• House

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • Apartment

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Other....(please specify)

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

tonksy

4 Bedroom, 5 bath (1 is a halfbath and one only has a shower), 3 story (but the basement is not in use by us) in a neighborhood.

Inkara1

HomeLAN said:
built around 1970
That wiring's copper and not aluminum, right? 1970 was right in the heart of the aluminum wiring craze... the houses with it didn't start burning down until 1974.

Right now, I'm in a small 1/1 apartment that was converted from two old motel rooms. The motel used to be by where the freeway is now, but it got moved sometime in the late 1960s (getting it across the creek must have been fun). I'm not sure how old the place really is, but I suspect it's got knob-and-tube wiring because I've had to pull a light fixture before and it had two separate, thickly-insulated wires coming through a hole in the drywall with no box.

The place I'm moving to is a two-bedroom, one-bath front half of a duplex. the landlady said it was built in the 1930s but the architecture style doesn't tell me 1930s and it's got all three-prong outlets which, unless it's been completely rewired, tell me it's newer than the 1949 house my family used to live in a while back, which had mainly two-prong outlets.

Aunty Em

2 bed rented appartment(one is now my office/workroom), bathroom(with shower), lounge, kitchen(nice and new last year :D ), small utility (where my tumble drier and meters are) and an outside shed, with a small garden... adapted for disabled living. No garage (I could rent one for about £6 a week), but there's a layby where I park my car out front. It has cleaning services and gardeners who keep the communal areas clean and tidy. It's council/public housing so rent is an affordable £64 per week and £11 local(council) tax (based on the average wage in the area).

Atm my neighbours are very quiet and we all get along ok, but I'd like to move to one of the bungalows at some point as my upstairs neighbours are getting on a bit and I really don't fancy living below a family with a couple of kids. My upstairs neighbour also cuts the grass in my garden for me as I can't do it. I'm hoping to be able to put a deck down and replace the lawn with a low maintainance surface when I get a job. Then I'll probably invite everyone to a barbi. :)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
I live precisely where I want to be. It'll take the hounds of Hell to get me out of here. Though I wouldn't mind it if I still had the house...

Grass fires, broken bones, house fires...they're getting there

HomeLAN

Inkara1 said:
That wiring's copper and not aluminum, right? 1970 was right in the heart of the aluminum wiring craze... the houses with it didn't start burning down until 1974.

Copper, but still totally FUBAR'd due to the "efforts" of past owners who mistakenly thought they knew WTF they were doing. I got a lot of it corrected in the renovation, but I still need to pay it some attention. No outright fire hazards, but some mickey-mouse shit.

These are the same idiots who managed to self-install storm windows all the way around - backwards. :rolleyes:

Professur

HomeLAN said:
These are the same idiots who managed to self-install storm windows all the way around - backwards. :rolleyes:

Hey, you don't know the kind of family arguments they were having. It's possible that the biggest storms were indoors.

Inky, there's nothing wrong with aluminium wiring .... if it's done correctly. In fact, by most counts, it's superior to copper. the problem is when you don't prepare the ends of the wire correctly, or hook up to non-AL rated receptacles and switches. You can't just slap things together like with copper.

HomeLAN

Professur said:
Hey, you don't know the kind of family arguments they were having. It's possible that the biggest storms were indoors.

It's certainly possible. There was a large deadbolt installed on the master bedroom door when we bought it.

woodman19_99

2 bedroom apartment to myself (mostly), with a large kitchen, dining room/livingroom, small storage room, 1 full bath, and a porch. It's in a two apartment townhouse, with a "view" of NYC.

I can't wear hats cause my mellon is to big, and I look like a SPED student when I have one on...

HomeLAN

Why do you say shit like that? It's like poking a bear with a stick.

*Moves away from SnP and the lightning strike he just invited upon himself*

HomeLAN

Well, when life kicks you in them as often as it has to you lately, I suppose there's bound to be some swelling....

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Here's the weird thing...

My boss' boss. Nice guy, kind to animals, all that stuff. I started chemo for melanoma. A year later, his doc finds a melanoma on him, and he takes chemo.

My back went to hell. six months later, his back goes out.

My house burned down. Two months later, his catches fire (fortunately more smoke and water damage than anything else).

I bet he cannot WAIT for me to hit the lottery.

Professur

SouthernN'Proud said:
Here's the weird thing...

My boss' boss. Nice guy, kind to animals, all that stuff. I started chemo for melanoma. A year later, his doc finds a melanoma on him, and he takes chemo.

My back went to hell. six months later, his back goes out.

My house burned down. Two months later, his catches fire (fortunately more smoke and water damage than anything else).

I bet he cannot WAIT for me to hit the lottery.

Go to work and tell him you got ass raped. Bring a camera.

unclehobart

What is your definition for a mansion? I clicked it because my place is rather large... but not exactly Gone With the Wind grade. It could go either way.

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
What is your definition for a mansion? I clicked it because my place is rather large... but not exactly Gone With the Wind grade. It could go either way.
I'd say it's gotta have at least 20 rooms to qualify for mansionhood.

tonksy

It's not a mansion. At least by realistic standpoints. It's big but not digustingly so.....now maybe if I had use of the basement I might have a different standpoint but for all intents and purposes our part of the home is a 4 bedroom, 4 bath, 2 story house.