While American troops dead or wounded daily, Obama's decision on troops "weeks away".

catocom

Re: While American troops dead or wounded daily, Obama's decision on troops "weeks aw

similar plan to what was implemented in Iraq.

Depending on what the locals step up and do, depends on the success.
Not good using unknown variables in decision making imo.

'doing the same thing, expecting different results?'

I just do see how the results would be any better, if even as good, as in Iraq.

The new scenario combines reinforcements for fighting Taliban insurgents with trainers aimed at rapidly increasing the size and capabilities of Afghan troops to take on more operations themselves. It wouldn't aim to eliminate the Taliban, but weaken it until Afghan forces can secure major population centers themselves.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/10/obama-receives-new-afghan-hybid-option/?test=latestnews

sounds like the best plan to get as many of our soldiers killed as possible.:retard4:

MrBishop

Re: While American troops dead or wounded daily, Obama's decision on troops "weeks aw

Sounds a lot like what I was talking about...though how they plan on weakening the taliban?

chcr

Too cute for words

not to me

Perhaps, perhaps not.

What's your solution?

Then one has to wonder why the exact same thing was okay when a republican was in charge, doesn't one? BTW, it's a rhetorical question. I already understand the answer.

Solution: With apologies to Gato, who's largely right but it will never happen, cut our losses. Do it now or do it later, the result is the same and sooner helps the bottom line. We have neither the resolve nor the international support to actually make a difference and I'm not sure we can afford it anyway.

catocom

Then one has to wonder why the exact same thing was okay when a republican was in charge, doesn't one? BTW, it's a rhetorical question. I already understand the answer.

I don't quite get the question, could you rephrase?
Because even though you mat know the answer, I don't because I don't understand the question,

I think you are saying you think there's hypocrisy, but I'd like a chance to
express my view, if I can fully understand your question.

catocom

ok,m I think I catch your drift now...

here's the thing.
I voted for bush the first time because I thought 'respect' should be brought
back to the office. I thought he'd do it.
I never liked his domestic polices, and if you go back and look you'd see it's a matter of record here.
I did think he was doing right in his first term overseas. I was wrong.
I farther felt I didn't have a choice in the next term, because I couldn't vote for kerry.
Bush started screwing up worse, and totally betrayed us then with that bailout.

So, no it wasn't ok.

ResearchMonkey

Bush didn't so well on 2nd, he did keep the pressure on.

The surge in Iraq worked. He left Obama plans for a surge in Afg to Obama. Obama has let the momentum build against us in the meanwhile. Momentum is a major factor in fighting a war, any war.

chcr

Too cute for words

ok,m I think I catch your drift now...

here's the thing.
I voted for bush the first time because I thought 'respect' should be brought
back to the office. I thought he'd do it.
I never liked his domestic polices, and if you go back and look you'd see it's a matter of record here.
I did think he was doing right in his first term overseas. I was wrong.
I farther felt I didn't have a choice in the next term, because I couldn't vote for kerry.
Bush started screwing up worse, and totally betrayed us then with that bailout.

So, no it wasn't ok.
Sorry cat, I misunderstood your previous position. For most of the self-professed "conservatives" on this board it seems that Bush's policies re the Taliban and Iraq were fine but now that Obama is continuing those particular policies it's all wrong. Not very coherent I'll grant you.

ResearchMonkey

LOL, @ liberals who attacked everything Bush did or didn't do, but let Obama slide at every turn.

Petreas was declared a liar before he even testified.

catocom

Sorry cat, I misunderstood your previous position. For most of the self-professed "conservatives" on this board it seems that Bush's policies re the Taliban and Iraq were fine but now that Obama is continuing those particular policies it's all wrong. Not very coherent I'll grant you.

yeah, i did my best to try to support bush as pres during war time, but
that bailout took the last little bit of haze off my eyes.

is why I really started backing barr.

I'm con in most of my views, but do have some lib views somewhat more, on
like abortion, mj, gay rights (basic human decency issues)...

I'm not wishy washy, but do have varying views, as to lib or con.
Every time I try to get with one of the major parties, they ALWAYS turn.
Piss on both of um. The bastiches.:hmm:

ResearchMonkey

Back to no action from the POTUS, momentum points to the terrorist.

On Afghanistan, Obama Chooses "None of the Above"
Obama rejects all options for Afghanistan

President Obama chose General Stanley McChrystal to chart out a new Afghanistan policy eight months ago -- and we're still not there yet.

do your job

Obama has stated that this war is very important, but he hasn't told us why he believes it important. Something about bin Laden during the election but he hasn't said anything about brother binny since he's been elected.

Maybe its time we cut our loss and run.

2minkey

bootlicker

He left Obama plans for a surge in Afg to Obama.

:laugh3:

yeah he had the grand strategy all worked out. because, you know, he paid a lot of attention to afghanistan.

and it's just like iraq so a surge would be effective as it seems to have been (just wait a couple years) in iraq.

valkyrie

Back to no action from the POTUS, momentum points to the terrorist.

Obama has stated that this war is very important, but he hasn't told us why he believes it important. Something about bin Laden during the election but he hasn't said anything about brother binny since he's been elected.

Maybe its time we cut our loss and run.
That's what we did the last time. We abandoned Afghanistan and left Pakistan to deal with the refugees. Now we have a bunch of young kids joining the Taliban believing we had nothing to do with helping them expel the Soviets from their land when we supplied them and supported them and without our help they'd have been under Soviet rule in no time at all.

I'm glad that Obama is taking his time on this decision. These soldiers are human beings, for Pete's sake! They're brothers and sisters, fathers and mothers, sons and daughters! They're not just there to die for you. I'm glad Obama is considering everything and making an informed decision. To rush into a decision would be foolish and reckless.

JTP

Afghanistan Plan-
Give all the mercenaries the pink slip. Tell all civilian contractors to pack it up pronto.
Make a plan for an orderly, secure withdrawal of troops and civilian personnel and STICK TO IT. Even if it takes a year or more, form a plan and make it stick.
Let the Karzai government stand or fall (after we're out). Root, Hog- or die.
Instead of medals and empty ceremonies, let's give our vets the best of medical care, counseling, good-paying jobs and the easiest transition possible back into peacetime life.
Spend at least some of the money saved on a few well-placed spies and informants to keep any possible resurgence of terrorists at a low level of threat.
Damn, what's there to dawdle around about?

JTP

Oh yeah? Which part?
The "Spies and Informants"?
The KGB was so inefficient as to be scary.
"Soviet Intelligence" is over-rated. They were about as subtle as a hand grenade in the punch bowl, especially in places like Afghanistan.
Not that we did much better, from what I can read. We need to take notes from the Brits and Israelis. Those folks know a little somethings about espionage.

JTP

I'm as serious as the doctor who knows good and well that you don't have long to live, but I'm not going to tell you until we have run a few more tests.

MrBishop

Since when is Islam your enemy?