What is marriage

Professur

Since the topic has been riding high these past few days, I thought I'd open the floor up to find out just how diverse the definition and view of marriage is to our members. I do ask that people NOT argue against others views. Open discussion, but please remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how wrong you might think they are. Go try and convince them somewhere else.

This includes religious marriage, state marriage, common law, same sex, bigamy, polyandry, and any other you can think of. How do you compare them, one to the other?

Uki Chick

Professur said:
Since the topic has been riding high these past few days, I thought I'd open the floor up to find out just how diverse the definition and view of marriage is to our members. I do ask that people NOT argue against others views. Open discussion, but please remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how wrong you might think they are. Go try and convince them somewhere else.

This includes religious marriage, state marriage, common law, same sex, bigamy, polyandry, and any other you can think of. How do you compare them, one to the other?

Wow, what a good choice of topic Prof! See marriage in my eyes, whether it be common law, state, religious or any is a partnership. A sharing of life with a person, someone you chose to be with as your life partner. Someone to share the good and bad times with, to build a life with, to enjoy what is being thrown in front of you on a daily basis and deal with it together.

Winky

Marriage
it ain't what it used to be...
they have just about completely succeeded
in tearing down the institution

to the point where people have to ask:
"what is marriage"

and get everyone arguing about how to
"re-define" exactly what it is.

Uki you left out one widdle (outrageously important) detail there honey lol

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
The they you speak of is the people that have been allowed to get married. Remember that. A marriage is a partnership, between two adults, that they will honor and commit to each other according to the guidelines that they have agree to.

Winky

Should we preclude single mothers with children from
speaking to this subject? After all they could only
tell you what they'd like marriage to be like (ya know),
not what we've been doing for multiple decades,
you know, like (ya know) being married?

Winky

Marriage is the institution wherein you raise children
forsake all others
til death (not divorce court) do you part.

Oh and I don't have to fricken tell ya that it is between
a penis and a vagina [size=+6]DO I?[/size]

Uki Chick

Winky said:
Marriage
it ain't what it used to be...
they have just about completely succeeded
in tearing down the institution

to the point where people have to ask:
"what is marriage"

and get everyone arguing about how to
"re-define" exactly what it is.

Uki you left out one widdle (outrageously important) detail there honey lol

i agree it's not what it used to be. Some people get married just to get married. It's sad too. Quebec has the highest rate of divorce in Canada. That's the reason the woman keeps her maiden name after marriage, unless you want to pay to have it legally changed.

What did I leave out???

Professur

Stop already. Discuss and compare your own opinions. No Arguments. And, yes, single mothers have an opinion of what marriage is, as do children. I want them all.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
In my mind, marriage is a holy union of two people before God and witnesses. This entails numerous other ideals, such as fidelity, honesty with one another, pledges to comfort aid assist and respect one another, a commitment to share equally in prosperity and hardship, and a public affirmation of this relationship before witnesses, family, friends, etc.

It is not something to be taken or discarded lightly.

Common law marriage is not even close to the same thing. I wish it were not recognized anywhere.

Bigamy, ploygamy, same sex marriage...all are abominations and will not be recognized by me at least. I realize some religions allow polygamy. Some religions also allow virgin sacrifice. I condone neither.

I fail to see why this has to be so difficult. I understood what marriage was when I was in grade school. Now we see adults who for whatever reason don't get it.

You asked my opinion. There they are. Agree, disagree, whatever. No skin off my nose.

Uki Chick

Professur said:
Stop already. Discuss and compare your own opinions. No Arguments. And, yes, single mothers have an opinion of what marriage is, as do children. I want them all.

whose arguing?

catocom

Apparently my definition is to strict, hence I've never been married. :confused:

IMO, it's the "union" of "a man", and "a woman", "in the site of God".
Divorcement is an option, but I'm kinda fuzzy on the part about re-marriage.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
[princess bride]Mawwiage. Mawwiage is wot bwings us togevver today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement. That dweam wiv-in a dweam.[/princess bride]

marriage....hmm what is it in my opinion? It's 2 people living there life together as one. with compromise, and sacrafice on both ends. And when it all fits together it is a beautiful thing, and when it falls apart, it is time to move on.

I don't beleive god has any say in marriage, or that kids are a neccisty of marriage, and I beleive 2 men, or 2 women can be married if they love each other, marriage is what you mke of it.

PT

In my mind, marriage is a holy union of two people before God and witnesses. This entails numerous other ideals, such as fidelity, honesty with one another, pledges to comfort aid assist and respect one another, a commitment to share equally in prosperity and hardship, and a public affirmation of this relationship before witnesses, family, friends, etc.

It is not something to be taken or discarded lightly.

catocom

paul_valaru said:
but there is more than one religion. And there is more than religious marriages
agreed, but I'm talking about the religion our country was "founded" on.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
To me marriage is a union where there are no ME's and I's, just US and WE. That sums it up pretty well for me.

PT

catocom said:
agreed, but I'm talking about the religion our country was "founded" on.
Certainly that is not the only religon there is though? Nor is it the only religon that should be considered. Oh wait, we can't even consider that religon when we're talking laws, can we?