Who killed the Electric Car?

chcr

Too cute for words
American cars in the 70s and 80s were crap. They are better now. OTOH, when something major fails on a newer car it's generally more expensive to fix.

Altron

chcr said:
American cars in the 70s and 80s were crap. They are better now. OTOH, when something major fails on a newer car it's generally more expensive to fix.

My car is from the 80s.

Professur

And for those of you still following the drama, the missus has moved on from the Impala, past a quick fling with the Wave, and is now under the spell of a gold '05 Malibu 2.2l.

Anyone have any experience with the Eco-tec 4-banger? One good thing is that the engine bay is meant for a 6, so there's room galore to work in there. She says it turns on a dime, has decent visibility, and is comfortable. (I think she was feeling a bit lost in the Impala) And all that was before I showed her the adjustable pedals.

http://www.occasionenor.com/en/Search/Details.aspx?veh_id=349749

Inkara1

Much better looking steering wheel. Does it have room for six passengers? It would certainly get better gas mileage... plus, I believe that's the same engine as Nixy has. Too bad you can't get her to go with an '06 though... they improved the look of the nose for 2006.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I heard the biodiesel conversion kit is somewhere in the vicinity of $1800. NOt bad whn you consider that you will get free fuel.

HOWEVER

if just 5% of the US diesel automobiles convert to biodiesel, how long before we're complaining about big french fry oil.

Winky

Toyota Echo replaced by the Yaris in 07.

38 MPG combined

It would be better if they'd offer a ultrahigh mileage
version that didn't have that 1.5 liter 106 horse engine

a good 60 mpg car is what we need

does gas have to hit five bucks a gallon before
good mileage becomes a priority?

Inkara1

Winky said:
Toyota Echo replaced by the Yaris in 07.

38 MPG combined

It would be better if they'd offer a ultrahigh mileage
version that didn't have that 1.5 liter 106 horse engine

a good 60 mpg car is what we need

does gas have to hit five bucks a gallon before
good mileage becomes a priority?

It's so fuel-efficient, it can get all the gas it needs from smooshing little gas spiders.

Professur

Inkara1 said:
Much better looking steering wheel. Does it have room for six passengers? It would certainly get better gas mileage... plus, I believe that's the same engine as Nixy has. Too bad you can't get her to go with an '06 though... they improved the look of the nose for 2006.

dude .... what is it with you and steering wheels?

Actually, the milage compared to the Impala isn't that impressive. Eco-Tec 2.2l 42H/29C, 3.4l 40h/25c. Not exactly what I'd call earth-shattering. And it only seats 5 .... but 5 comfortable. Trunk's maybe 2/3s the size of the Impala.

But. The missus was much more comfortable driving it. I guess the Impala was just too much car for her.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
I heard the biodiesel conversion kit is somewhere in the vicinity of $1800. NOt bad whn you consider that you will get free fuel.

HOWEVER

if just 5% of the US diesel automobiles convert to biodiesel, how long before we're complaining about big french fry oil.
Those damned thieves at Wesson!!!!!

Professur

I can just see the drive thru at McDonalds taking on a whole new meaning.

"Yeah, gimme the quarter pounder combo with a coke, 2 chicken McNugget happy meals with apple juices .... and $20 of premium.

Inkara1

Professur said:
dude .... what is it with you and steering wheels?

Same thing as not buying a Pontiac, a BMW, an Audi, etc. because they have that orange lighting on the dashboard. I prefer green/blue. The steering wheel is always in the corner of my eye, and if it's ugly, it would constantly grab my attention and make me say, "damn, that's an ugly wheel." Not good for something you're paying a lot of money to drive.

The highway mileage of the 2.2 isn't much better than the 3.4... but the city mileage is 4 km/l better. That can add up hella quick, since I'm assuming she'll be using it for daily run-around trips.

Inkara1

For trips, yes... but for day-to-day stuff, just how loaded down is the car going to be?

Professur

4 people, all the time. with baby gear.

And, btw, the red dash lighting was a big selling point for me with the Transport. Red effects your night vision less, meaning you can see the road better.

Inkara1

Maybe so... and center-mounted speedometers (Toyota Echo/Yaris, Saturn, etc.) are supposed to make your eyes have to adjust less on the road. I still hate them both.

I particularly love how the blue-green lighting reflects off the metal face of the speedometer in the 1962 Fairlane.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Professur said:
4 people, all the time. with baby gear.

And, btw, the red dash lighting was a big selling point for me with the Transport. Red effects your night vision less, meaning you can see the road better.

However...as you age...red becomes harder for your eyes to focus on. ;)

Professur

You're not supposed to fuzzcus on the dash when you're driving in the first place. That's why they still use guages instead of digital readouts in aircraft. And why digital speedos died a quick, horrible death. Guages dead centre can be (and should be) read with nothing but the peripheral vision.

That's one thing I don't like about the Mirage. The straight up on the speedo is 120km, instead of 100. That's alright for places with a 70mph speedlimit, but not here.