While American troops dead or wounded daily, Obama's decision on troops "weeks away".

ResearchMonkey

Re: While American troops dead or wounded daily, Obama's decision on troops "weeks aw

Yeah that Japan, such failure.. :s

spike

Re: While American troops dead or wounded daily, Obama's decision on troops "weeks aw

Afghanistan is exactly like Japan. :rofl3:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

You might want to look into pre-WW2 Japan.

spike

Just like Afghanistan :laugh:

Cerise

Perhaps he sees himself as Vivien Leigh from "Gone With the Wind". "Oh, well, I'll worry about that tomorrow."

As Cap'n Butler:

"Rhett, if you go, where shall I go? What shall I do?"

obamafrankly.jpg

spike

It's like all your arguments are based on very poorly photoshopped images.

Cerise

No, great minds think alike. A GWTW coincidence?? I don't think so.

2minkey

bootlicker

i'd say more like lousy bumperstickers, spike...

Mirlyn

A bit more than a week later...
CBS said:
McChrystal wanted 40,000 and the president has tentatively decided to send four combat brigades plus thousands more support troops. A senior officer says "that's close to what [McChrystal] asked for." All the president's military advisers have recommended sending more troops.

But they also have warned that troops alone will not win the war unless Afghan President Hamid Karzai cleans up his government

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/09/world/main5592551.shtml

Well, good to know we're throwing more at a problem that can't even be fixed by us in the first place....

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member

A bit more than a week later...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/09/world/main5592551.shtml

Well, good to know we're throwing more at a problem that can't even be fixed by us in the first place....

I disagree. We can fix the problem...if we are allowed to do so. The real problem is allowing politics to dictate our military actions. Has been since the end of WWII...

MrBishop

How would you fix it, Gato?

2minkey

bootlicker

I disagree. We can fix the problem...if we are allowed to do so. The real problem is allowing politics to dictate our military actions. Has been since the end of WWII...

or that's been the favorite military eulogy since WWII, a period that has included largely low grade "wars" without clear boundaries (where's the front, jim?") against locals that will never fully be defeated. if only they would hold formation and fight!

ResearchMonkey

WW2 was a fine example of letting the generals fight the war.

If you do not read and understand this book, you will lose.

bamboobookbindingucrr.jpg

2minkey

bootlicker

yeah "since WWII" is the operative thingy here.

and WWII was more or less the last conventional standing armies type of war.

2minkey

bootlicker

that's because there is no answer. it's all armchair conjecture at best.

chcr

Too cute for words

If we put a republican back in power and things still continue to go exactly the way they have been for years, would that be okay then? Huh?

MrBishop

you know you won't like the answer, don't you?

I prefer answers to silence and grandstanding.
I gave my own answers on several occasions...often referring to dealing with the support structure of the Taliban et al.

I still state that the standard military premise won't work with the 'terrorists'. They aren't a standing army which can be routed, there are no generals to capture and kings/presidents to sign treaties. There are leaders..people at the top of the echelon, but their removal doesn't silence the war...if you could identify them or get to them, that is.

If this was a traditional war, it would've been won years ago...by the deposition and hanging of Saddam Hussein or the driving of Usama bin Laden into hiding and perhaps death. Yet the military presence in Iraq and Afghanistan remains and faces difficulty in bringing either country into stability. Why? The target and the methods were and continue to be wrong.

Local support, financial support, moral support. There are your three legs. Knock one down and you destabilize the Taliban, knock two down and you pull their teeth, knock the last one down and you can bury that kind of terrorism.

The first is being addressed. People living in villages are having their fear of the Taliban lessened. If they don't fear going against the Taliban, they remove their support including the giving of food and shelter to Taliban fighters.

catocom

If we put a republican back in power and things still continue to go exactly the way they have been for years, would that be okay then? Huh?

not to me

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

Perhaps, perhaps not.

What's your solution?