Whatcha doing tonight?

Altron

So today was indian lunch buffet, then an wild afternoong (we had to go to the pharmacy and the book store. Then I had to carry her microwave and fridge down two flights of stairs and two blocks away to my place)
Then pasta for dinner (spinach linguine carbonara for me, spinach ravioli alfredo for her. we go to a place which is really far away [3/4ths of a mile] but is pretty good. lots of cool Sinatra decorations in it, because he's from Hoboken).
Then we watched "Jumper" which was decent but not that great. Then Tasti Delite frozen yogurt for dessert (it's really good - if you're ever in Manhattan, definitely try it)

Altron

sometimes i feel like those hollow chocolate bunnies are a ripoff. They look like they're so big, but then you bite into them (ears first, as like 90% or some ridiculously high number of people do) and the whole thing crumbles, then all in all it's about as much chocolate as a Hershey's bar.

Although, in all fairness, I cracked one of my teeth at the ripe old age of 7, biting into a very large solid chocolate egg. So it's more of a safety issue. I just wish they filled the hollow part with something fun... maybe mousse, or caramel, or nuts, or marshmallow. Or at least add some structural integrity to the damn thing.

tonksy

LOL You should give some Louisiana places a spelling/pronounciation try.

Opelika
Opelousas
Thibodaux
Iowa (this is a pronounciation one)
Atchafalaya
Calcasieu
Natchitoches
Tchoupitoulas

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
The name comes from the Hitchiti okifanô:ki, meaning "bubbling water",[1] or alternatively "trembling earth" [2], a reference to its spongy bogs.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
So today was indian lunch buffet, then an wild afternoong (we had to go to the pharmacy and the book store. Then I had to carry her microwave and fridge down two flights of stairs and two blocks away to my place)
Then pasta for dinner (spinach linguine carbonara for me, spinach ravioli alfredo for her. we go to a place which is really far away [3/4ths of a mile] but is pretty good. lots of cool Sinatra decorations in it, because he's from Hoboken).
Then we watched "Jumper" which was decent but not that great. Then Tasti Delite frozen yogurt for dessert (it's really good - if you're ever in Manhattan, definitely try it)

Are you guys living together or something??

Also, as students how do you afford to eat out all the time??

JTP

LOL You should give some Louisiana places a spelling/pronounciation try.

Opelika
Opelousas
Thibodaux
Iowa (this is a pronounciation one)
Atchafalaya
Calcasieu
Natchitoches
Tchoupitoulas

My favorite Indian tribal name is from LA- Atakapas-
pronounced "Attack- a -paw"
oh, and how about that town Mamou?
I'm a Georgia Cracker who once worked in "Nack-a- dish" !!:biker:

tonksy

Nack a dish works just fine :)

I always have to stop and think about whether I mean Natchitoches, Nagadoches, or Natchez.

Have you been to Mamou? I have never made it there and it makes me sad. They throw quite the Mardi Gras festivities.

Altron

Are you guys living together or something??

Also, as students how do you afford to eat out all the time??

The dining hall is closed for the summer. So, instead of spending a fortune on the required meal plan, we are on our own for food.

Tips for eating out in Hoboken:
Order tap water, not soda or a hard drink. Tap water is free.
Skip the appetizer.
Eat at quick, cheap restaurants on friday and saturday. If you're going to go somewhere nice, do it on Wednesday or Thursday.
Find early bird specials. The Hoboken dining scene doesn't get going until 7-8pm on weekdays. If you go at 6pm, many places have early bird specials.
Find any promotions, and take full advantage of them. There's a Mexican place near us that has buy one get one free entrees on Tuesdays. We go every single tuesday, but never on any other day.
On the weekends, instead of an expensive breakfast and lunch, get a bagel or a sandwich at 11:30am.
Instead of going to the campus restaurant and spending $7 on a sandwich, drink, and fries - buy a 12 pack of soda, a half pound of turkey, and a loaf of bread at the grocery store. $35 is enough to feed two people, breakfast and lunch, monday thru friday.
At italian restaurants, get pasta, not meat. The veal parm is $18, but you can bet your ass that baked ziti is only $10.
At bar/grill type restaurants, get a sandwich. it's usually $8, versus $14-15 for a regular entree, plus it includes fries.

That's how I roll. During the regular semester, we're both required to be on $200/week meal plans to eat at the shitty cafeteria. We eat out in Hoboken for less than half of that, because there ain't no meal plan!

JTP

Hey, I did archaeology as my undergrad... cool. :) (and welcome)

Tonight? Not sure. Ain't made plans yet. Might cook something. Might go out. Depends on how cold it is, lol. :rofl:

Belated thanks for the welcome. Did you do a Field School dig?
I've gotta log off (invited to spaghetti and poker game w/ friends) but I'll be back in a day or 2.