What sport(s) do you do?

Aunty Em

Arris said:
Did Judo when I was younger, only up to Orange belt (second after white).

In Judo we did something different but it was more learning to land after being thrown. It was called "Rolling breakfall" where you took the impact by rolling over when landing when thrown and sorta slapping the mat with you hand to lessen the impact of the roll.

I have a couple of books on Tai Chi and I really want to get into this for focus and relaxation, I just need to find a local club in Aberdeen, Scotland to join though :crying4:
Yes, we did that in Tomiki Aikido - in Aikijitsu - the fighting form you roll out of a fall and stand up without slapping the ground as it tends to break your arm on the concrete if you do! :lol:

To illustrate, I fell down a short flight of steps when I was 5 months pregnant, rolled out of it and only had a small bruise on my knee to show for it... when you've practised so many times it becomes second nature just to do it automatically.

The japanese police are trained in Aikijitsu... my instructor trusted me to take a class which was quite an honour. We only had a two belt grading system - white and black... different belts were invented to keep westerners interested in learning, I did it because I loved it and I would go back at the drop of a hat if I could. I was close to being awarded my black belt when I had to give it up. :(

Speed up Ti Chi and it's very similar in form... I've also practiced some Ti Chi in the past and found it physically much harder than any of the other forms, people forget that it is also a fighting art just chinese in origin. The phylosophy behind the two is virtually the same, they are primarily defensive arts and women do very well in them as you rely on your attackers speed and motion to defend yourself. It's all about moving quickly and using acute angles to avoid contact.