Why drilling won't help with the oil crisis

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
You'd have to nationalize oil production...and take yourself out of the oil-producing nation status...thus avoiding world-market prices.

You don't have to do that and you know it. You're grasping at straws...any straws...just to say we shouldn't do it. First it was environmental concerns...which I never addressed simply because drilling takes p a lot less real estate than strip-mining those oil sands. Then it was "It won't do anything for 10 years"...which I said was the same argument used 10 years ago which did nothing to alleviate the crisis then (the Saudi's upping their production did that, ironically), and now its about nationalizing. I think you should leave that insanity-ridden province you're living in...its starting to adversely affect you.

That was a slam on Quebec, not Bish.

MrBishop

You don't have to do that and you know it. You're grasping at straws...any straws...just to say we shouldn't do it. First it was environmental concerns...which I never addressed simply because drilling takes p a lot less real estate than strip-mining those oil sands. Then it was "It won't do anything for 10 years"...which I said was the same argument used 10 years ago which did nothing to alleviate the crisis then (the Saudi's upping their production did that, ironically), and now its about nationalizing. I think you should leave that insanity-ridden province you're living in...its starting to adversely affect you.

That was a slam on Quebec, not Bish.
Nah..it's always been (for me) that trying to 'work' the supply/demand equation being a false target.

Gato_Solo

Nah..it's always been (for me) that trying to 'work' the supply/demand equation being a false target.

But thats the only target we have until we have new technology. What you're advocating is designing and building a new target with no means of supporting the old one until the new one is ready. A recipe for disaster.

MrBishop

The old one doesn't need support, per se. It's running just fine...it's just being run by the wrong people in American opinion, that is.

2minkey

bootlicker
let's not forget to rationalize the costs of our continuing involvement in the middle east into our price of fuel calculus. including about 345 tons of dead american soldiers.

spike

But thats the only target we have until we have new technology. What you're advocating is designing and building a new target with no means of supporting the old one until the new one is ready. A recipe for disaster.

The new one is ready.

Gato_Solo

The old one doesn't need support, per se. It's running just fine...it's just being run by the wrong people in American opinion, that is.

You know...Its looking more and more like you are afraid that new wells in the US would wipe out your need for those oil sands. Why else would you be so against drilling?

MrBishop

I'm not fond of the scrapings going on in Alberta, though it does bring us cash. :canada:

My company just LOVES the Oil Sands :D

I seriously doubt that the new wells in the USA would impact the price of oil or the profitability of the Oil Sands projects all that much :shrug:

Gato_Solo

I'm not fond of the scrapings going on in Alberta, though it does bring us cash. :canada:

My company just LOVES the Oil Sands :D

I seriously doubt that the new wells in the USA would impact the price of oil or the profitability of the Oil Sands projects all that much :shrug:

If you think about it...drilling is more environmentally friendly than strip-mining. Also a hell of a lot easier...meaning cheaper. In other words...we start drilling and you lose money. Anything else is a smokescreen. ;)

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
If you think about it...drilling is more environmentally friendly than strip-mining. Also a hell of a lot easier...meaning cheaper. In other words...we start drilling and you lose money. Anything else is a smokescreen. ;)

I would love to see the oil sands slowed down, it is an enviromental disaster, and we can save them for a later time.

but even if the US starts drilling the oilsands will continue.

Gato_Solo

Once again, my point is made for me by this story. Our whole way of life is under constant manipulation by OPEC and all thats being bandied about is the mindless blathering of the eco-nazis who have no workable plan of their own to get us off the teat...

VIENNA, Austria — When oil prices go down, OPEC slashes production and the cost of crude rises, right?

Maybe not this time. With the global economy edging toward recession, the specter of diminishing supply has been blown away by a stunning lack of demand that now has the market in a stranglehold.

Ahead of Friday's emergency meeting of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, the question is not whether the 13-nation group will cut production, but by how many millions of barrels. Spooked by prices that have slid more than 50 percent from record highs of around $147 in July, OPEC is on the defensive.

Chakib Khelil, Algeria's oil minister and OPEC's current president, speaks of a "significant" reduction from the present daily output of around 29 million barrels, and expectations are that the group could pare up to 2 million barrels from that figure.

Rare cuts of that magnitude have in the past led to significant crude price hikes.

catocom

yep, got me enough Sta-bil to do 96 gallons of gas.
I'm hoping gas will drop to 2.50 here
The sta-bil comes out to about .48/gl