Will it make you crap faster?

PrincessLissa

chcr said:
Habaneros are all heat and very little flavor. I recognize that it's trendy to like them now, but jalapenos are better IMO. Good chili doesn't need either.

Next question: Beans or no? I prefer with, but either way is good.

Oh, and Inky? I didn't really like Carroll Shelby's mix either, and Ex-Lax will make you crap faster. ;)

I don't eat them cause they are trendy. I wasn't even aware it was trendy. Anyway, here in Colorado we are really high in elevation and ALL produce looses a lot of flavor. It really sucks. I usualy put jalepenos and a little bit of habenaro to heat it up a bit cause the roasted chilis and the jalepenos put together just don't cut it. I like things really hot and spicy. I usualy make my green chili with just green chilis as Erik isn't a "make your nose when when you eat it" kind of person. Fresh produce in Colorado is SO different than I have found in the south. I ate a fresh peach down there once and was shocked and amazed! Even Farmer's Market stuff here isn't that fresh.

PrincessLissa

HomeLAN said:
I grew up with 4 women, and went through pregnancy and birth with my wife. You simply can't scare me with that stuff.

Well, I wasn't trying to scare you, just be gross.

And I might add, that you are an awesome man for being there with her for all that and putting up with all the things that good men go through when thier wife is pregnant. We may have a lot hormanal junk and lots of aches and pain, but men take it really hard psychologicly. Not only are they dealing with Psycho Chick pregnant momma, but also they have thier own feelings and worries about the baby coming.

Thulsa Doom

wait wait... why is everyone knocking habaneros here like its the cool thing to do? thats like saying "coffee beans are over rated". theres tons of them. not just the super market variety. I grow three different kinds myself. But i prefer thai hots. good and small and crunchy and firecracker hot but not damaging. great for eating raw with some good romano and some peperoni and fresh bread...

Inkara1

I should mention that I asked if Shelby's Chili will make you crap faster not because of the potential for hereditary diarrhea (it runs in your jeans :D), but because Shelby makes cars go faster.

unclehobart

Thulsa Doom said:
wait wait... why is everyone knocking habaneros here like its the cool thing to do? thats like saying "coffee beans are over rated". theres tons of them. not just the super market variety. I grow three different kinds myself. But i prefer thai hots. good and small and crunchy and firecracker hot but not damaging. great for eating raw with some good romano and some peperoni and fresh bread...
All I ever see down here are habaneros in the pale yellow to red prototypical common variety whose only job in life is to be fricken hot. If there are offshoots that supposedly have flavor, please direct me to page that describe the variants.. or .. hell... send me some... with more bottlecaps :)

tonksy

i grew some pretty habaneros but they were some hot puppies. they overpowered most of my recipes so i ended up using them all in pico de gallo. very nice.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Inkara1 said:
I should mention that I asked if Shelby's Chili will make you crap faster not because of the potential for hereditary diarrhea (it runs in your jeans :D), but because Shelby makes cars go faster.

Alright. That's ENOUGH! :tomato:

Inkara1

Did I ever tell you about the "worst joke award" I won during a "future problem solvers" competition in 8th grade?

unclehobart

Steve, You remember your chili recipe offhand? I'm starting to get a might peckish for some old school vittles.

HomeLAN

Hmm, I don't really recall having a specific chili recipe. It was just sort of whatever ground meats/sausage, beans, and other yummies I had around at the time. The real deal's in the spices, and I never really did the same thing twice, as I never really felt I'd nailed it.

Gato_Solo

HomeLAN said:
Hmm, I don't really recall having a specific chili recipe. It was just sort of whatever ground meats/sausage, beans, and other yummies I had around at the time. The real deal's in the spices, and I never really did the same thing twice, as I never really felt I'd nailed it.

Most chilies I make use paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cilantro as a spice base. Once you get the meat cooked and drained, you add the spices, onions, garlic, and tomato sauce, in that order. Of course, if you like yours with beans, I hope you soaked them overnight, and cooked them earlier, otherwise you'll be forced to use canned. Once the beans are added, you crank up your heat. Sliced jalapenos, habaneros, or scotch bonnets, whatever floats your boat. Let simmer for a around 5 minutes, and then top with a bit of shredded cheese. ;)

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
No. I get someone else to do it for me. Not that chili's any part of my regular diet.

Ahh...you're work ethic doesn't have much life at the home. ;)

abooja

Gato_Solo said:
Most chilies I make use paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cilantro as a spice base. Once you get the meat cooked and drained, you add the spices, onions, garlic, and tomato sauce, in that order. Of course, if you like yours with beans, I hope you soaked them overnight, and cooked them earlier, otherwise you'll be forced to use canned. Once the beans are added, you crank up your heat. Sliced jalapenos, habaneros, or scotch bonnets, whatever floats your boat. Let simmer for a around 5 minutes, and then top with a bit of shredded cheese. ;)
Five minutes?? I cook my chili for at least two or three hours. :alienhuh:

I don't like to use generic chili powder, either. Lately, I've purchased a selection of fresh and dried chilis -- pasilla, chipotle, ancho, poblano, jalapeno, serrano, etc. I roast, seed, and grind the dried ones and saute the fresh ones along with the meat after it's been browned. I also use dark red kidney beans. One time, per someone's suggestion, I hand chopped all the beef and also added espresso. Unfortunately, I can't attest to the success of that particular recipe as I fell asleep before turning off the stove (it was on very low), giving the chili a charred, metallic taste the next day. All that cooking also wiped out most of the heat of the chilis. Sucked.