Wish me luck...I'm about to...

HomeLAN

GA-81DML is a Gigabyte Micro-ATX motherboard which takes pentium 4's.

Luckily, it's not proprietary, and any ATX PS will fit it. Either move the posts around and leave the back plate off the case, or go buy a micro ATX case.

chcr

Too cute for words
BTW, Bish, are you sure your case (I'm assuming you bought new) didn't come with more than one backplate? In any case, that's a fairly standard setup for a mATX board and like HomeLAN says, you can always just leave it off.

Link to .pdf manual for board

HomeLAN

Actually, not any ATX PS will do. Like all P-4's it needs the 20 pin ATX connector AND the 4 pin. Most of 'em have both these days, though.

My concern was that it was a pull from a comcrap or HP and had proprietary power connectors. That would've ended your little project right there.

HomeLAN

chcr said:
BTW, Bish, are you sure your case (I'm assuming you bought new) didn't come with more than one backplate? In any case, that's a fairly standard setup for a mATX board and like HomeLAN says, you can always just leave it off.

Link to .pdf manual for board

In my experience, the mobo will come with it's own backplate, just to be sure. The case usually just comes with what it comes with. And yeah, it ought to work fine with the case with some post movement and yanking the backplate. May not look beautiful back there, but who cares?

chcr

Too cute for words
HomeLAN said:
In my experience, the mobo will come with it's own backplate, just to be sure. The case usually just comes with what it comes with. And yeah, it ought to work fine with the case with some post movement and yanking the backplate. May not look beautiful back there, but who cares?
But the mobo was used, from Cam, right?

I've gotten some retail ones that have and some that haven't, just suggesting he check and make sure. The cheapo online ones hardly ever do though. Interestingly, some of the pricier premium ones don't either. I keep a half-dozen or so varying ones around just in case myself (and the handy-dandy Dremel :D ) but if you only build one every couple of years that's kind of overkill.

MrBishop

No the DML

just the DM

Didn't seem to come with a spare plate....wouldn't leaving the back off entirely just invite a whole troupe of dust-bunnies into their new cozy home?

HomeLAN

Yeah, I've probably got 3-4 different ones lying around in inventory. The trick is finding the one I need. :D

I've never seen a new mobo that didn't come with one, myself, but then I tend to stay pretty strictly with Asus. Hard to argue with free, though, backplate or no.

HomeLAN

Dust bunnies are just a fact o' life. Clean 'er out from time to time.

What am I missing? That looks like it fits.

MrBishop

The MoBo has a spare plate...

remove part of the plate from the Case...slide the MoBo over towards the right....and cross my fingers?

MrBishop

HomeLAN said:
Dust bunnies are just a fact o' life. Clean 'er out from time to time.

What am I missing? That looks like it fits.
Take a look at pic#2 . to the left of the Orange port overlaps with the card-slots. There's a UBS/Netowrk port that's blocked.

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
No the DML

just the DM

Didn't seem to come with a spare plate....wouldn't leaving the back off entirely just invite a whole troupe of dust-bunnies into their new cozy home?

Oh, sorry. No LAN then?

Anyway, you're going to get the dustbunnies regardless. Putting an extra fan in the front of the case to keep positive pressure will help, but I still vacuum mine out once a month or so. Just knock out the existing backplate and move the board up to the top set of posts and you should be good to go. Like HomeLAN says, ugly but it won't affect the board working.

HomeLAN

Ah, gotcha. Leave the backplate off, then. Seriously, the inside of that case is going to attract dust no matter what you do.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
On the backplate, the screwholes should be marked. At least a couple of them. Move the raised screws aruond until you get a fit cause, at least on most cases, ATX & M-ATX both work.

HomeLAN

Need to learn to read. If the mobo came with one, use it to replace the backplate in the case, and slip it in there. Shoudl fit the top left post, and you can move the others around as needed.

MrBishop

chcr said:
Oh, sorry. No LAN then?

Anyway, you're going to get the dustbunnies regardless. Putting an extra fan in the front of the case to keep positive pressure will help, but I still vacuum mine out once a month or so. Just knock out the existing backplate and move the board up to the top set of posts and you should be good to go. Like HomeLAN says, ugly but it won't affect the board working.
Okey-dokey... I've got the spare plate and the will to make it fit.

Thanks again for all the heads up... BTW. If you happen to find the .pdf for the non-Lan Mobo that I'm palying with...would you be so kind as to post'er here?

MrBishop

HomeLAN said:
Need to learn to read. If the mobo came with one, use it to replace the backplate in the case, and slip it in there. Shoudl fit the top left post, and you can move the others around as needed.
Old board..no book to go with it, or I'd have RTFMed for a while first. I appreciate the help...much obliged!

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
If you happen to find the .pdf for the non-Lan Mobo that I'm palying with...would you be so kind as to post'er here?

Don't see it on their US site. If I get ambitious later I'll look at the Taiwan site. I missed the part about the spare backplate too, sorry. Still, those screw holes above (to the right in your pic) should line everything back up if I'm seeing it correctly.