What to buy for the EIGHTIES WAGON

Altron

The Mazda is badass.

I put air in my tires. Starboard rear was at 14psi. Starboard front was at 23psi. Port rear was 29psi. Port front was 32. Now the rears are 39-40 and the fronts are 35-36.

Professur

Odds are that low one is a slow leak. With the low weight in the rear, it won't go completely flat, but it'll wear bad and pull. Give it a week, and do the round again. If they're all down to around where they are now, take it in and have the rim checked and cleaned, and get a new valve.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Odds are that low one is a slow leak. With the low weight in the rear, it won't go completely flat, but it'll wear bad and pull. Give it a week, and do the round again. If they're all down to around where they are now, take it in and have the rim checked and cleaned, and get a new valve.

yet another reason why I'm buying a new car :p

Altron

I went with the max pressure (44psi) minus 10-20%. I thought that I should do 32, but my mom said to do the number on the side, so we compromised to the high 30s.

HomeLAN

Assuming it's still there. If it's not, 31-32 is a good guess.

At those pressures, it'll wear hard to the inside.

Inkara1

I usually keep mine at around 34 to increase mileage a tiny bit. It's an extra few pounds, but not overly so. The car recommends 30 and the tires can handle up to 44.

Altron

Let some air out, now they're at 33 all around.

It's cool, the nozzle I have at the end of the compressor does a great job bleeding off excess air when detached from the hose.

*Like any real man, I have my own compressor, a 3hp thing that makes as much noise as a gas lawnmower and vibrates so much that it has it's own suspension. It's suspended on four springs on a wooden board with rubber feet, and it still moves around by itself. Gas station compressors are for the wimmins and chilluns.*

Definite performance and handling improvement. It's still an underpowered boat, but it's not too bad.

The problem I find is that I'm something of an old lady driver. I find myself going the speed limit, signalling early, letting assholes cut me off without going crazy on them. It's not anything concious, but I find myself being more cautious because I have a larger car and I don't have the acceleration or deceleration necessary for emergency manuvers. Of course, it's going to take two weeks in the Maxima to completely erase those habits and turn me into a little boy street-racer.

I just need to get more time in with the five-speed before I can use it as a daily driver. I can shift without many problems, and I can do back roads fine, but I find myself spending a fair amount of my time focusing on gears. Once I can shift it without having to think about it, then I start taking it to work.

It's a vicious cycle. 90% of my driving is to work, and a decent chunk of my pitiful salary goes towards the car. Worth it? Hell yes. I am a babe magnet with that bad boy. Aside from the daily 'Clark Griswold called, he says he wants his car back!' joke, it actually fares pretty well with the ladies. S'pose it reminds them of a limo.

Altron

I'm not trying to get out of those habits, I'm just observing them, and predicting whether they will last when I go over to the Maxima, sometime in the near future.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron said:
I'm not trying to get out of those habits, I'm just observing them, and predicting whether they will last when I go over to the Maxima, sometime in the near future.

So you will be getting rid of the boat?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Faster acceleration and 10-15 more miles to the gallon... seems like a no-brainer to me.

Yeah but he made it seem like the Maxima is his Dad's car and the boat was his own car...unless his dad is gonna give him the Maxima or something...

Inkara1

Sell it at a deeply discounted price is more like it, as best as I can see, since he'd talked about buying the Maxima, selling the tugboat and breaking even.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Sell it at a deeply discounted price is more like it, as best as I can see, since he'd talked about buying the Maxima, selling the tugboat and breaking even.

I wish my mom would sell me her car at a discounted price...