Worst covers and good covers??

IDLEchild

Worst cover - My vote goes to Avril Lavigne's cover of "Chop Suey" by System of a down. She knows how to kill an amazing song, she butchred that song like only a true sadist could.

Good cover - Limp Bizket's cover of "faith" was quite good. They put of a pretty good spin on this song. Also "behind Blue eyes" on their latest album is pretty good despite the presence of an annoying special effect half through the song.

freako104

i have a tribute album of black sabbath and all of the covers are good but my faves on ti are
Megadeth: Paranoid
White Zombie:children of the Grave

also marilyn mansons version of sweet dreams,Dixie Chicks version of Landslide,godheads version of Elenor Rigby

korn did a good job on one by metallica

orgy's version of blue monday

and the ataris version of the Don Henly song the boys of summer

Mirlyn

Buttcrackdivine said:
Good cover - Limp Bizket's cover of "faith" was quite good. They put of a pretty good spin on this song. Also "behind Blue eyes" on their latest album is pretty good despite the presence of an annoying special effect half through the song.
I loved my Speak and Spell as a kid. That is, until my parents bought me the math version too. :mad: By the way, what does it saying after P? It drives me nuts.

Best cover....hmmm.....thats a toughie. You have covers and you have renditions. Best cover would probably be Aerosmith's Come Together. :headbang: Classic.

Mirlyn

freako104 said:
godheads version of Elenor Rigby
They also did While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I personally don't see these as covers, I see them as renditions. Both very good though.

IDLEchild

Mirlyn said:
I loved my Speak and Spell as a kid. That is, until my parents bought me the math version too. :mad: By the way, what does it saying after P? It drives me nuts.

Huh?

Mirlyn

Buttcrackdivine said:
pretty good despite the presence of an annoying special effect half through the song.
That special effect is a Speak and Spell.

...it says "L-I-M-P-say-it"

IDLEchild

Mirlyn said:
That special effect is a Speak and Spell.

...it says "L-I-M-P-say-it"

Oh, it says discover after that.

L-I-M-P discover. Pretty useless in a otherwise good song.

Mirlyn

Buttcrackdivine said:
Oh, it says discover after that.

L-I-M-P discover. Pretty useless in a otherwise good song.
Yeah, I think it says discover after "say" or "say-it"

tonksy

i hate the new 'boys of summer', i hate anything that page and plant did on their 'reunion tour'....slaughtered 'thank you', i hate mariah carey and every fucking cover she has ever done, i hate the country version of aerosmiths 'i don't wanna miss a thing' or whatever it's called

i like the violent femmes version of 'do you really want to hurt me', the fuji's version of 'killing me softly', tom jones' version of 'kiss', both garth brooks and billy joels' 'shameless', uncle krackers 'drift away'.....i'm sur there is more....

IDLEchild

All the covers of "what i like about you", by the Kinks, suck.

The Alien Ant farm's cover "smooth criminal" by Micheal Jackson was amazing.

Ms Ann Thrope

the only two I can think of right now that I love nearly as much as the originals: Roxy Music's version of Like a Hurricane (Neil Young) and the Talking Heads performing Take Me To The River (Al Green)...

tonksy

Buttcrackdivine said:
The Alien Ant farm's cover "smooth criminal" by Micheal Jackson was amazing.
good call, bcd....and you too, ms ann thrope, on the talking heads.

i can not believe these words are coming out of my mouth, but celine dion's version of 'i drove all night' is great!

Mirlyn

unclehobart said:
The best cover of all time is Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann (sp?) ... a remake of a Bruce Springsteen tune.
bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinded by the light......

well, I guess Stuck In the Middle With You has been replaced with this song for being stuck in my head.

chcr

Too cute for words
Mirlyn said:
I see them as renditions. Both very good though.
Someone who knows there's a difference!

Worst ever: Piece of My Heart--Faith Hill
Best ever: Mr. Bogangles--David Bromberg
(Mannfredd Mann's Blinded was pretty darn good though, unc.)
Funniest ever: Fiwe (Fire)--Robin Williams

Best rendition: Old '55--The Eagles
(although I really like Tom Waits original as well)
Close second: Africa--Cindi Lauper