When you put something out for free ...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It's my second surgery and I have yet to pay a penny for anytime in the hospital or medical treatments.

Didn't have to pay a penny for 'birthing babies' either.... I understand that the cost for a birth 'down south' is $8k or so?

Too bad. Paying your way teaches responsibility.

jimpeel

My biggest argument for CanMedicare is my appendectomy. Emergency surgery, two days in the hospital, post-surgical consult 1 week later, ventolin for my shortness of breath and a bill for $0.00 at the end.

It's my second surgery and I have yet to pay a penny for anytime in the hospital or medical treatments.

Didn't have to pay a penny for 'birthing babies' either.... I understand that the cost for a birth 'down south' is $8k or so?

No, you paid a penny for Joe's apendectomy. You paid a penny for Mary's pregnancy. You paid a penny for little Liam to be born. You paid a penny for Jim, and Joan, and Reginald, and Margaret, and George, and Stan, and John, and Ian, and Mike, and Georgine, and on, and on, and on; and every one of them paid a penny for you.

You are delusional if you believe that the care simply comes from some divine source and not from the pockets of you and your fellow citizens.

As P. J. O'Rourke said "If you think health care is expensive now, wait 'til its free."

spike

No, you paid a penny for Joe's apendectomy. You paid a penny for Mary's pregnancy. You paid a penny for little Liam to be born. You paid a penny for Jim, and Joan, and Reginald, and Margaret, and George, and Stan, and John, and Ian, and Mike, and Georgine, and on, and on, and on; and every one of them paid a penny for you.

You are delusional if you believe that the care simply comes from some divine source and not from the pockets of you and your fellow citizens.

No shit Jimbo, kinda the way US helathcare works now except the focus is on profits instead of making people better. I imagine it would be obvious that it's why we spend so much more but have a less effective system.

Georgine? :laugh:

2minkey

bootlicker
Too bad. Paying your way teaches responsibility.

um, what? i'm too busy running up charges on my credit card from asinine, disposable purchases to really understand this thing... what is it.... responsibility?

MrBishop

As P. J. O'Rourke said "If you think health care is expensive now, wait 'til its free."
Of course I did...and I will gladly keep paying my taxes without bitching so long as those surgeries are available to all citizens, without restraint and without all the red0tape to cut through or loopholes to jump around.

I walk in, I give over my 'sun card', I get treated...period.

THAT, my friend, is EXACTLY where I want my taxes going... health, safety, education and infrastructure.

As opposed to war, weapons, beurocrats and bank-bailouts. :glasses:

2minkey

bootlicker
As opposed to war, weapons, beurocrats and bank-bailouts. :glasses:

now now, charity to halliburton and AIG is good, because companies like them keep our moral compass where it should be. it's the little people that do bad shit and milk the system.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
War/weapons are Constitutiuonal.
Bailout & gov't controlled healthcare aren't.

Bureaucrats are forever.

Professur

Universal healthcare works better than our system in over 30 other countries.

There goes that theory.

A well thought out universal healthcare does. A hairball system thrown together as part of an election campaign, managed by political appointment and funded through an unequal taxation process doesn't.

nalani

Does Hawaii even have that many kids?

Roughly 25% of our population are children under 18 - 10% are under 5 years old. 14% of our population are kupuna or elderly. We have a lot of Micronesians migrating here .. a LOT .. and like other ethnicities who migrate to find a better life, they bring with them their entire family .. so that estimate is rising.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A well thought out universal healthcare does.

Assuming you start with a nation of young people & have near 100% well paid employment & a 45% tax rate. Otherwise, there's no incentive to enter medicine or R&D pharmaceuticals. There's also such a draw on the plan that sooner or later (my bet is sooner, way sooner) the inherent flaws show up.

It's cheaper to schedule a mastectomy in 8 months than to provide one today.

jimpeel

Assuming you start with a nation of young people & have near 100% well paid employment & a 45% tax rate.

And that's the key. Where will the funds for socialized health care come from when half the nation retires all at once. I was born after WWII and I will be one of those millions and millions of baby boomers who will be loading the system in years hence. Yeah, a lot of us will die off but the burden will be felt entirely by the younger generation. They can't all be Doctors and lawyers and the manufacturing segment here in the U.S. is all but gone. How will a country that has a service based economy deal with that kind of economic load?

It's cheaper to schedule a mastectomy in 8 months than to provide one today.

Even cheaper if they die before then. Of course there is always socialized funeral care yet to be invented.