer) and I think I felt a bit 'famous' by association, if that makes sense :D ...

I saw "The Empire Strikes Back" during the summer I worked on my uncle's guava farm (where I currently live LOL) and the first thing I purchased with the money I earned was that ticket. I actually still have it in my memory book.

Return of the Jedi was just ultra cool. No super memory here LOL .. but maybe that's why I can't bring myself to watch the "newer" ones - like I'm betraying the memory??? *tries to keep a straight face and just dies laughing* .. somewhere out there is a psych major that's seriously buying this LOL

Inkara1

For some people, Star Wars has gone from entertainment to a lifestyle and that bugs me a little bit. Also, I felt the prequels were just Lucas capitalizing on the popularity/lifestyleness.

nalani

For some people, Star Wars has gone from entertainment to a lifestyle and that bugs me a little bit. Also, I felt the prequels were just Lucas capitalizing on the popularity/lifestyleness.

Oh, I don't know .. I'm sure he knew he'd make a lot of money since the fan base is kinda like "Trekkies" ... but there were a lot of questions that needed answering so I think this was his attempt to go back and try to answer them. How was Darth's Luke's dad and how did he end up with the Skywalkers? And is C3PIO gay? :D

Scanty

Wasn't Amidala pregnant at the end of the 6th episode? With Luke? I can't remember, I've tried to erase the last 3 films from memory.

unclehobart

YOu might be thinking of the 6th movie. She was dead for about 17 years when episode 6 came out.

Just remember that Star Wars was released in order 4-6 then 1-3.

tonksy

Ona sidebar, I joined the Women's club book club. In our meeting in February (my first meeting) we will be discussing So Big by Edna Ferber. I ordered it on ebay but I have the sneaking suspicion I read it in high school.