Wisdom Teeth...

tonksy

Sorry, I thought he asked Monica earlier in the thread and didn't get an answer.
Why'd you have an emergency C-section? I love a good labor story.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Sorry, I thought he asked Monica earlier in the thread and didn't get an answer.

Well then...while I myself have never spawned the story of my own birth is rather...colourful.

We lived over 2 hours from the hospital, my mom went into labour at some crazy hour, like 4am or something...my dad drove her to the hospital where she endured approximately 13 hours of labour, when it came down to the "nitty gritty" she was alone because the sight of blood made my dad pass out and she decided that if he wasn't there then she didn't want anyone else there either. So, apparently the doctor could see my head and told her to stop pushing because if she pushed anymore she could break my neck...she says that the time waiting for the anestesiologist (sp?) was the longest of her life, she was terrified to even move and it was horrible. Anyway, they then had to do so much cutting that they kept her sedated for three days, when she first came out of the OR she asked my dad "Was she born yesterday or tomorrow?" (I was born 11:29pm so she meant "Yesterday or today" by the time she saw my dad. After 3 days she had the amazing revolution of "I've been here three days and haven't gone to the bathroom!!!" (she had a catheter). I was also non responsive when born, from what I understand something about being affected by the anesthesia.

So, there you go, the story of how I almost wasn't.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Also, she refused to have any more children unless she could have an elective C-section. I've heard of people have emergency sections and then deciding to try vaginal again the second time around but I guess it was so scary for my mom that she wasn't willing to potentially repeat. The doctor told her that he couldn't determine if it was her "shape" or my position that caused the issue...

Inkara1

You never want to have a vaginal birth if you've had a C-section in the past. Studies have shown that it's not as dangerous as previously thought... but that just brings it from really, really, really, really fucking dangerous to really, really fucking dangerous.

tonksy

Lots of women have vaginal births after a C-section. The determining factor is what caused the initial C-section to begin with.

Starya

Over here having a c-section once is not considered reason to have it again, unless the reasons for the first c-section are still present. Uterus-rupture (in the scar) is very dangerous but also very rare. Still, mothers who have had previous c-sections are monitored extra closely because of this.

Starya

Mine isn't that interesting. I came down with preeclampsia in the third trimester, and got to spend three weeks in hospital. They were planning on inducing labour the same day I had the c-section - the morning check-up didn't show what they wanted to see, so I had to get my breakfast sucked right outta me again. *handonhip I got various tubes inserted, rolled off to a surgery room, got my belly washed with *eek!* something cold. The handsome nurse I mentioned before was a chatty guy who distracted me quite nicely (he wanted me to check if he had garlic breath :grinno: ) until I closed my eyes, and next time I opened them the same handsome nurse was there (and congratulated me on my son). Later there was puking, sleeping, semi-conscious nursing (with a nurse being flabbergasted I already had milk - nursing went like a charm from the start :hippy: ). The Critter was three weeks early, but big and healthy.

Oh, and a few days after the birth I looked like a different person to the nurses, after the water left my system, and I went from "Michelin woman" to just plain "fat". :D

Aunty Em

Nah, I didn't puke after my C-section either... annoying aren't I? No doubt I'll get my come-uppance this time around... LOL.

I'm not looking forward to drips and nasogastric tubes, and maybe a drain if they take out my gall bladder as well, I can tell you.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
How long was it that you C-sectioners were up on your feet and walking around?

Again I'm gonna answer for my mom. With my brother (whose was born 8:29am) she was up and walking around that afternoon.

Starya

Hm, don't really remember. Had the Critter around noon, think I was up and carefully about the next day, in the afternoon.

BlurOfSerenity

Ash, what they knock you out for?

they knocked me out because my dentist anxiety is so bad. its, like, really, really, really bad.

and on the subject of anesthesia making one puke... i puked 11 times that night :(
but i was doing things i shouldn't have been. i should have been laying down and taking it easy, but i wanted to walk around and go about my usual business. and i got really hungry, because at one point i realized i hadn't eaten in a whole 24 hours (because of the pre-surgery fasting and stuff), and so i tried to eat, and i don't think that helped either (when i'm hungry enough, and then try to eat, sometimes i puke... seems completely backwards, to me). and blood in your tum-tum will make you puke too.
but yeah. 11 times in one night. that must be some kind of record.

Aunty Em

How long was it that you C-sectioners were up on your feet and walking around?

They kicked me out of bed about teatime... Katie was born at 10.50am... the sooner you can get moving after a major op the better... less chance of complications like DVT.

Aunty Em

I was up and moving as soon as my epi's wore off but I had my youngin' the old fashioned way.

I had an elective C Section,which in retrospect I'm glad of, or I would have missed those 15 years with my precious daughter as it's unlikely she would have survived a normal birth with her heart problem... Just 4 days until what would have been her 18th birthday.