Whatcha doing tonight?

JTP

Nack a dish works just fine :)

I always have to stop and think about whether I mean Natchitoches, Nagadoches, or Natchez.

Have you been to Mamou? I have never made it there and it makes me sad. They throw quite the Mardi Gras festivities.
Wow, Tonks- best Mardi Gras ever for me-1997 it was- old school- the men and boys of the town get together and go around to every house in the community, mostly on foot, but the old geezers ride horseback, in costumes, and each household contributes something- a chicken or duck, some crawfish, onions, file, herbs, whatever- and when all of this food is collected, they make a giant gumbo in a couple or three great big cast iron pots on the town square. There's a REAL Cajun band or 4 or 5 and everybody's eatin, drinkin, DANCIN, and passing a good old time. Laissez le bon temps roullez! Ahh-yee!

A.B.Normal

Wow, Tonks- best Mardi Gras ever for me-1997 it was- old school- the men and boys of the town get together and go around to every house in the community, mostly on foot, but the old geezers ride horseback, in costumes, and each household contributes something- a chicken or duck, some crawfish, onions, file, herbs, whatever- and when all of this food is collected, they make a giant gumbo in a couple or three great big cast iron pots on the town square. There's a REAL Cajun band or 4 or 5 and everybody's eatin, drinkin, DANCIN, and passing a good old time. Laissez le bon temps roullez! Ahh-yee!

Now that sounds like fun :beerbang:

tonksy

:(
I'll go back to visit Louisiana one day and that will be my stop for the Mardi Gras celebrations. It's touted as one of the best but it just never was a posibility for me. There are many things I would like to do again - Breaux Bridge crawfish fest, Iowa rabbit fest, Contraband Days.
Sometimes I really miss Louisiana. There's always a party somewhere.

ClarabellaUK

Always seems like the Southern states really know how to party... from what i've seen and read... :thumbup:

Madi Gras is on my Dream World Tour!

(Ooooh.. thread idea... gonna go search first... don't worry! Like a good girl! :swing: )

BeardofPants

Belated thanks for the welcome. Did you do a Field School dig?
I've gotta log off (invited to spaghetti and poker game w/ friends) but I'll be back in a day or 2.

Have fun!

And yes. We did a field-trip for our final year. It was all very exciting cos we found some human remains. :D

JTP

:(
I'll go back to visit Louisiana one day and that will be my stop for the Mardi Gras celebrations. It's touted as one of the best but it just never was a posibility for me. There are many things I would like to do again - Breaux Bridge crawfish fest, Iowa rabbit fest, Contraband Days.
Sometimes I really miss Louisiana. There's always a party somewhere.
Yeah, gurrl- The Natchitoches Meat Pie Festival, The Zwolle Tamale Festival, The Leonville Crawfish Festival- LA folks know how to party!

JTP

Have fun!

And yes. We did a field-trip for our final year. It was all very exciting cos we found some human remains. :D
If you don't mind me askin- where? Don't Panic- I'm not the Science Police- just interested.
We don't find human remains often in SE USA- acidic soil eats up the bones after a century or two. Usually just a dark stain in the soil and teeth.

tonksy

You said Zwolle tamale! That's another to hit. I lurv me some tamales.

BoP is from New Zealand so I am such that that is where they found the bones...am I wrong, BoP?

JTP

BoP is from New Zealand so I am such that that is where they found the bones...am I wrong, BoP?
Oh, wow- a Kiwi! What's the latest with the Kakapo, BoP?

JTP

That whole area of western Louisiana was once known as "The Sabine Free State"- you will see it marked as such on old maps. It was where horse thieves, outlaws, deserters (from at least 3 armies-French, Spanish, and US) congregated, as well as runaway slaves and dispossesed Indians.
Their descendants live there still and the place still has a wild feel about it. Saw a fella get his scalp peeled back with a crowbar at the Zwolle Tamale festival in 96. He was drunk and obnoxious and kinda askin for it, but still...
It's the kind of place you keep both eyes open and watch your manners.

tonksy

That's very interesting. I don't really know too much about the non-cajun history of that area, I should read up on it.
My 7 year old was born at Calcasieu-Camerson hospital not too far from the Sabine :D

I kinda like the southwest area of Louisiana. If I were to ever move back it would be to Lake Charles.

BeardofPants

Tonks is correct, and I'm not up to speed with the bird, sorry. ;)

The 2 bodies were in what remained of coffins (colonial graves). They were moved to the local cemetery .

JTP

That's very interesting. I don't really know too much about the non-cajun history of that area, I should read up on it.
My 7 year old was born at Calcasieu-Camerson hospital not too far from the Sabine :D

I kinda like the southwest area of Louisiana. If I were to ever move back it would be to Lake Charles.

Question: What separates a coonass from a jackass??

Answer: The Sabine River.

Only Cajuns and Texans "get" that joke- and the Texans usually don't laugh!

Lake Charles? Why not DeRidder?
P.S.- There are petrified dinosaur tracks on the banks of the Sabine. I've seen 'em- that or the largest damn turkeys this planet has ever produced!
OK now I've REally got to ZZZZzzzzz.

JTP

Tonks is correct, and I'm not up to speed with the bird, sorry. ;)

The 2 bodies were in what remained of coffins (colonial graves). They were moved to the local cemetery .

What time slot qualifies as "Colonial Period" in New Zealand? I could look it up, but would rather get it straight from a real Kiwi.

"Ah seen it on the Internets, so it must be trew!"

tonksy

JTP said:
Question: What separates a coonass from a jackass??

Answer: The Sabine River.

:rofl4:
JTP said:
Lake Charles? Why not DeRidder?
P.S.- There are petrified dinosaur tracks on the banks of the Sabine. I've seen 'em- that or the largest damn turkeys this planet has ever produced!
OK now I've REally got to ZZZZzzzzz.

Duh - ridder? NAH....I like the "coastal" feel you get from Lake Chuck. It has a great sense of community yet still has things like cable internet and water that doesn't taste funny (even if it is slightly orange)

JTP

:rofl4:

Duh - ridder? NAH....I like the "coastal" feel you get from Lake Chuck. It has a great sense of community yet still has things like cable internet and water that doesn't taste funny (even if it is slightly orange)

Yeah, I had some of that orange water in Lake Chas. Good food in a restaurant there- can't remem the name...bad experience with a cop down the road in Sulfur, LA. The guy tore apart my vehicle looking for drugs (I didn't have any, but long hair and a beard is Probable Cause there). He finally gave up and left me beside the highway with all my work tools and camping gear strewn everywhere. Guess I'm lucky he didn't plant some dope on me. He sure was eager to make an arrest. Bad case of "Barney Fife Syndrome".:finger:

tonksy

Was it a pizza joint? Tony's pizza makes the best chicago style outside of chicago....but your probably talking seafood, huh?

Poor Sulphur cops...they see such little action :laugh5:

JTP

Was it a pizza joint? Tony's pizza makes the best chicago style outside of chicago....but your probably talking seafood, huh?

Poor Sulphur cops...they see such little action :laugh5:
Not pizza, seafood fresh off the boat. Over a decade ago and still have pleasant memories of that meal. It helps that my girlfriend of the time, Jody, was there. We had decided to go our separate ways, but amicably. That's always good.
I have no sympathy for that particular Sulphur cop- may his testicles rot off!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member

Speaking of your 7 yo...how old are your kidlets now? (trying to figure out if the 7y/o is #1 or #2...if it's #3 then time is passing faster than I thought).